ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question how many more games would we have won with an elite PG?

Aug 7, 2004
I bet we wouldn’t have lost half the games we lost. We don’t have someone to run the show or a PG to get to the rim. That is our biggest issue.

Reactions: WolfTix
A few, but that’s far from the only problem with this team. Far too few shooters, a very weak senior center that wants to be a wing, a really good interior player that can’t stay out of foul trouble, WAY too many turnovers by just about everyone, no bulk for physical games, low basketball I.Q. across the board, very poor coaching this year, etc. The team is broken beyond repair this year.

I bet we wouldn’t have lost half the games we lost. We don’t have someone to run the show or a PG to get to the rim. That is our biggest issue.
To be honest with this schedule this teams should be above 500, the overall talent is not world beater but if they had been coached right there is no reason for this team not to be above 500

Bubble team.

mrbubble.jpg

Definitely would’ve won more games but to be fair there’s only 3 players that give us any kind of heart. That’s Mintz, Toppin, and Jackson
I agree 100% about those three. It’s a shame that two of them are transfers. By that I mean you’d think our other highly ranked recruits would provide it, but well, you know.......got to get to the draft.

We don't necessarily need a PG. We need competent guards. Quickley, for example, would be worth like 6-7 additional wins this season.

Reactions: tomjack00
How did Cal get it so wrong with Askew?

By believing he could get Cade Cunningham to not play for a team that bought him by getting his brother. Also by listening to Joel Justus who fell in love with Askew's game at NBA Players Camp along with listening to 2 guys who aren't at UK saying they wanted to play with him--Jalen Green and Josh Christopher.

One thing to make a horrible evaluation and recruiting mistake. Another to compound it by trying to prove you are right. This Askew guy is way in over his head. Add him to a litany of Mater Dei Basketball busts when they go to power programs. I'm still waiting for Schea Cotton and Taylor King to dominate CBB as I was told back in my youth.

Askew is definitely a multi year player that shouldn’t be asked to do more than supply a few rotational min this year, but you ask a great question.

I’ve watched some others (mainly just looked at box scores and read game highlights) but last year’s guard class was very weak. Cunningham was the HUGE miss, but I’m not a fan of hiring family members to get players.

College ball (and NBA) requires a guard that can break people down off the dribble and be able to finish at the rim.

Askew is not athletic and will probably be in his 3-4th year before he finishes well around the goal. These types of players are invaluable their Sr year. We usually complain because we don’t have one. I hope Askew sticks around, but Cal needs to find a couple athletic guards for next year.

I wish Cal would move Mintz to pg and move Brooks into lineup, then use Mintz and Allen together against zones. But ... this season is toast.

Bottom line for me is ... outside of Cunningham, I think last year's incoming point guards were unusually weak.

Is it the PG or the system or both. Does Tom Brady win the Super Bowl running the triple option?

What system would Askew play well in? When you can't bring the ball up against tight pressure. When you can't get by your defender. Can't run a play called out of a timeout? Go rogue and double the wing when your teammate had him face up and leave your man wide open for game changing shot?

Tom Brady in the triple option could still take a snap. This guy is rancid. He's the worst player I've seen in the Calipari era. I'd rather have Thigh Tat Brad over this guy.

Reactions: john19 and eppsfan
I am fairly certain that Hagans would have made this team top-five quality and a legit contender for a championship. Montgomery's return would have solidified that notion even further. Somewhere, somehow, there was a breakdown and differences with their desires and what was best for their future: to be patient and stay at Kentucky. Did Cal cause this to happen? Were they impatient or selfish? Who knows, but the fact remains that their continuing on this team would have made this year much more successful.

Reactions: sk73
depends... if its an elite pg that also shoots well then that is enough to make this team a contender, if its only a Wall, super elite but cant shoot, it only fixes one problem and not the problem of shooting. A Brandon Knight or Ulis would of been a fix to this season... giving us a leader, a shooter and scorer and someone that will dramatically cut down the turnovers and increase assists.

Probably 3-4 more. There are other issues outside of PG. A better question is who recruited, coached and started the PGs we currently have?

Point guard is very important in Cal's system but we don't have any knockdown shooters either, that's why the whole thing went to hell. Mintz is the only one we can truly count on to hit some threes, between that and a freshman point guard that doesn't shoot the ball particularly well this is what you get, inconsistent scoring and low scoring games we lose. I really think Cal thought he would have Quickly or Hagan's back, one was ready and the other was not but left anyway. A problem just as big as not having the right kind of point guard is why don't they want to stay more than one or two years when it's clear that they should. Askew would be better if Quickly were here along with Mintz, but other teams know we lack outside shooting and clog the middle.

A few, but that’s far from the only problem with this team. Far too few shooters, a very weak senior center that wants to be a wing, a really good interior player that can’t stay out of foul trouble, WAY too many turnovers by just about everyone, no bulk for physical games, low basketball I.Q. across the board, very poor coaching this year, etc. The team is broken beyond repair this year.
This is not a great 3 pt shooting team, but a good PG would make better shooters..We have no one to drive and kick to open shooters...Mintz, Allen, Askew, and Sarr can shoot.. we miss so many because we almost never shoot clean uncontested 3's

ADVERTISEMENT