ADVERTISEMENT

Seofblue writer says Diallo is gone

How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me. Look, we all get it; this was the assumed and accepted risk (him leaving). I've tried several times to justify this and not get worked up over it but it's bothersome.

Not sure I'll ever be able to properly and accurately articulate why this seems wrong to me, but it does. The notion that a kid was invited to UK to essentially use our players and facilities to improve himself without ever suiting up in a game for us is a bad look. No matter how you slice it.

We all seem to be trying to justify it and "trust in Cal" as he drags us into this new and interesting era of college basketball. We tell ourselves, "this is just the way things are these days". But the reality is this wasn't right. This isn't right. We can't constantly use this holier than thou "whatever is best for the kid" reasoning as a crutch for anytime UK is essentially used or abused.

I wonder why even be called "Kentucky"? Why not just change our team name to NBA Prep team.

Nope, I don't like this at all and I don't mind to voice that stance on here.

I'm with you. It's hard enough to rationalize the one-and-done scenarios with the notion that at least both parties get something of value out of the deal. But if Diallo leaves, UK got NOTHING out of that deal. A player just used UK's coaching, roster, facilities, and name to benefit himself without offering anything in return. I realize NBA money is nearly impossible to turn down, but as you said, that doesn't make it right.

I'm with you. It's hard enough to rationalize the one-and-done scenarios with the notion that at least both parties get something of value out of the deal. But if Diallo leaves, UK got NOTHING out of that deal. A player just used UK's coaching, roster, facilities, and name to benefit himself without offering anything in return. I realize NBA money is nearly impossible to turn down, but as you said, that doesn't make it right.

You don't know that UK got NOTHING outta this.

Maybe diallo practicing with the team made Monk and Fox better.

Even if diallo does bounce maybe this HELPS recruiting in the future where something like this happens again. Maybe that player stays.

The FANS got nothing as they didn't see him play. We don't know whether or not UK got a benefit from it

So that would be picks 1, 37, 16, 38, 17, 48, 22, 27, 57

I can't imagine him going 16/17 and he isn't leaving is he is 37, 38, 48 or 57.

So that only leaves the Nets at 22 and 27 as possible options (for teams he worked out for).

There could also be a trade.

I am just trying to wrap my head around why a grown man thinks a kid should give up millions of dollars for his entertainment.

I've seen very few say that he should. But if he was going to take this route all along and do whatever he could in order to stay in the draft many of us feel he should of played last year. Last year or next year he should have played for UK. Otherwise what's the freaking point of it all?

I've seen very few say that he should. But if he was going to take this route all along and do whatever he could in order to stay in the draft many of us feel he should of played last year. Last year or next year he should have played for UK. Otherwise what's the freaking point of it all?

He could have stayed at home and done the same thing. Instead if he stays in the draft , then he simply used Cal and the Kentucky name. I hope he stays in the draft. He has kept Kentucky, Cal and maybe even Cam Johnson from making a decision.

Nah, you just hated admitting you were wrong and couldn't count, it's okay!

Not likely.

You’re still taking a position based completely on speculation, and not allowing yourself to even be open to an alternative.

But whatever helps you sleep easy at night. Thump your chest and stripe your face with war paint if it helps. You can even reenact the last scene from Braveheart.

I wouldn’t put any of it past you, even with the limited sample size of how you post. Especially with the limited sample size of posts you’ve written, in fact.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
He could have stayed at home and done the same thing. Instead if he stays in the draft , then he simply used Cal and the Kentucky name. I hope he stays in the draft. He has kept Kentucky, Cal and maybe even Cam Johnson from making a decision.

I’d wait a year if it meant UK landed an elite kid like Davis.

A kid like Diallo, obviously a few notches below Davis, is worth at least two more days of waiting. If Johnson can’t wait another two days at this point, it would be beyond comical to blame it on Diallo.

To appear to be the most player's first, player friendly program/coach in America for the sake of future recruiting.

Hahaha, You must take the whole message board in way more serious way than most. I'm just getting a ride out of you, that's enough for me.

Of course my argument is mostly based on speculation, what's yours based on? I've at least used facts and considered the lack of a precedent in this type of case.l when coming to my conclusion. You keep posting false information that gets pointed out and then you just change to argument to fit your narrative, i.e. the length of time Diallo was actually here and practicing compared to the other players. I've noticed you quit arguing once the number of weeks were counted out for you.

So say Diallo jumps and has a great NBA career and talks about UK and how great they were to him, that doesn't help UK at all?

Hahaha, You must take the whole message board in way more serious way than most. I'm just getting a ride out of you, that's enough for me.

Of course my argument is mostly based on speculation, what's yours based on? I've at least used facts and considered the lack of a precedent in this type of case.l when coming to my conclusion. You keep posting false information that gets pointed out and then you just change to argument to fit your narrative, i.e. the length of time Diallo was actually here and practicing compared to the other players. I've noticed you quit arguing once the number of weeks were counted out for you.

I bet you talk to the computer after you write a post and press “post reply.” I’d bet top dollar on it, in fact. You talk of people taking this board seriously, but you spent the entire weekend writing a novel and arguing over trivialities like 9 weeks vs. 11 weeks. Hilarious.

The “weeks argument” is yours if you don’t think Cal could prepare a young man to contribute in a few months. There was almost 70 days between the time Diallo arrived and the time UK played UNC. Not quite the 11 weeks I mentioned, so if you want to ride that pony, have at it. You clearly think Cal needs those magical last two weeks to make it work...

Worked for Knox, Washington, Vanderbilt, Green, and Richards, among others.

UK was considered the underdog in the Knox/Vanderbilt/Green recruitments.
You really think the Diallo situation is why they came here?I don't think it had a thing to do with Diallo.

You really think the Diallo situation is why they came here?I don't think it had a thing to do with Diallo.

I don’t think it played much of a role at all in most of their recruitments and my quote was not directed that way. My original point was about how being seen as the most player friendly program in America is the overall sell. Diallo is one part of that, and someone asked why UK would take Diallo if he might not play. I answered that question in that it is part of the essence of Kentucky now – player’s first; NBA preparation; player’s coach; etc. Diallo’s situation only makes the sale’s job more effective for future recruiting classes.

UK once again sailing uncharted territories, and always with the player’s best interest at heart. I don’t say that with bitterness. They’re going for consistency all the way.

I bet you talk to the computer after you write a post and press “post reply.” I’d bet top dollar on it, in fact. You talk of people taking this board seriously, but you spent the entire weekend writing a novel and arguing over trivialities like 9 weeks vs. 11 weeks. Hilarious.

The “weeks argument” is yours if you don’t think Cal could prepare a young man to contribute in a few months. There was almost 70 days between the time Diallo arrived and the time UK played UNC. Not quite the 11 weeks I mentioned, so if you want to ride that pony, have at it. You clearly think Cal needs those magical last two weeks to make it work...
I'm not using a computer, so I wouldn't make that bet if I were you. I'm a tablet user. However, why would someone talk to their computer? You seem be leaving out all the post you made also and seem to think they were short and sweet or something. You seem to be rushing back to post with each comment like it matters to a degree.

Where did I argue 9 vs 11 weeks?

No, I think it would take several months to get him on the level of contribution we would have needed from him. As is eveident by Cal's track record. He has never gotten someone ready for NCAA games in 8 - 10 weeks. You bring up his ranking as proof he could be, yet, monk, fox and Bam were all ready higher if I'm not mistaken and still took from summer until February to begin playing high level d and team basketball. They were in a lot of close games they won on sheer talent. They wasn't going to happen against UNC in the elite 8. Again, when you can provide evidence of Cal ever getting a player ready for that level of play on that short of time I'll definitely consider it. Doubt you can though.

With all due respect, some of you guys just need to let it go. You've made your points, the other side isn't budging, just give us and yourself a break.

So let's assume Diallo returns. How does he fit in with the rest of the roster, and where are his minutes coming from?

With all due respect, some of you guys just need to let it go. You've made your points, the other side isn't budging, just give us and yourself a break.

So let's assume Diallo returns. How does he fit in with the rest of the roster, and where are his minutes coming from?
Probably starts at the two. Should be a great slasher and finisher. Could become a pretty solid lock-down defender

It could just be them gathering background information, but typically speaking an AAU coach getting involved this late in the process is not an encouraging sign for a return.

Meh. Probably just in case he stays, and falls into the second round. The ones who might take him in the first have already talked to him.

He would fit in with the rest of the roster as the starting 2 guard. His minutes would come from being the starting 2 guard.

I'm not using a computer, so I wouldn't make that bet if I were you. I'm a tablet user. However, why would someone talk to their computer? You seem be leaving out all the post you made also and seem to think they were short and sweet or something. You seem to be rushing back to post with each comment like it matters to a degree.

Where did I argue 9 vs 11 weeks?

No, I think it would take several months to get him on the level of contribution we would have needed from him. As is eveident by Cal's track record. He has never gotten someone ready for NCAA games in 8 - 10 weeks. You bring up his ranking as proof he could be, yet, monk, fox and Bam were all ready higher if I'm not mistaken and still took from summer until February to begin playing high level d and team basketball. They were in a lot of close games they won on sheer talent. They wasn't going to happen against UNC in the elite 8. Again, when you can provide evidence of Cal ever getting a player ready for that level of play on that short of time I'll definitely consider it. Doubt you can though.

What level of play? I’ve only contended it’s possible he contributed on a smaller level within that time frame. You make it seem like I’ve argued that he’d be starting and playing 30 minutes/game.

I still think Diallo comes back. If he doesn’t, UK likely lands Johnson. I’m good either way and at the very least, UK gets another draft pick out of it (I don’t write that begrudgingly).

What level of play? I’ve only contended it’s possible he contributed on a smaller level within that time frame. You make it seem like I’ve argued that he’d be starting and playing 30 minutes/game.

I still think Diallo comes back. If he doesn’t, UK likely lands Johnson. I’m good either way and at the very least, UK gets another draft pick out of it (I don’t write that begrudgingly).

So it is all about draft picks for you? If we go 15-15 next year and still have 6 guys drafted, you are happy? Interesting.

Agreed, I stopped caring some time ago. I just wish the NBA would change the rule and take them right out of high school.

For people who are not enjoying this process, straight out of the NBA is not what you would want, as we would be going through this every year. For a guy like Cal, he isn't going to stop recruiting the best, and that means that there will be a few players every year that declare for the draft and then have a decision to make at the deadline.

So it is all about draft picks for you? If we go 15-15 next year and still have 6 guys drafted, you are happy? Interesting.

I've never understood this logic, because if we go 15-15, I can assure you we will not have 6 players drafted. And history shows that if we have 6 players drafted, we likely only lost a couple of games and ended up around an elite eight or final four.

Here is the thing, people can whine about the NBA draft all they want, but the last 8 years tells us that our season success and number of lottery picks, and even draft picks go hand in hand. In fact, there is an almost exact science to it, so much so that every Cat fan should actually hope that we get 6 players drafted with 3-4 in the lottery every year. I've posted it before, but here is the relationship between lottery players and season losses:

4 Lottos = 0-1 losses
3 Lottos = 2-3 losses
2 Lottos = 4-7 losses
1 Lottos = 8-11 losses
0 Lottos = NIT

Every team Cal has had at UK falls into this relationship. So everybody should want Diallo over Johnson, as Diallo is more likely to end up in the lottery next year. On the team right now is Knox and Vanderbilt who if they are consistent enough could be lottery. Richards and Washington would need to be surprises and really improve to reach lottery status. The problem is that it will be hard for 3-4 of the current guys to reach that. I do not think that both Washington and Vanderbilt can get there, and Richards is a crap shoot, as even though he has the measurables to get there, his skill level needs to improve big time. Diallo lessens the load for those guys a bit in terms of lottery picks, as he would be up there with Knox as most likely.

ADVERTISEMENT