ADVERTISEMENT

Since Cal Works for/ Reports To Barnhart Why Can’t Barnhart Demand Coach Cal Be More Respectful In The Way Coach Cal Address’s The UK Fanbase

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
I think one of the things that has really irritated the UK Fan Base is the lack of respect Coach Cal shows the UK fan base by the way he talks down to us like we know nothing about basketball. Maybe Barnhart can’t fire Cal because of the ridiculous lifetime contract 😩Barnhart gave Cal but I would think Barnfart could insist that Cal try to mend the bridges and the divide Cal has caused by talking down to the BBN. Should Cal choose not to take this direct edict from his boss Barnhart and be more respectful to the UK BBN fanbase than fire Cal on grounds of insubordination. Cal has got to understand that in no way is he singularly bigger than BBN as a whole. Eat some humble pie Coach Cal or get the hell out of dodge!

Last edited:
I think one of the things that has really irritated the UK Fan Base is the lack of respect Coach Cal shows the UK fan base by the way he talks down to us like we know nothing about basketball.

It's irritated me since his first press conferences here and post game interviews with Tom Leach. He's ALWAYS condescending towards others about basketball. It's just been revealed more of late and definitely broke the spirit of the program, just like he's broken good shooters for a decade.

He wants to break people down and then build them up his way, except his way only "works" when people don't play his way. They have to learn to play his political games then do what comes natural to them instead, and lead like Davis and others did.

His ego is huge because it's fragile. I'd feel sorry for him, but he makes 9M a yr.

Reactions: UKMKG
As an Iowa fan, I wish we had your basketball problems. We haven't even been to a Sweet 16 in 24 years and lost at home to Eastern Illinois in our last game despite being a 32 point favorite going in.
I'm sensing a deal could be struck...we need to sell Cal on everything Iowa City has to offer. Are you guys cool with being a G league farm team? Do you have a few million you could throw his way towards his buyout? Have your people call our people

PS: no take-backs

I'm sensing a deal could be struck...we need to sell Cal on everything Iowa City has to offer. Are you guys cool with being a G league farm team? Do you have a few million you could throw his way towards his buyout? Have your people call our people

You want Fran McCaffery? Granted, he's not got a clue of how to coach defense. He now has over 500 career wins at DI but never been to a Sweet 116 as a HC. Yes, you read that right. His wife is known to be very voicetrous. Fran can have a temper at times too.

Oh, ffs. This is the most pathetic, mamby pamby, wah wah complaint.
Who cares about the fans? Suck it up. All the criticism that players, or coaches get. It's ridiculous that anyone whines about respect for the fans. So cringe it makes my skin crawl. Oh, he's condescending, Mitch should tell him to be nicer. Gawd almighty, calling us Bennies is so minor. And I say this as someone who thinks Cals lost it.

You want Fran McCaffery? Granted, he's not got a clue of how to coach defense. He now has over 500 career wins at DI but never been to a Sweet 116 as a HC. Yes, you read that right. His wife is known to be very voicetrous. Fran can have a temper at times too.
I want no part of Fran, I just want Cal gone. He's yours for the taking. With little money, you too can win 1 post season game every 3 years

Reactions: rucker4
Oh, ffs. This is the most pathetic, mamby pamby, wah wah complaint.
Who cares about the fans? Suck it up. All the criticism that players, or coaches get. It's ridiculous that anyone whines about respect for the fans. So cringe it makes my skin crawl. Oh, he's condescending, Mitch should tell him to be nicer. Gawd almighty, calling us Bennies is so minor. And I say this as someone who thinks Cals lost it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but a good chunk of money comes from the fans. I agree, whining about respect is petty. But voicing your thoughts with empty seats and lost revenue speaks much louder

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
If Barney had a set of nuts, which he doesn't, he'd immediately suspend Cal for poor performance. Pay his worthless ass, just don't let him near the team. He'd leave in a matter of weeks. F him, worthless prick.
This. Can’t get rid of Cal just yet sadly. But that doesn’t mean you still have to kiss his ass. CLs office would magically be gone. Like broom closet gone.

Start yanking away his perks. But Mitch won’t do it.

Why? Because I think he secretly hates the fan base as well.

I want no part of Fran, I just want Cal gone. He's yours for the taking. With little money, you too can win 1 post season game every 3 years
Damn, I was hoping maybe a trade of coaches and maybe some future recruits we could throw in too.

When you ink a lifetime cokntract....you have little control over the future. And since Mitch had little to no control in the past...this is what you get.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
We lose to Louisville Saturday and my views will change
With what it looks like Louisville has for a team this year even a Calipari-lead team should have the game in hand 10 minutes in.

But hey, remember this: Louisville had a former UK coach in Pitino at one time. Maybe lightning can strike twice and they will take Calipari off your hands once they fire Payne.

