ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Basketball Related

Aug 17, 2017
Looking to move to KY from CA. Any suggestions for best counties/cities to live in? I have family in Lincoln County. Huge UK fan. I appreciate any feedback.

Owsley County, City of Booneville. The city was named after Daniel Boone. Only problem is protesters are threatening to demolish any statue's of old Daniel. Another example of how the few can dictate what the many do not want.

A lot depends on what lifestyle you want to live. Plenty of rural land with relatively easy access to amenities, NKY (due to Cincinnati) and LOU have more big city feel and Lexington is all blue. Lots of lakes if you are into watersports, mountains for camping/hiking, and a NASCAR track if that's your gig. Good luck with the research!

Looking to move to KY from CA. Any suggestions for best counties/cities to live in? I have family in Lincoln County. Huge UK fan. I appreciate any feedback.
May I inquire: why are you moving to Kentucky from California?

Dude Loserville is the last place I would suggest moving to in Kentucky.
Depending on where you lived in California...Loserville could be the ONLY place I would suggest moving to in Ky.

Don't live in Lincoln County. If you want to be close to there, move to Danville or Somerset.

If you prefer a faster pace, like others have said, get closer to Lexington, Louisville, or Cincinnati.

Reactions: brianpoe
I've lived in Louisville. I live in Lexington now. There isn't even a thought here, it's Lexington by a mile. Safer, cleaner, nicer. Then there's the basketball thing. No better place to be than Lex during basketball or football season. I've lived in both with and without kids, pre and post marriage. It's Lexington easily. DO NOT MOVE TO Louisville. It sucks ass. This is my advice.

/thread.

Deal with this:
61215bbc6680cafa156e24f03a8f92eb--uk-basketball-kentucky-basketball.jpg

Or This:
ukfans_display_image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I know a lot of UK fans like to rip the city of Louisville because they associate that with the school. No one hates the Cards like I do, but Louisville is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. It has its rough edges just like any other decently sized city, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in this state, including Lexington (went to UK, didn't like living there at all).

You get the big city feel in a way going to do cool things around downtown, but you also are a 20 minute drive from the country if you prefer to be more away from things. Love Louisville.

Reactions: ganner918
I guess it depends on what you want. Lots of rural/small towns with lots of outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, fishing and boating. Of course you have bigger cities with other types of activities, restaurants, shopping, etc. If that is what you are looking for I personally like Bowling Green. You are an hour or so from Nashville, 2 hours to Louisville, and 2 1/2 hours to Lexington so you can catch a UK game and you are close to Barren River lake and Land Between the Lakes.

I know a lot of UK fans like to rip the city of Louisville because they associate that with the school. No one hates the Cards like I do, but Louisville is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. It has its rough edges just like any other decently sized city, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in this state, including Lexington (went to UK, didn't like living there at all).

You get the big city feel in a way going to do cool things around downtown, but you also are a 20 minute drive from the country if you prefer to be more away from things. Love Louisville.

To each his own. I personally hated Louisville. Lived there for 18 years between two different stints. The rough edges there seem to creep into the center from all around. Sure, Lex is smaller, but damned if it's not just an awesome place to be. What made you hate Lex? Just curious. In Louisville, I just didn't like the traffic, hated most of downtown, didn't like that its just dirty most everywhere. It's nice if you want to hang out in your nice neighborhood I guess. Not as tight knit, more spread and commuter feel. More crime in general. I worked downtown for two years and saw everything from murder by gun to a man burning on the corner of Third Street. Didn't feel safe anywhere downtown, even where you were "supposed" to be. Alway cautious. Of course, that's just me.

No way. If you hated UK and Lexington why didn't you transfer your ass to Loserville. I visited Loserville one time and it took a week to get the stink of the city out of my clothes. As soon as I hit Lexington the sun came up and the world was right again. Is your last name McGee?

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
To each his own. I personally hated Louisville. Lived there for 18 years between two different stints. The rough edges there seem to creep into the center from all around. Sure, Lex is smaller, but damned if it's not just an awesome place to be. What made you hate Lex? Just curious. In Louisville, I just didn't like the traffic, hated most of downtown, didn't like that its just dirty most everywhere. It's nice if you want to hang out in your nice neighborhood I guess. Not as tight knit, more spread and commuter feel. More crime in general. I worked downtown for two years and saw everything from murder by gun to a man burning on the corner of Third Street. Didn't feel safe anywhere downtown, even where you were "supposed" to be. Alway cautious. Of course, that's just me.
I guess its just preference. I don't consider the city dirty at all, with the exception of the west end. Lexington just didn't offer me much. Outside of going to UK games or hanging out with friends, just didn't seem like much to do. It's a beautiful town, though. Just wouldn't live there again. I think the traffic is actually worse there considering Louisville is a lot more spread out and there's more highways that come through town. Never had a problem feeling threatened downtown. Always have a blast as long as I don't stray too far west. Much more to do around here, if you ask me.

No way. If you hated UK and Lexington why didn't you transfer your ass to Loserville. I visited Loserville one time and it took a week to get the stink of the city out of my clothes. As soon as I hit Lexington the sun came up and the world was right again. Is your last name McGee?
You're an idiot. You realize there are a ton of UK fans living in Louisville right? I went to UK and U of L, have been a Kentucky fan since I was a little kid. Now move along, hillbilly.

You're an idiot. You realize there are a ton of UK fans living in Louisville right? I went to UK and U of L, have been a Kentucky fan since I was a little kid. Now move along, hillbilly.
Go Smack yourself Mr. David Duke. I would not brag about living in Loserville and you can take your stupid, idiot, smartass, loserville lover, @ss wipe, suck up, moran, RP suck up, after birth face and UK hater butt back to the sewer hole you crawled out of. Oh I almost forgot... bite my Hillbilly @ss. I bet you are still a little kid, junior.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Go Smack yourself Mr. David Duke. I would not brag about living in Loserville and you can take your stupid, idiot, smartass, loserville lover, @ss wipe, suck up, moran, RP suck up, after birth face and UK hater butt back to the sewer hole you crawled out of. Oh I almost forgot... bite my Hillbilly @ss. I bet you are still a little kid, junior.
Gotta love the tough guys who talk smack to someone they don't know over the internet. You're bringing down the average IQ of UK fans one post at a time. Stop quoting me now, please. I don't have time for people with less than 4 teeth in their mouth.

I guess its just preference. I don't consider the city dirty at all, with the exception of the west end. Lexington just didn't offer me much. Outside of going to UK games or hanging out with friends, just didn't seem like much to do. It's a beautiful town, though. Just wouldn't live there again. I think the traffic is actually worse there considering Louisville is a lot more spread out and there's more highways that come through town. Never had a problem feeling threatened downtown. Always have a blast as long as I don't stray too far west. Much more to do around here, if you ask me.

West end is rough for sure. I had the luxury of being on Shelbyville Road when the west and came to riot. That was fun .

Reactions: JimboBBN
West end is rough for sure. I had the luxury of being on Shelbyville Road when the west and came to riot. That was fun .
Haha I bet man. Like I said, just preference. I was born and raised in Louisville so I think that has a lot to do with it. Wouldn't trade my years at UK for anything, though!

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Gotta love the tough guys who talk smack to someone they don't know over the internet. You're bringing down the average IQ of UK fans one post at a time. Stop quoting me now, please. I don't have time for people with less than 4 teeth in their mouth.
Dude you need to play the lottery since you have esp and able to see other people. Now I will ignore your stupid @ss

Oh no, please don't :rolleyes: I went to UK and got a degree there, which is more than you can obviously say, considering you type like you flunked the second grade.

Lexington is a great town. I enjoyed my college years there and then some after I graduated. Louisville (most ul fans aside) has some really nice areas. Springhurst, Lake Forest, Anchorage (especially if you have kids), Highlands. Just depends on what type of surrounding you're looking for. Louisville is very spread out.

Haha I bet man. Like I said, just preference. I was born and raised in Louisville so I think that has a lot to do with it. Wouldn't trade my years at UK for anything, though!

When did you graduate? And where did you grow up in Louisville. I was at UK 93-98. It was a great time to live on campus, and off. Grew up in Okalona/Preston Highway areas.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Lexington is a beautiful city. Louisville has some nice areas, but it doesn't compare to Lexington.

Reactions: crpoore
When did you graduate? And where did you grow up in Louisville. I was at UK 93-98. It was a great time to live on campus, and off. Grew up in Okalona/Preston Highway areas.
Very cool. I graduated in May 2016 actually. I just bought my first house and its pretty close to where you grew up. I grew up around the Crescent Hill area, but I prefer to be a little further away from downtown.

Northern Kentucky has several great places to live and the location to Cincy is a huge plus. 9 of the top 20 safest cities in Kentucky according to this https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-kentucky/ are in Northern Kentucky.
I should add that sports wise, it's a mixed bag. It's majority Kentucky fans but definitely not the 90%+ UK fans you see elsewhere in the state outside Louisville. More like 50% UK, 20% UC, 30% mixed bag of OSU, Louisville, Xavier, random school.

I grew up in Lexington. Beautiful place. Super clique-y. First question is usually: "What church do you belong to."

Which, you know, works for some people.

Limited nightlife, improving eating, very car-dependent. Massive expansion on the outer edges of town, track housing, chain stores. The downtown is hanging in there, but if you're into giant super markets, Applebee's, Zaxby's, and more Applebee's, then you're in luck.

I have a good friend in Old Louisville. It's pretty hip down there, and cheaper than the burbs. Old brick homes for relatively less money. Have to deal with inconsistent crime areas.

Don't pick a city based on what color they wear. And definitely don't pick Owensboro. I was raised there as a little guy and have family there. That place is an armpit.

Thanks for the comments I appreciate them. I'll keep researching. I was thinking somewhere near Lexington, if not in Lexington. I'm also a Reds fan so N KY appeals to me as well.

ADVERTISEMENT