ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tournament

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
UK draws the 11 seed in the SEC tournament with the first game against 6 seeded Florida tomorrow (5/25) at 10:30 AM EST.

It seems likely that UK turns to Sean Harney to start the game, but that is a bit interesting given that he threw 24 pitches on Saturday to close out the win against Vanderbilt. That isn't so many that he couldn't start again on Tuesday, but it is still a somewhat quick turnaround.

Florida this past weekend got swept by Arkansas and they pitched all 3 of their top 3 weekend guys. So, it is a bit unclear who they might turn to 24 hours from now. Jack Leftwich has some starts for them and UK faced him 3 times a few weeks ago. He is the one who mocked the UK bench after closing out the Saturday game. So, there is bad beef there. Still, he threw 50+ on Friday and has been more of an out of the bullpen type guy lately. So, seems more likely that he'll continue that role. Instead, I believe UF will probably do more of a Johnny All Staff type of approach. They will look to preserve everyone for a longer SEC tournament run and will try to steal a win with the entire bullpen. Part of that being that they just don't have anyone who has established themselves as a fourth starter. So, they could go with any number of guys, 9 guys on their team have started at least 1 game this year, but I think the approach will be to have a short leash on anyone who gets into trouble. If I am UF and he is available, I might start with lefty Timmy Manning and see what he can do. Just a freshman and he hasn't pitched basically all month, but UK is especially poor against lefties, so I would probably try to see what I could get out of him and if he gets in trouble just be ready to go to a more established arm.

I see this as a pretty much wide open tourney. Probably 4 teams with a good shot, Vandy, TN, Miss St and Ole Miss. Based on nothing but a hunch, I'll go with Ole Miss. UK needs to act as a spoiler, extend a favorite by getting into their bullpen.

I hate florida more than any other SEC team (though UT under vitello is gaining), so even if we go 1-2, I just want to beat them Tuesday morning.
I’m right there with you on Florida. I can’t stand them. There’s really only two SEC teams I hate and they are Florida and Tennessee.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
I see this as a pretty much wide open tourney. Probably 4 teams with a good shot, Vandy, TN, Miss St and Ole Miss. Based on nothing but a hunch, I'll go with Ole Miss. UK needs to act as a spoiler, extend a favorite by getting into their bullpen.

LSU always seems to come out of nowhere in the tournament. Would not surprise me to see them do that again as a 9 seed. They'd have to go through Arkansas though, and they just seem at least a head above the rest. So, I kind of doubt it happens, but LSU just always seems to do well in the SEC tournament.

Reactions: mrschwump
You don't think the #1 team in the country, Arkansas, has a shot?

Arkansas really has no need to throw any top arms in this since the #1 seed is already locked up, but I guess teams like Vandy and Tennessee aren't going to move much either so they may hold guys out too.

I imagine that everyone in the SEC is kind of locked into place. Maybe someone like Ole Miss has a shot to play into a top 8, but I think that Arky, Vandy and UT have top 8s locked up and won't be worried much. Miss State probably has one too. So, Ole Miss has the most to play for in the top. Then after that you have various reasons for teams to try to win as many as possible, whether it be to try to host (USC) or just to get in (UK).

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Looks like Tommy Mace is going to start for Florida. He went 7 innings against UK on May 7th. He threw 104 pitches against Arkansas on Thursday going 4.2 innings allowing three runs against 5 hits. Striking out 8.

I don't think that Arkansas has a shot to win it, because I don't believe that Coach Dave Van Horn even cares if we win it. He will be trying to get in starters repetitions, keeping off the rust, hopefully avoiding injuries, getting some less used pitchers some experience, and setting everything up for the Regionals.

Arkansas has absolutely nothing to play for, the overall number one seed is locked up.

Now for one more tidbit. If we get to meet Vanderbilt in the winners or losers bracket AND they pitch Rocker or Leiter, I would bet that the position starters would play to get a look at them from the plate, just in case we meet again in Omaha.

Good luck to the Cats, whatever the outcome is, I hope that you get another coach. I have been on here for years saying that Kentucky Fans deserve better than Nick Mingione, and this season hasn't changed my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT