ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenberg Re CJ Frederick

If he is 100% healthy, he needs to start.

A lot of people forget he has 52 starts in 52 games for a high level basketball program under his belt.

Think about this: Fredrick has yet to play a game he didn’t start.

I know, he’s a reserve on this team because of this reason or that reason, but the kid can ball.

The biggest question is this: will he be healthy? And if that is a yes, then the question becomes can he stay healthy?

If he is 100% healthy, he needs to start.

A lot of people forget he has 52 starts in 52 games for a high level basketball program under his belt.

Think about this: Fredrick has yet to play a game he didn’t start.

I know, he’s a reserve on this team because of this reason or that reason, but the kid can ball.

The biggest question is this: will he be healthy? And if that is a yes, then the question becomes can he stay healthy?
You are spot on if healthy, big if, he will be a huge asset. Kid can play

That's my fear.. there's a very real possibility CJ is just that type of injury prone player. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it the whole season. Let's hope. Because his shooting makes him one of our most important pieces... dare I say #3 behind Oscar and Wheeler?
If cal workhorses him he will be done before mid season

There is NO way Livingston comes off the bench. Cal promises these high profile guys a lot of Floor time. It will be CJ off the bench or both of them starting, but Livingston will start the year as a starter imo. If he does not do well then you could see a change, but he and his Parents have been promised time on the floor in the recruiting process.
Like Brooks and Toppin sat behind five star Collins this season?

Reactions: JonathanW
I’d like to see CJ start beside Wallace and Reeves. Come to think of it, I’d love to add another wing.

On top of that, give me Collins at the 4 with a newly developed 3 point stroke. Around 40% would be nice. As long as we’re making a wish list.

Last but not least, let’s give Oscar a 38% three point stroke as well.

P.S. - Sharpe comes back.

Sweet 16 here we come. Back in business.

Well actually I meant more along the lines if he can get mins at Iowa in the B10 then surely he could get some mins here at UK as well. I can’t actually say I know much about what CJs “D” looks like and so I’m not really educated to say what the hell he can or can’t do or will or won’t do but I do know he can shoot 47% in back to back seasons from 3 pt. range and had some big games at Iowa. My point was if he was playing at Iowa then surely he can do it here and that wasn’t just referring to one part of his game. I hope he shoots it well enough or gets his chances at least to come up big for us in some big games if he not just terrible and giving up god awful amounts of points to whoever he’s guarding.

Hey though you laughing at a guy who started in 27 games for a B10 team that finished 8th in the country and 3rd in the B10 his Soph. yr. and as luck would have it ol CJ played on a team who drew a 2 seed himself that beat a 15 seed which none of the current UK players have done so I probably wouldn’t be laughing at ol Fran too hard yet. I probably wouldn’t laugh at anyone anyways if I was comparing somebody from Henry Clay HS going to play for the 96 Bulls to how it is to play for Iowa versus UK.
You just made a terrible post worse.

I thought you meant "if he could play good D at Iowa, he could do it here", but nope, you made an even dumber point.

So now you put Iowa on the same level as UK… .basketball. "If he can get minutes at Iowa, he can get them here". WHAT?

And you think because Iowa plays in the BIG10, that that matters??? The BIG10 is good when they play each other. They stink in the NCAAT after getting the most teams in every year. Last title was 22 years ago.

Do better.

Only way that happens is if he can’t defend. No defense, no time. That’s how it should be. I hope he learns to be a killer defender.
Really ?? Who's the last really good defensive player we had. You hear this a lot with/about playing for ccc, but the freshman come in and can't/won't play a lick of D, but yet plenty of pt AND rope because of their cnba projection.

All true. But, unfortunately, the injury “if” is a big one with CJ. He just seems to have one of those injury prone bodies that break easily.
Yes. And Cal seems to have this knack for getting the most injuries out of his players…

Really ?? Who's the last really good defensive player we had. You hear this a lot with/about playing for ccc, but the freshman come in and can't/won't play a lick of D, but yet plenty of pt AND rope because of their cnba projection.
Oscar was a fair defender and we had several on the team before tge injuries started. What you hear about freshman isn’t Calipari’s fault but he does well teaching them.

Best lineup if Fredrick is healthy, IMHO:

G Wallace
G Fredrick
G Reeves
F Livingston
F Tshiebwe

I realize this is an offensive minded lineup. I’m sorry, but I am kind of tired of watching guys struggle to get it in the basket. Stretch the defense by having three good shooters, maybe four if Livingston can shoot.

Upgrade the 3 or 4 spot with Scheierman and it would work even better. Who cares if the other team scores over 60, if you’re scoring in the 80’s every game.

There is NO way Livingston comes off the bench. Cal promises these high profile guys a lot of Floor time. It will be CJ off the bench or both of them starting, but Livingston will start the year as a starter imo. If he does not do well then you could see a change, but he and his Parents have been promised time on the floor in the recruiting process.
My nephew coaches Chris and I know a little about his recuitment. Time on the floor is different from a starting spot. He very well may earn that in his pre-season work and for sure I'm rooting for him. Just think CJ will come in more polished offensivley and Cal will be leaning toward offensive help to start. Chris will need a little more polish at the college level offensivley but will get there no doubt and then be a beast, but at the very beginning which is what we are talking about I think the veteran will get the nod from Cal to start. And thats better for Chris because it takes some pressure off of him and allows him to fill the role of energy guy off the bench.

like he didn’t play Whitney?
The less than 13 mpg and handful of starts ? If promised playing time he would have never been benched. Am I missing something in your response ? Are you agreeing or being sarcastic ?

He started 5 games. So Cal was suppose to give up and bench him what, 1st game, 2nd game ? Overreact much ?Cal did not play him too many minutes you are reaching for anything to shed a negative light on the coach you despise, we get it.

like he didn’t play Whitney?
I dont think he promises them x amount of shots, but they do talk playing time. MOST of these recruits want to know where they fit in. ive never been on a recruiting visit with Cal of course so I dont know anything for sure-

My nephew coaches Chris and I know a little about his recuitment. Time on the floor is different from a starting spot. He very well may earn that in his pre-season work and for sure I'm rooting for him. Just think CJ will come in more polished offensivley and Cal will be leaning toward offensive help to start. Chris will need a little more polish at the college level offensivley but will get there no doubt and then be a beast, but at the very beginning which is what we are talking about I think the veteran will get the nod from Cal to start. And thats better for Chris because it takes some pressure off of him and allows him to fill the role of energy guy off the bench.
Your nephew is Steve Smith? hes a very good guy.

ADVERTISEMENT