ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Finals JHannibalSmith vs. 420Grover

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to the 2021 NBA All-Time NBA Draft. The objective of the draft was to draft a team that will beat your opponent in a best of 7 games.

Semi-Finals will last for two days. Voters please vote for the team you believe would win. You will be able to change your vote if the discussion sways you the other way.

@JHannibalSmith - Larry Bird, David Robinson, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Chris Mullin, Gary Payton, Pete Maravich, Pau Gasol, Willis Reed, Jimmy Butler, Mark Price, HC Don Nelson

vs.

@420grover- Shaquille O'Neal, Julius Erving, Dwyane Wade, Kevin McHale, Luka Dončić , Glen Rice, Peja Stojakovic , Tim Hardaway, Arvydas Sabonis, Jamal Mashburn, HC Larry Bird

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
STARTERS

PG Gary Payton 6-4
SG Chris Mullin 6-6
SF Giannis Antetokounmpo 6-11
PF Larry Bird 6-9
C David Robinson 7-1

BENCH

PG Mark Price 6-0
SG Pete Maravich 6-5
SF Jimmy Butler 6-7
PF Willis Reed 6-9
C Pau Gasol 7-0

DEPTH CHART

PG Payton, Price, Giannis, Maravich
SG Mullin, Maravich, Butler, Giannis
SF Giannis, Bird, Butler, Mullin, Maravich
PF Bird, Reed, Giannis, Gasol
C Robinson, Gasol, Reed, Bird (small ball)

It is pretty funny that we both will be relying on the same guy to be a huge part of winning this. But, I love that I have Bird, the player, leading my team. I almost took him as coach too but thought it might be weird, lol. I hated him growing up bc I’m a Hawks fan & we couldn’t beat him. Few could.

He’s been called the perfect basketball player by several ppl who are qualified to make the claim. Not many could combine that level of skill with a nonstop motor & relentless will to win & an unparalleled understanding of the game. He knew where EVERYBODY was at all times. He was the first member of the 50/40/90 club & did it in back to back seasons. Only Magic & LeBron match his passing acumen among taller players.

And, his passing & good habits were contagious. You won’t see better ball movement than the 80s Celtics. He’s the best ever in clutch situations IMO & he is the guy I’d want taking the last shot if I could pick any player throughout history. If not for injuries it’s hard telling how much more he could’ve done. He’d average 35+ in today’s game IMO & likely a triple-double, or close to it. And, he’s the ultimate team leader. He is always my best case/reason for a win.

But, with so much scoring ability elsewhere, teams won’t be able to double team Bird or anyone else. It’ll leave Payton & Giannis in 1 on 1 situations to take it to the basket as well. Or they can kick it out to Bird or Mullin, two of the best shooters in league history. Giannis is also a matchup nightmare for most. But, I think this team’s biggest strengths would be cohesion & versatility. I think they would mesh extremely well together since they’re all willing passers & smart players. Several guys play multiple positions & I can go at least 4 deep at every spot, allowing me to match up with any style or lineup.

The ball movement would be next level too. Everyone is very good-elite passers. Same with perimeter shooting; I have 4 of the best shooters of all time in Bird, Price, Maravich & Mullin. They’d also be a very cerebral team with so many basketball smart guys. A few even went on to coach. No shortage of defense either with 3 DPOYs & several all-defense seasons. It’s almost my ideal, complete team as far as what I’d personally want in a roster.

I have scoring & defense at every position & several guys who were at their best in the biggest games. And, I still can’t match up with Shaq. Lol. My goal would be to throw as many bodies & fouls at him as possible in hopes of neutralizing him some. I think my overall edge in perimeter scoring would help offset Shaq, too. Although he does have a cpl of knockdown shooters on the bench. His team is pretty complete too.

Who knows how to stop Larry Bird better than Larry Bird?

Most of the points I was going to make were already made by @JHannibalSmith

I'd probably start Hardaway in this series instead of Luka for the steady veteran presence.

Series goes 7 games, comes down to whoever has the ball on the last possession.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Who knows how to stop Larry Bird better than Larry Bird?

Most of the points I was going to make were already made by @JHannibalSmith

I'd probably start Hardaway in this series instead of Luka for the steady veteran presence.

Series goes 7 games, comes down to whoever has the ball on the last possession.

Man, it’s tough to find weaknesses to exploit at this point. We both have advantages here & there but they kinda even out.

Reactions: 420grover
ADVERTISEMENT