ADVERTISEMENT

Shocky Jacques-Louis

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Once again the staff identifies a skilled player before most others are willing to take the chance and then the player starts to blow-up, confirming this staffs' decisive ability to identify talent and make early offers. I hope that Williams has a good connection with his future WR and can show how this class looks like it might be the offensive equivalent to what Stoops did last year with the defense. The OLine, WR, QB, TE commits to date have this class looking really special. This might be the product of Gran and Hinshaw being here for more than an eye-wink.

Shocky is one of my favorite commits. He is super under rated right now. No way with his offer sheet (Michigan, UNC, Tennessee, UGA, Mich St, South Carolina, WVU, IU, UMD, Mizzou, UVA, etc.) he should only be a 5.5 3*. Thats a list of someone either a 5.7 or a 4*.

I think rivals does a great job evaluating overall but Shocky along with Kinnard & obviously Jarren Williams are super underrated right now. I expect to see all 3 get some bumps in the ratings over the next few months.

Shocky is one of my favorite commits. He is super under rated right now. No way with his offer sheet (Michigan, UNC, Tennessee, UGA, Mich St, South Carolina, WVU, IU, UMD, Mizzou, UVA, etc.) he should only be a 5.5 3*. Thats a list of someone either a 5.7 or a 4*.

I think rivals does a great job evaluating overall but Shocky along with Kinnard & obviously Jarren Williams are super underrated right now. I expect to see all 3 get some bumps in the ratings over the next few months.
The reason for him being underrated is because the recruiting sites got a hold to him very late. I've been pushing for Rivals, 247 and scout to rate him for two years, but they didn't rate him until he committed to Kentucky. Shocky has been very productive since his freshman year. Freshman year he was second in the state in kick return average with a 32 yard average per kick return and 5 tds at kick return. Sophomore season had 13 tds with 700+ yards receiving. Kentucky got lucky because his then football coach at Lehigh Senior High had a connection with then Kentucky coach, I believe his last name was Scott. Shocky went to the Kentucky camp that summer and killed the camp, that's how he got noticed through Kentucky. When the new coaching staff came in, Shocky was informed that his offer still stood. He has been special ever since his pop warner days, it's never been a secret in Sw Florida about Shocky.

The reason for him being underrated is because the recruiting sites got a hold to him very late. I've been pushing for Rivals, 247 and scout to rate him for two years, but they didn't rate him until he committed to Kentucky. Shocky has been very productive since his freshman year. Freshman year he was second in the state in kick return average with a 32 yard average per kick return and 5 tds at kick return. Sophomore season had 13 tds with 700+ yards receiving. Kentucky got lucky because his then football coach at Lehigh Senior High had a connection with then Kentucky coach, I believe his last name was Scott. Shocky went to the Kentucky camp that summer and killed the camp, that's how he got noticed through Kentucky. When the new coaching staff came in, Shocky was informed that his offer still stood. He has been special ever since his pop warner days, it's never been a secret in Sw Florida about Shocky.
Chad Scott (now at UNC, I believe) is the UK coach that used to recruit Florida. Are you a coach/relative of Shocky's? Sounds like he also had a great spring game. We are very glad he is a Wildcat! He will excel in the UK offense.

Welcome to the BBN! You are now part of the family! Really exciting to hear of Shocky's KR abilities - it's an area of need at UK. Personally, I'm also hoping that we can get Rocky to UK too.
That's the plan, but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of Shocky. Rocky is a hell of a football player in his own right.

...No way with his offer sheet (Michigan, UNC, Tennessee, UGA, Mich St, South Carolina, WVU, IU, UMD, Mizzou, UVA, etc.) he should only be a 5.5 3*. Thats a list of someone either a 5.7 or a 4*.

I agree. Rivals tries hard and probably does the "best" job of all the on-line services but it is still an enormous challenge. They have their camp series and I get the feeling their opinions are significantly influenced (maybe sometimes skewed???) by camp performance. Regardless, each year I look more and more at offers. The problem here, of course, is that an "offer" is a one sided source (i.e., the player's side) and, given today's recruiting environment, probably includes offers that have certain strings attached.

in the end, like most things football, I go with Phil Steele. He does no personal reviews whatsoever. He mathematically "averages out" the rankings from about 10 recruiting services. Thus his "prospect list" is far more expansive than any other service (the 2016 list had 10,000 players on it). He then compiles a list of the Top 500 or so prospects dividing them into 2 categories (Very Highly Touted and Highly Touted).

FWIW, the Cat's 2016 class was "ranked" #37 by Steele with 6 such Top 500 players (including 2 top 75 JUCOs). Rivals had the Cats class at #28. Scout had the 2016 UK class at #39 and 247 had them at #34. So if Steele is the reference, Scout and 247 were a bit better than Rivals with last years rankings.

Peace

Wow. That's amazing. I don't know why people are sleeping on him.

Basically his measurables aren't exactly that of a major college DE. He's playing out of position right now because he's the best player on his team and that's where they need him. He likely projects as an insider backer at the next level. Probably the WIll where Jones plays. He will probably grade out well once he gets into camp and the coaches can see how he performs in coverages etc. I have a strong hunch in the end he gets a UK offer but right now there is more homework to be done by the staff IMO.

Basically his measurables aren't exactly that of a major college DE. He's playing out of position right now because he's the best player on his team and that's where they need him. He likely projects as an insider backer at the next level. Probably the WIll where Jones plays. He will probably grade out well once he gets into camp and the coaches can see how he performs in coverages etc. I have a strong hunch in the end he gets a UK offer but right now there is more homework to be done by the staff IMO.

Sorry, but who is Rocky?

Shocky's twin brother. They want to play together in college.

Rocky and Shocky?

Nobody could stop us, first you rock them and then you shock them.

Of course they might be better at Thug U or Transfer U, they would rock em, shock em, and then sock em-------they cheat.

red-and-blue-rock-em-sock-em-robots-D2507N.jpg

ROCK Em, SHOCK Em.

Why this offer over others he has received?
It's a P5 offer, neither Rocky nor Shocky seems to have interest in NC that has offered both. Their 2 other common offers are Central Michigan and UCF. If Purdue were to offer Shocky then they will have a P5 offer from the same school. So, something to keep an eye on, nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: cstyle239
It's a P5 offer, neither Rocky nor Shocky seems to have interest in NC that has offered both. Their 2 other common offers are Central Michigan and UCF. If Purdue were to offer Shocky then they will have a P5 offer from the same school. So, something to keep an eye on, nothing more, nothing less.
Purdue just offered and there are a boat load of P5 offers coming behind this one for Rocky. Could see at least 4 more in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Rivals and Scout say he already has offers from Michigan, MSU, UL, UT, UGA, USCjr and others.

Last edited:
If he doesn't stick with us, he won't wind up in West Lafayette. There's a reason Purdue has struggled for several years now. West Lafayette is neck and neck with East Lansing for the title of "Biggest Burning Landfill of a Town in the B10."

Rivals and Scout say he already has offers from Michigan, MSU, UL, UT, UGA, USCjr and others.
Shocky does yes, but latest posts have been about his twin brother Rocky. He only got offers from UNC, UCF, CM and now Purdue. The twins wants to go to school together that's why a new offer to Rocky is something to keep an eye on (meaning if they offer Shocky too, that may be a factor on if he sticks with UK or not)

Shocky does yes, but latest posts have been about his twin brother Rocky. He only got offers from UNC, UCF, CM and now Purdue. The twins wants to go to school together that's why a new offer to Rocky is something to keep an eye on (meaning if they offer Shocky too, that may be a factor on if he sticks with UK or not)

Ah. Thanks for the distinction.

What are the chances theCats offer Rocky?

My guess is that the staff projects him to lber and the fact we are in on the best group of lbers i can remember is what is delaying an offer. Should we miss on a couple lber prospects then i could see an offer soon after.

Also, a summer camp visit could solve a lot question marks. Size wise he could play MLB or olber. I think camp setting at UK would answer a lot of questions.

I agree. Rivals tries hard and probably does the "best" job of all the on-line services but it is still an enormous challenge. They have their camp series and I get the feeling their opinions are significantly influenced (maybe sometimes skewed???) by camp performance. Regardless, each year I look more and more at offers. The problem here, of course, is that an "offer" is a one sided source (i.e., the player's side) and, given today's recruiting environment, probably includes offers that have certain strings attached.

in the end, like most things football, I go with Phil Steele. He does no personal reviews whatsoever. He mathematically "averages out" the rankings from about 10 recruiting services. Thus his "prospect list" is far more expansive than any other service (the 2016 list had 10,000 players on it). He then compiles a list of the Top 500 or so prospects dividing them into 2 categories (Very Highly Touted and Highly Touted).

FWIW, the Cat's 2016 class was "ranked" #37 by Steele with 6 such Top 500 players (including 2 top 75 JUCOs). Rivals had the Cats class at #28. Scout had the 2016 UK class at #39 and 247 had them at #34. So if Steele is the reference, Scout and 247 were a bit better than Rivals with last years rankings.

Peace

So, according to your analysis 247 is better than Rivals and they have his as a four star?

Great, we need more four stars, even if they started out as a 5.5.

And hmt, is Rocky supposed to camp here this summer, or is that known yet?

If he doesn't stick with us, he won't wind up in West Lafayette. There's a reason Purdue has struggled for several years now. West Lafayette is neck and neck with East Lansing for the title of "Biggest Burning Landfill of a Town in the B10."

LMAO. You obviously haven't been to East Lansing, or you are confusing it with the state capitol Lansing. MSU was the first land grant college and it shows with its absolutely gorgeous sprawling campus. Very "woodsy". The rest of the town is bars, little shops and people who work or go to school at MSU.

OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois all have shittier towns/campuses. And as much as I love UK, it doesn't have sh!t on MSU as far as the campus goes although Lexington is definitely cooler. I came very close to choosing UK, but decided on MSU for in state tuition and academics.
landscape-1.jpg

M
LMAO. You obviously haven't been to East Lansing, or you are confusing it with the state capitol Lansing. MSU was the first land grant college and it shows with its absolutely gorgeous sprawling campus. Very "woodsy". The rest of the town is bars, little shops and people who work or go to school at MSU.

OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois all have shittier towns/campuses. And as much as I love UK, it doesn't have sh!t on MSU as far as the campus goes although Lexington is definitely cooler. I came very close to choosing UK, but decided on MSU for in state tuition and academics.
landscape-1.jpg

Only been to Michigan twice, very pretty in the summer, imagine it would be cold in the winter. And UK doesn't do badly in academics, the only STATE University, and at least you don't have a lot of dropouts and transfers with a ridiculous APR devaluing your diploma like some win at all costs city colleges.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT