ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenberg Re CJ Frederick

That's my fear.. there's a very real possibility CJ is just that type of injury prone player. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it the whole season. Let's hope. Because his shooting makes him one of our most important pieces... dare I say #3 behind Oscar and Wheeler?

All true. But, unfortunately, the injury “if” is a big one with CJ. He just seems to have one of those injury prone bodies that break easily.

Reactions: BlueSince92
That's my fear.. there's a very real possibility CJ is just that type of injury prone player. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it the whole season. Let's hope. Because his shooting makes him one of our most important pieces... dare I say #3 behind Oscar and Wheeler?

All true. But, unfortunately, the injury “if” is a big one with CJ. He just seems to have one of those injury prone bodies that break easily.
People keep saying he is injury prone, but isn't all his issues essentially coming from a single injury he just never took the time to let it heal properly or fully.

I wish Cal would give CJ the nod but I just don’t see it happening what so ever. He will get some minutes but I see CJ being one of those guys Cal will teeter totter him back and forth playing him 30 mins some nights and then barely get off the bench on other nights then tell Tom Leach after a big loss how he could’ve put CJ in sooner but damn just didn’t get around to it earlier and how he took him out because he wouldn’t shoot it. I hope I’m wrong though. I have been wrong before. So hope this kid does well.

He’s a much better defender than what he will get credit for.

This remains to be seen unfortunately.

I agree that he WAS certainly a better defender, but leg injuries like he has had, those tend to sometimes really effect agility and side to side movement, so we'll see how much his defense is (hopefully) still the same!

I wish Cal would give CJ the nod but I just don’t see it happening what so ever. He will get some minutes but I see CJ being one of those guys Cal will teeter totter him back and forth playing him 30 mins some nights and then barely get off the bench on other nights then tell Tom Leach after a big loss how he could’ve put CJ in sooner but damn just didn’t get around to it earlier and how he took him out because he wouldn’t shoot it. I hope I’m wrong though. I have been wrong before. So hope this kid does well.
Only way that happens is if he can’t defend. No defense, no time. That’s how it should be. I hope he learns to be a killer defender.

Reactions: UK19
He started for top 10 ranked teams at Iowa, so yeah, I absolutely could see him starting.
Which NBA bound 5* is Cal going to sit? Wallace or Livingston? CJ is/ will be a better scorer than either one of them, you know, the thing that helps win games, but since he isn’t on any NBA radars, he won’t be starting.

That’s also why Cal won’t land Baylor S. He can’t take the spotlight away from his draft picks. That’s one of the reasons Self has taken the ATW’s lead away from UK, he plays the players that help win ballgames.

People keep saying he is injury prone, but isn't all his issues essentially coming from a single injury he just never took the time to let it heal properly or fully.
No. He missed this season because of a hamstring injury, whereas his problems at Iowa were due to leg and foot bone issues. Entirely different injuries.

Reactions: YouKay
Same. Hasn't he basically been hurt every year in college?

Which NBA bound 5* is Cal going to sit? Wallace or Livingston? CJ is/ will be a better scorer than either one of them, you know, the thing that helps win games, but since he isn’t on any NBA radars, he won’t be starting.

That’s also why Cal won’t land Baylor S. He can’t take the spotlight away from his draft picks. That’s one of the reasons Self has taken the ATW’s lead away from UK, he plays the players that help win ballgames.
Agree.

My fear too. Fingers and toes crossed he stays healthy,

he better be good at getting open on his own, because Cal`s half court offense does not do a good job of getting shooters open. He also wont run anything but a man to man, so the kid better be able to guard the SEC speed at guard or he will be setting. You can hide someone that is a step slow in a zone but you cannot in a man to man with little to no weak side help. This is not to say that he is slow I dont know at this point? I am just saying Cal`s half court offense is not great at getting guys open looks.

If no one else is added I’d be perfectly fine starting CJ. He’s a much better defender than what he will get credit for. Cal will start Livingston but personally I’d prefer CJ to help open the floor up for Oscar
I disagree. As you know I'm a big Livingston guy but CJ will start. He's way ahead of Chris as far as immediate impact on the floor. CJ Frederick was already an impactful player in the Big 10 before leaving and Cal need both is scoring and experience on the floor as many minutes as possible. He's one of our best 3 players next year.

Look for Cal to use Livingston in the Toppin role as an energy, hustler, banger athetic guy off the bench. Then as Chris's offense progresses he'll get more more and more minutes.

I disagree. As you know I'm a big Livingston guy but CJ will start. He's way ahead of Chris as far as immediate impact on the floor. CJ Frederick was already an impactful player in the Big 10 before leaving and Cal need both is scoring and experience on the floor as many minutes as possible.

Look for Cal to use Livingston in the Toppin role as an energy, hustler, banger athetic guy off the bench.

There is NO way Livingston comes off the bench. Cal promises these high profile guys a lot of Floor time. It will be CJ off the bench or both of them starting, but Livingston will start the year as a starter imo. If he does not do well then you could see a change, but he and his Parents have been promised time on the floor in the recruiting process.

I disagree. As you know I'm a big Livingston guy but CJ will start. He's way ahead of Chris as far as immediate impact on the floor. CJ Frederick was already an impactful player in the Big 10 before leaving and Cal need both is scoring and experience on the floor as many minutes as possible. He's one of our best 3 players next year.

Look for Cal to use Livingston in the Toppin role as an energy, hustler, banger athetic guy off the bench. Then as Chris's offense progresses he'll get more more and more minutes.
CJ averaged just 7 points his last season at Iowa.I don't know why some act like he's a big scorer.

Only way that happens is if he can’t defend. No defense, no time. That’s how it should be. I hope he learns to be a killer defender.
Well if he done it at Iowa then surely he can do it at UK. Defense is an important part of the game, but a man who shoots at damn near 50% from 3 point land in back to back seasons in the B10 should still be able to score more points than he gives up if he is given a true opportunity. I understand if he just goes out there and consistently lets his guy score 10 consecutive points or something but sometimes common sense is a great thing to have if you’re a coach and knowing and not forgetting that the object to the games is trying to put the ball in the basket more than the opponent and if a team can do that it will win games just the same.

If CJ can get enough clock I think he can do that and he has great assist to turnover ratio at Iowa which looks like he was pretty careful with the ball and not always making dumb mistakes so hopefully that’ll count for something. If he gets beat off the dribble once In awhile I just hope that won’t be the end of his night and a death sentence for him like it has been for certain guys because every player gets scored on.

Think more need to approach CJ as a new player to the roster ... like adding Reeves and/or the HS recruits. Didn't play a minute last year, obviously. So when we think about the "incoming players" I lump Frederick into that discussion. So the new group as of now = Reeves/Frederick/Wallace/Livingston. Pretty solid, just need another 2 pieces from the portal, IMO.

There is NO way Livingston comes off the bench. Cal promises these high profile guys a lot of Floor time. It will be CJ off the bench or both of them starting, but Livingston will start the year as a starter imo. If he does not do well then you could see a change, but he and his Parents have been promised time on the floor in the recruiting process.

BS. It is very known cal doesn't do the promised playing time.

Also wings got plenty open looks last year. There just wasn't a ton of open makes. We had plenty of shooters but not a lot of makers. Grady was great until his puppies played out on him. Mintz lost his shot from last year, the kid couldn't buy a bucket last half of the season. We had a very good offense last year until Injuries slowed them down. Check the stats and then check about the time it all came crashing down.

CJ averaged just 7 points his last season at Iowa.I don't know why some act like he's a big scorer.
He was the 4th option, and played hurt most of the season.

1st option was Luka Garza, consensus NPOY and now with the Detroit Pistons
2nd option was Joe Wieskamp, 2x All Big-Ten and now with the San Antonio Spurs
3rd option was Jordan Bohannon, All Big-Ten, holder of Big-Ten record for career made 3-pointers (and winner of the 3pt contest at Final Four)

CJ's r/s freshman year Bohannon missed enough games to get a medical r/s, and CJ averaged over 10ppg.

Last edited:
Well if he done it at Iowa then surely he can do it at UK. Defense is an important part of the game, but a man who shoots at damn near 50% from 3 point land in back to back seasons in the B10 should still be able to score more points than he gives up if he is given a true opportunity. I understand if he just goes out there and consistently lets his guy score 10 consecutive points or something but sometimes common sense is a great thing to have if you’re a coach and knowing and not forgetting that the object to the games is trying to put the ball in the basket more than the opponent and if a team can do that it will win games just the same.

If CJ can get enough clock I think he can do that and he has great assist to turnover ratio at Iowa which looks like he was pretty careful with the ball and not always making dumb mistakes so hopefully that’ll count for something. If he gets beat off the dribble once In awhile I just hope that won’t be the end of his night and a death sentence for him like it has been for certain guys because every player gets scored on.
LOL, if he defended well at Iowa, he can do it here???

Iowa, under Fran mccaffrey, is terrible defensively and is the reason why they get ousted early every year.

I laugh when I read comments from Iowa fans talking about how good a defender CJ was, well how the hell do they know what a good defender is?

There is no such thing as "if he can defend at Iowa, he can do it here". That’s like saying "if he can play ball for Henry Clay HS, he could have started for the '96 Chicago Bulls".

Nobody knows for sure what minutes CJ is going to get and here's why:

#1) Cal plays favorites. NBA potential gets the nod, until they prove they can't play (Whitney). BJB is the exception to the rule, but see #2 for further details

#2) Cal mind fvcks certain players every year. Never his draft pick guys, it's the guys like Allen, Juzang, Baker, Hopkins and even Toppin. Certain players get put into Cal's doghouse and once you're in there, you're done, just go home.
And if the fans get upset, he will use that player as the rope in his tug-of-war with said fans.

#3) Cal pre determines his starting 5. Oh he'll say he doesn't promise playing time, which is true, he doesn't promise the player, he promises himself who is starting and who's not going in the game at all.

#4) if a future draft pick is struggling, Cal will give that guy 30mpg to try to play through it. He'll even allow it to cost the team wins (BJB) to get that one guy going. But if that player is clicking, Cal will also play him 30mpg until he gets injured. Unfortunately for CJ, he's going to be competing against one of them for PT.

Anyone that states, as a fact, that CJ will, or CJ won't play, hasn't been paying attention. I just hope, for CJ's sake, that he avoids the doghouse.

LOL, if he defended well at Iowa, he can do it here???

Iowa, under Fran mccaffrey, is terrible defensively and is the reason why they get ousted early every year.

I laugh when I read comments from Iowa fans talking about how good a defender CJ was, well how the hell do they know what a good defender is?

There is no such thing as "if he can defend at Iowa, he can do it here". That’s like saying "if he can play ball for Henry Clay HS, he could have started for the '96 Chicago Bulls".
Well actually I meant more along the lines if he can get mins at Iowa in the B10 then surely he could get some mins here at UK as well. I can’t actually say I know much about what CJs “D” looks like and so I’m not really educated to say what the hell he can or can’t do or will or won’t do but I do know he can shoot 47% in back to back seasons from 3 pt. range and had some big games at Iowa. My point was if he was playing at Iowa then surely he can do it here and that wasn’t just referring to one part of his game. I hope he shoots it well enough or gets his chances at least to come up big for us in some big games if he not just terrible and giving up god awful amounts of points to whoever he’s guarding.

Hey though you laughing at a guy who started in 27 games for a B10 team that finished 8th in the country and 3rd in the B10 his Soph. yr. and as luck would have it ol CJ played on a team who drew a 2 seed himself that beat a 15 seed which none of the current UK players have done so I probably wouldn’t be laughing at ol Fran too hard yet. I probably wouldn’t laugh at anyone anyways if I was comparing somebody from Henry Clay HS going to play for the 96 Bulls to how it is to play for Iowa versus UK.

Nobody knows for sure what minutes CJ is going to get and here's why:

#1) Cal plays favorites. NBA potential gets the nod, until they prove they can't play (Whitney). BJB is the exception to the rule, but see #2 for further details

#2) Cal mind fvcks certain players every year. Never his draft pick guys, it's the guys like Allen, Juzang, Baker, Hopkins and even Toppin. Certain players get put into Cal's doghouse and once you're in there, you're done, just go home.
And if the fans get upset, he will use that player as the rope in his tug-of-war with said fans.

#3) Cal pre determines his starting 5. Oh he'll say he doesn't promise playing time, which is true, he doesn't promise the player, he promises himself who is starting and who's not going in the game at all.

#4) if a future draft pick is struggling, Cal will give that guy 30mpg to try to play through it. He'll even allow it to cost the team wins (BJB) to get that one guy going. But if that player is clicking, Cal will also play him 30mpg until he gets injured. Unfortunately for CJ, he's going to be competing against one of them for PT.

Anyone that states, as a fact, that CJ will, or CJ won't play, hasn't been paying attention. I just hope, for CJ's sake, that he avoids the doghouse.
This is everything I was trying to say about hoping CJ would get his chance here! This is actually the same way I see Cal. I was saying to Bass (a Cal backer no matter what) that if he could get that many mins at Iowa then surely he could do it here at UK. Even if his D is lacking if a man can shoot it well enough and can score more points than he gives up then it comes down to common sense but sometimes with Cal it comes down to excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT