ADVERTISEMENT

SEC (sort of) explains technical on UK's Humphries

preacher_tom

Junior
May 21, 2015
Laurel River Lake
Kyle Tucker, @KyleTucker_CJ 4:31 p.m. EST February 21, 2016
NCAA Basketball: Kentucky at Texas A&M
(Photo: Troy Taormina, Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports)
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Southeastern Conference has finally commented on the controversial technical foul call against Kentucky’s Isaac Humphries late in the Wildcats’ 79-77 loss at Texas A&M on Saturday, although the league didn’t offer much.

SEC spokesman Craig Pinkerton provided the following statement in response to The Courier-Journal’s request for clarification on the call: “The official determined the Kentucky player committed an unsportsmanlike act in violation of Rule 10, Section 3, a Class A Unsporting Technical Infraction, resulting in the awarding of two free throws to Texas A&M.”

THE COURIER-JOURNAL
Cats stunned by bizarre technical in A&M loss

Official Pat Adams called a technical on Humphries for spiking the basketball during a celebration with teammates, however there is no specific language about such a move in the rule cited. Among the 11 offenses listed in Rule 10, Section 3, only two could even conceivably be applied to what Humphries did:

* “Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment.”

* “Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel.”

Neither of those, however, seem to fit what Humphries did.

With 9.4 seconds to go and UK leading by one, he grabbed a rebound and was fouled. During a celebration with teammates, the freshman 7-footer from Australia spiked the ball. Adams called the technical, Humphries’ fifth foul.

The Aggies hit two free throws, Skal Labissiere tied the game by making 1 of 2 on the other end as Humphries’ replacement, and then A&M was awarded possession and won on a tip-in at the buzzer. Humphries, who immediately tried to explain himself to Adams, apologized to his teammates all the way into the locker room.

“He was celebrating. He was so happy. There was no disrespect to anybody. There was nothing,” UK coach John Calipari said afterward. “I’m not mad at that kid. Are you kidding me?”

Video | John Calipari reviews loss at Texas A&M Kyle Tucker, C-J

Humphries, after all, produced six points, a career-high 12 rebounds and two blocks in 20 minutes off the bench. His offensive rebound and two free throws gave the Cats a lead late in overtime.

On Sunday, Calipari took to Twitter to comment further on his Wildcats (20-7, 10-4 SEC), who are still in first place in the league.

“Players couldn’t understand why I wasn’t mad about the loss yesterday. They’ve never seen me this way after a game like that,” he wrote. “It’s really simple: I feel really good about the game because our kids fought.”

Kyle Tucker can be reached at (502) 582-4361. Email him at ktucker@courier-journal.com.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...rt-explains-technical-uks-humphries/80707124/

Hope I did this right.

Reactions: uky8unc5
No offense, but about every thread you post was posted a half a day earlier. Suggest you read the first two pages of threads before starting a new one. It would save you lots of time and energy !
I appreciate the expanded update by @preacher_tom. He previously reported a brief comment concerning the released statement by the SEC on page 3 of a previous thread. Appreciated the updated comments by Cal as this is the first I heard them. By the way, Craig Pinkerton didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know, and we all knew, that it would just be explained away. Let's move on to Bama.

Reactions: Blueaz
Thanks Tom! And don't pay attention to the undeserved comment. I have posted a ton about this topic and had not seen any reference to the CJ article. Appreciate your contributions.

Reactions: Blueaz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT