ADVERTISEMENT

Should Diallo return

shutzhund

All-American
Nov 19, 2005
then what position will he play. He's a phenomenal athlete who doesn't, at least to this point, have a shot from outside versus a Knox. Would he be a 1 versus Green and distribute the ball and run the offense?

I can see him as a defensive stopper and slasher at the 3 but we've already have some 3's who have outside scoring ability and are potentially great defenders.

I'm just a fan and don't know any more than most fans but, 100 to one, I'd rather have Bamba and his skills to fill out this team. If Diallo comes back, great. But, it takes more than a great athlete to be a great basketball player.

However, if anyone can make him into a great player Cal will. Any ideas?

2 or 3 for him as Cal is pushing no position ball anyway so it wouldn't seem to make much difference in Cal's way of thinking and that's what he is apparently selling to the kids as well. He will still be assigned defensive duties on their best man, whether it be a 2 or 3, and play either 2 or 3 normal play on offense. Got it all covered that way.

He's projected 1st round Portland 20 or mil 18 will draft him......why would he come back...even 20th pays more than 1.5 million..........hope he does come back, my money say he stays in.

I think only he'll really know that because only he really knows his situation :)

My guess also. Signing Knox and Cal wanting Knox to play guard that just about forces him to the front line. He's going to have to fight for playing time at any position but, despite athlete that he is, something will have to happen. Develop an outside shot?

Cracks me up that so many people know how someone will perform...or how they will be utilized...or what position they will play...or even how good the team will perform based on some high school high-light videos.

Me? I'll just have to wait until Cal puts them out there on the floor and I watch them on TV as actual collegiate players before I can gauge anything.

Now don't ya'll go getting your panties all in a wad. Just funnin'...sort of.

No. Not based upon the feedback he is getting.
Right now they are trying solidify some of the feedback and interest from later first round teams.

Cracks me up that so many people know how someone will perform...or how they will be utilized...or what position they will play...or even how good the team will perform based on some high school high-light videos.

Me? I'll just have to wait until Cal puts them out there on the floor and I watch them on TV as actual collegiate players before I can gauge anything.

Now don't ya'll go getting your panties all in a wad. Just funnin'...sort of.

We've got to talk about something between now and November.

We have worn this subject out. I would say a combine player who was working out for a team with more teams to go sounds just like that , he will go. Coach Cal has known a lot of people with good advise and I'm sure he has talked to most regarding Diallo by now. Who really knows?
The deadline is swiftly approaching to hire an agent or withdrawal. We should know soon! I would love to get Bamba to join BBN. He has said before the NBA draft he would announce. Very hard to figure out, not Many leaks to hear about. A game changer but I think we will be OK if he follows another Path! I think as it stands Cal will have a lot of talent on hand!

He's a 2-guard who could technically play the 1-3. I think if he returns it's

Green
Diallo
Knox
Vanderbilt
Bamba

I could also see Washington at the 4 with Vanderbilt 6th man.
I know the whole postionless bball stuff but Cal told Knox and family he would play him at the 2

He's projected 1st round Portland 20 or mil 18 will draft him......why would he come back...even 20th pays more than 1.5 million..........hope he does come back, my money say he stays in.
When you are like Diallo draft ranking wise staying in the draft is a HUGEEEEE gamble. He could go 20 or could EASILY slip into the second round. It happens every year in all sports.

I believe our SL would consist of Green, Knox or Bamba, Knox or Johnson, Vanderbilt, and Bamba.

That is based on either signing Johnson or keeping Diallo.

I'd GLADLY take either in a freaking heartbeat.

Let me break it down for you:

Green, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt/Washington, Bamba = 0-3 losses, possible championship

Green, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Bamba = 2-5 losses, likely Final Four

Green, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Richards/SKJ = 7-10 losses, probable Elite Eight

Any other combination likely results in 9-11 losses, and probably second round exit. Any other combo indicates at least one player wasn't what he was supposed to be, and we would struggle a bit.

if we have Diallo I believe we will see more dribble drive than any previous Calipari- coached Kentucky squad

Mock drafts are opinions not facts, if a player went by that then they are either as dumb as fans or their agent is dumb

Ok time to separate facts from fiction. Actually NBA scouts, GM's have his draft range from 25-34 so he's no lock first round. Those are based on no surprises or slippage from the players ahead of him. His workouts are more key than almost any other player. The biggest key is how he shoots and how he looks in the two on two portion of the workouts

If he come and works out for the jazz (very likely) I will be there

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Ok time to separate facts from fiction. Actually NBA scouts, GM's have his draft range from 25-34 so he's no lock first round. Those are based on no surprises or slippage from the players ahead of him. His workouts are more key than almost any other player. The biggest key is how he shoots and how he looks in the two on two portion of the workouts

Record it.

To maximize his chances at guaranteed future earnings, yes he should play for UK next year.
Unless, which I seriously doubt, a team picking inside of 20 (or 15) tells him they plan to pick him.

You live in SLC?

If he stays in the draft then we likely get Johnson, and I think he will be the better fit. Diallo will be better in five years but this year Johnson may be the better basketball player. Also Johnson will be here for two years.

Let me break it down for you:

Green, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt/Washington, Bamba = 0-3 losses, possible championship

Green, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Bamba = 2-5 losses, likely Final Four

Green, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Richards/SKJ = 7-10 losses, probable Elite Eight

Any other combination likely results in 9-11 losses, and probably second round exit. Any other combo indicates at least one player wasn't what he was supposed to be, and we would struggle a bit.

Not a bad break down. However (there's always a however) the Green, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Bamba gives enough outside scoring to beat the zones we always see. I'd rank them as better shots at a championship.

Either way, unless Richards explodes, Bamba seems to be the key.

No doubt Bamba is by far the key.
I personally would rather have Diallo than Johnson, but either and we are looking very good.

I like Diallo because I think he will defend and rebound better. Obviously just a hunch.

I'd be a little worried if we miss Bamba, but even if we missed on both Diallo and Cam, I'm still pretty confident splitting minutes between Knox, Green, and Shai.

ADVERTISEMENT