When you ink a lifetime cokntract....you have little control over the future. And since Mitch had little to no control in the past...this is what you get.
Make Calipari the poster child for bad ass long term contracts and the evils of them.

He can go on the wall next to Indiana football coach Tom Allen-- who currently has a $20 million buyout. Tom Allen couldn't be successful at Division III.

And then there's Mel Tucker on that wall too from Michigan State. Holy damn!

As an Iowa fan, I wish we had your basketball problems. We haven't even been to a Sweet 16 in 24 years and lost at home to Eastern Illinois in our last game despite being a 32 point favorite going in.
We're KENTUCKY, though some among us don't seem to understand all that implies.

Or at least we used to be. Maybe we will be again someday, but that's not guaranteed (see Indiana for details).

We're KENTUCKY, though some among us don't seem to understand all that implies.

Or at least we used to be. Maybe we will be again someday, but that's not guaranteed (see Indiana for details).
Indiana getting very respectable again- but needed to turn back to a player from when they had their glory years to coach them. You have anyone like that waiting in the wings?

Make Calipari the poster child for bad ass long term contracts and the evils of them.

He can go on the wall next to Indiana football coach Tom Allen-- who currently has a $20 million buyout. Tom Allen couldn't be successful at Division III.

And then there's Mel Tucker on that wall too from Michigan State. Holy damn!
Yeah...the rule of thumb should be if you think you have an elite coach...then pay him top 5 dollars per year for up up 4-5 years which is basically a recruiting cycle. Other than that, it's sort of dumb and hardly ever pans out.

Maybe I can see a case for Duke and Coach K who built it all up from zilch....but Ky, even Michgan st and Mel Tucker....Mich St has been a solid program for decades before Tucker got there.

I think one of the things that has really irritated the UK Fan Base is the lack of respect Coach Cal shows the UK fan base by the way he talks down to us like we know nothing about basketball. Maybe Barnhart can’t fire Cal because of the ridiculous lifetime contract 😩Barnhart gave Cal but I would think Barnfart could insist that Cal try to mend the bridges and the divide Cal has caused by talking down to the BBN. Should Cal choose not to take this direct edict from his boss Barnhart and be more respectful to the UK BBN fanbase than fire Cal on grounds of insubordination. Cal has got to understand that in no way is he singularly bigger than BBN as a whole. Eat some humble pie Coach Cal or get the hell out of dodge!
Cal owns Barney via the contract......too much $$$$ needed to buy it out.

With what it looks like Louisville has for a team this year even a Calipari-lead team should have the game in hand 10 minutes in.

But hey, remember this: Louisville had a former UK coach in Pitino at one time. Maybe lightning can strike twice and they will take Calipari off your hands once they fire Payne.
Just curious, really, but would the fan base hate Calipari for going to Louisville as much as they did Pitino? That thought just popped into my head.

Just curious, really, but would the fan base hate Calipari for going to Louisville as much as they did Pitino? That thought just popped into my head.
You'd know better than me. I'm not certain the mood of things in Kentucky.

From afar, seems like you guys are a very divided basketball fan base as it relates to Calipari.

I do know though that Louisville has a standard they must maintain and if things don't dramatically get better with Payne in two years he'll be gone. Seriously, Calipari would be able to go nowhere but up if he were at Louisville.

Reactions: susan2361
This. Can’t get rid of Cal just yet sadly. But that doesn’t mean you still have to kiss his ass. CLs office would magically be gone. Like broom closet gone.

Start yanking away his perks. But Mitch won’t do it.

Why? Because I think he secretly hates the fan base as well.
Nah man. I heard Mitchell get on radio one time a few yrs ago say that we had great fans! Now you don't say things like that if you don't love these fans. 😬

Wah, wah, wah

I may be different. But I don’t give a crap how any Coach addresses me as a fan. This isn’t me taking up for cal. I feel the same about all coaches. They don’t owe me anything except a winning product. Just win. Nothing else matters

Reactions: michaeluk26
Try approaching it from a different angle. If the 5 star recruits stop committing to UK, then either Cal would have no choice but to leave or the admin would have to dump the chump.

Barnhart needs to go to Cal and tell him he's going to Maui or Alaska or Las Vegas or Bahamas or WHEREVER there's an in-season tournament next year and if he doesn't like it he can pound sand.

• Haha
Reactions: Praetorian_Cat
Best thing Barnhart could do right now, is take another AD position somewhere else.

He neutered himself the second he gave Cal that contract, now, Cal owns him.

If he does anything to Cal, except kiss his ass, he'll look like the bad guy.

That would solve all UKs problems

I was going to go along with that. Say for you all to give Cal $10 million a year and take him from us but Brainfart would just give him an $11 million a year deal for life/afterlife. He'll be around here haunting us for decades. Can hang out with the Bear throwing curses on us.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT