ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like the media is really hush about the tournament

yabbadabbadoo

Senior
Nov 3, 2007
Really hard to find any tournament talk. Sitting here with the Sweet Sixteen teams in place and games starting again tomorrow night and there's nothing, I mean nothing.

All the talk is about James Harden, Richard Sherman, Tiger Woods comeback ([roll]), Lebron James, or about a dozen other things. It's like the tournament isn't even in full swing.

I know there isn't much to say, but the way they dissect everything and discuss everything else 'til you want to puke, you'd think they would say something about the tournament some time.

I have my reasons for why I think this is happening, but I'll just keep them to myself.

If Duke was already out of the tournament they probably wouldn't have it on t v. ESPN is scared to death that we are going to make the FF and Duke may not.UNC Arizona and VA already gone,Duke and KU on a collision course it has been one of the best ever NCAAT so far,hope it continues that way.

Reactions: MbergCat
Really hard to find any tournament talk. Sitting here with the Sweet Sixteen teams in place and games starting again tomorrow night and there's nothing, I mean nothing.

All the talk is about James Harden, Richard Sherman, Tiger Woods comeback ([roll]), Lebron James, or about a dozen other things. It's like the tournament isn't even in full swing.

I know there isn't much to say, but the way they dissect everything and discuss everything else 'til you want to puke, you'd think they would say something about the tournament some time.

I have my reasons for why I think this is happening, but I'll just keep them to myself.

I did see one report on espn about what Duke will do to defeat the Syracuse zone. That's about it.

Reactions: MbergCat
This has been very puzzling to me as well. Even after the games went off this weekend, there was barely any talk of the tournament. I had to turn it to TruTV or CBSSB to catch the tournament rundown but every time I turn it to ESPN, the only talk is about the NBA, hockey, NFL, or some sportscenter special that nobody gives a flying eff about. I've been done with ESPN for a while now but no talk of the tournament AT ALL is just ridiculous. It's the biggest sporting event going on this time of year. If it was college football, they wouldn't be able to keep the coverage off the air long enough to eat a meal.

Reactions: UKUGA
Not sure why you laugh about tiger woods comeback. A 2nd and a 5th last two tournaments and was in striking distance late in final round both times. Also a top 15 the tournament before that. Went from 1193 to 35th in the fed ex cup standing and has played way fewer tournaments than most others, guy is back. That’s a very huge thing for the PGA tour and is definitely news worthy......

Reactions: CalipariCapo
While I agree with the general sentiments expressed in this thread, my historical recollection is that the Monday-Wednesday leading up to the sweet 16 tends to be sort of a dead time.

I think conference tourney, selection Sunday, bracket-filling, and first weekend mayhem tends to take a lot out of people.

In short, whether right or wrong, I don't this is much different than recent history.

A good comparison will be Final Four week. If there's no juice next week, then I suspect I'm wrong; but, I fully expect al the East Coast journalists are anxious to get out of snowmageddon and on to San Antonio.

Reactions: Wall2Wall
Not sure why you laugh about tiger woods comeback. A 2nd and a 5th last two tournaments and was in striking distance late in final round both times. Also a top 15 the tournament before that. Went from 1193 to 35th in the fed ex cup standing and has played way fewer tournaments than most others, guy is back. That’s a very huge thing for the PGA tour and is definitely news worthy......
Yep, whatever you think of Tiger's personal life, PGA golf is infinitely more interesting when he's playing, AND when he's playing well.

It's always the same every season. Craziness happens during march madness; turn on espn the next morning and Adam Schefter is running his mouth about some trade rumors around an NFL player I've never heard of. I mean, a 16 seed beat the number 1 overall seed in the tournament (by 20) for the first time in history. Maybe do some actual reporting and bring that team into your studio for some kind of interview or SOMETHING.
I might come off as dramatic but its a problem with sports journalism that has bothered me for a long time. How easy is it to list off a dozen potential NFL trades (in March), or recount LeBron's stats? Sing a new tune is all I'm saying.

A FF of, say KState, Florida State, Texas Tech and Clemson would be a ratings nightmare

only if you give a crap about golf count me out its one thing to play it but to set in front of a tv for 3 or 4 hours and watch it.

There were some threads earlier this year about the decline in popularity of college basketball aside from a few pockets/regions. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised about the lack of chatter.

ADVERTISEMENT