ADVERTISEMENT

Second-Tier Coaches with Pros

Eight_Banners

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 4, 2012
My problem with Cal departing by termination or leaving on his own, at this point, has been not having that clear-cut replacement. Dan Hurley has separated himself from any other option as the "Go get him!" guy. Everyone else is second tier, with the only possible exception being Brad Stevens, who I think would be great here despite being out of coaching for awhile. So, that leaves us with second-tier options, and here are some names with resumes for consideration (in no particular order):

Billy Donovan (Bulls) - I hate that he spurned us twice. I think he would be a good hire. He is a lot older than I would prefer, but maybe he has a good 6-8 years in him. It would be hard to wait for his NBA season to end because of recruiting and transfer portal issues.

Scott Drew (Baylor) - This is a boring hire, though the thought has grown on me. He has missed a lot of tournaments in twenty-one years (8 times), and has exited in round one or round two of the tournaments seven times. He would be a Cal upgrade, but not a particularly enthusiastic replacement.

Grant McCasland (Tex. Tech) - Took Texas Tech from 16-16 overall, 5-13 in conference, to 23-11, 11-7 in conference and to the NCAAT where they lost to Final Four team NC State, in his first season. He killed it at North Texas, taking them from 27% winning percentage the previous year, to 53% or higher, with a thirty-win season in 2022-23.

Fred Hoiberg (Nebraska) - Made Iowa State relevant from 2011-2015, and has taken Nebraska from the depths to a tournament team in five years. He has NBA coaching experience and connections which could go a long way to getting kids to play here. Just won the Coach of the Year in the Big 10.

Chris Beard (Ole Miss) - If Beard would have stayed at Texas, I think he would be the second phone call after Hurley. Unfortunately, whatever happened in Texas happened, and now there's some unknown to his background. However, I think this would be the best hire after Hurley.

T. J. Otzelberger (Iowa State) - He has made Iowa State relevant again. He dipped in his second season there but brought Iowa State from unranked to top-5 in 2023-24 and #2 seed in the tournament. Lost by 3 to Illinois by 3 in the Sweet 16.

Shaka Smart (Marquette) - I'm a little more hesitant with Smart because he wasn't successful in Texas. However, he has been steadily improving Marquette.

Tommy Lloyd (Arizona) - He has kept Arizona rolling. The only hesitation is that he hasn't made it past the Sweet 16 in the tournament. Though, that means he ought to be hungry to win.

I would be open to Drew, Donovan, and Lloyd if we can’t get Hurley. Beard, maybe but he would be further down the list. Hard pass on Shaka Smart, he was a one-year wonder who hasn’t been able to replicate that success in his other stops. As for the rest of the list. we just haven’t seen enough to justify giving the Kentucky job to them.

I would be open to Drew, Donovan, and Lloyd if we can’t get Hurley. Beard, maybe but he would be further down the list. Hard pass on Shaka Smart, he was a one-year wonder who hasn’t been able to replicate that success in his other stops. As for the rest of the list. we just haven’t seen enough to justify giving the Kentucky job to them.
I think I would take Beard over Drew. He has improved every season he has coached except for the year following the Final Four at Texas Tech (2019-20). He had Texas to #2 in the country before the apparent false accusations by his fiance. I really think if he had stayed at Texas he would probably be our #2 phone call, behind Hurley, if Beard wasn't the stop to Hurley's success.

Plus, Beard has tasted the Final Four and Championship game without a title. He has to be hungry for that title.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT