ADVERTISEMENT

Sec Nation

Bama
UGA
LSU
KENTUCKY

Head to Head has got to matter! I'll give LSU node at 3 and us at 4 due to Fact LSU Beat UGA. If you told me before the season we would be overall #4 in SEC I would be estatic and I would also assume we would be in top 15.

It's called "perception"...if what you say is true(and I'm not saying it's not "correct") then why is it the the BIG BOYS don't do it that way...and LSU'S offense being that way is the reason Les Miles no longer coaches there and EO soon may not. It's 2018 and CFB is no longer three yds and a cloud of dust

Bama up until this year ran the ball more than they threw it. They now finally have a QB that his strength is throwing the ball. They fit into the “Big Boy” category. Of course you need to be able to throw the ball, but if your strength is running the Football then that’s what you do.

Bama up until this year ran the ball more than they threw it. They now finally have a QB that his strength is throwing the ball. They fit into the “Big Boy” category. Of course you need to be able to throw the ball, but if your strength is running the Football then that’s what you do.

You also have to factor in that they have 3 WR who would be the number 1 guy on about 120 FBS teams in the country.

Right or wrong, if we were scheduled to play any of those teams this weekend at a neutral site I think they would all be favored to beat us. Not saying it’s right but I get it.
They were favored the first time so that means absolutely nothing. Do you actually think we would be the dog on a neutral field against a team we beat on their field? Seems rather preposterous to me. We have winning streaks over 2 of those teams and we are still the annual dog going in. So there is that I guess.

Last edited:
They were favored the first time so that means absolutely nothing. Do you actually think we would be the dog on a neutral field against a team we beat on their field? Seems rather preposterous to me. We have winning streaks over 2 of those teams and we are still the annual dog going in. So there is that I guess.

I didn’t say we would lose or that it’s the correct call. Just think that would be the case. It’s a hypothetical anyway so I just hope we beat Penn State at this point in time.

Yeah, but thats from our fans. Florida will draw more casual viewers in than we will.

You might be right, and maybe that’s why they ended up ranked higher, but I think we might be promoting a false negative.

When Kentucky basketball and football were relevant in the 70’s, we easily had the largest radio and TV “Network” in the nation, at one time in 10 states, and DC.

We share (now) with A & M the uniqueness of likely having more graduates and in-state born natives, living both elsewhere and outside of the SEC footprint, than any other conference schools. In our case, by simple geography. Florida is surrounded by water and Georgia, and was not in the Top 3 in the old Tier III revenue (Bama, Ky., Georgia).

Florida might be a better TV draw, but I would have to see solid numbers proving it, to believe it.

Football is all about what have you done for me lately. We didnt finish strong the 2nd half, and thats what they are basing this on. Same reason, in addition to name brand, Florida is going NY6 and we arent.

Objectively, OP is right. But thats not how this works. Our offense did look good last two games but look at the opponent.

Its plain and simple folks, if we want to have respect build a bit morr, our offense needs to show up and show out in the bowl game. We all know how it went downhill, and now the only thing we can hang our hat on is the last 2 games against meh competition. Perform the same as we did in those two v Penn State, that will shut these guys up.
5-1 first half, 4-2 second half? Is that really a huge dropoff?

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
"If they play with the vigor they showed against Mississippi State, they can and will beat Penn State. "

What I want to see is the KY team that played against Mississippi State show up and the Penn State team that played against MD show up and we will have a heck of a game.

Otherwise, if the KY team that played TN (Nov 10) shows up and/or the Penn State team that played against Rutgers (Nov 17) shows up, it will be ugly and lopsided one way or the other.

A lot of opinions from both sides which way this will go, but nobody really knows which version of their team will show up on Jan 1!

Hey Nit - I can pretty much assure the the Cat team that didn't show up vs ewetee won't be the ones you get to watch given they won't have played their hearts out for the SEC East crown the previous week.

Now compare the offensive and defensive stats from first and second halves.
Only stat that matters at the end of the day is W's and L's. Not being a smart ass but if we win on scoreboard I could care less we were outgained on the ground or through the air. I don't care that we gave up huge yardage....etc

Only stat that matters at the end of the day is W's and L's. Not being a smart ass but if we win on scoreboard I could care less we were outgained on the ground or through the air. I don't care that we gave up huge yardage....etc
You said there wasnt a huge dropoff, there was. Simple. Pull up those offensive and defensive stats.

You quoted my post which was specifically speaking about why Florida got the nod over us, and then you want to just put your head in the sand when presented with a portion of the reasoning why that happened. Its great that you dont care about those things; the committee obviously does however.

People here realize over the last 6 weeks of the season Kentucky was a horribly average team - I mean it’s easier to just scream “biased media!” but it would be more honest (though maybe more difficult) to acknowledge that against Mizzou, Vandy, Georgia, MTSU and Tennessee the Cats didn’t remotely resemble a top 20 team. You can act like it’s not the case but it just is.

No unbiased third party who watched football last year believes that at the end of the year Kentucky was a better team than any of those mentioned, and it’s not because everyone hates Kentucky but because for two months to close the season Kentucky just didn’t look that good on the field.

People here realize over the last 6 weeks of the season Kentucky was a horribly average team - I mean it’s easier to just scream “biased media!” but it would be more honest (though maybe more difficult) to acknowledge that against Mizzou, Vandy, Georgia, MTSU and Tennessee the Cats didn’t remotely resemble a top 20 team. You can act like it’s not the case but it just is.

No unbiased third party who watched football last year believes that at the end of the year Kentucky was a better team than any of those mentioned, and it’s not because everyone hates Kentucky but because for two months to close the season Kentucky just didn’t look that good on the field.
Didn't look good strictly because the offense is not exciting...We beat Fla. Mst, Vandy, Mizzou and SC all of which I think are bowl teams if I'm correct. We sucked against UT was the only bad loss we had. Check who Fla lost to and get back to me.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07

Actually, against Mizzou, in retrospect, we probably did look like a Top 20 team. Turns out, Mizzou is pretty good- 8-4 and now ranked. And UK held them to zero first downs in the second half, and won at their house. That's a top 20 caliber win.

Saying we didn’t look Top 20 when defeating a ( subsequently) ranked Mizzou on the road, or beating a decent Vandy team, or a double-digit win over a solid MTSU team is pretty easily countered with the fact we moved up in the rankings with each of those wins.

Hey man it’s wins and losses and body of work

They played one horrible game at Tennessee and paid a dear price for it from a rankings and bowl standpoint

You said there wasnt a huge dropoff, there was. Simple. Pull up those offensive and defensive stats.

You quoted my post which was specifically speaking about why Florida got the nod over us, and then you want to just put your head in the sand when presented with a portion of the reasoning why that happened. Its great that you dont care about those things; the committee obviously does however.
As far as the committee goes I don't think they know our offensive and defensive stats, they did not like out "L" to UT

As far as the committee goes I don't think they know our offensive and defensive stats, they did not like out "L" to UT
Hence why i said a portion of the reasoning. Thats also anothet piece of the pie. But it also goes to my point about how we played overall the 2nd half. Mediocre to poor efforts v Mizzou Vandy and UT. Wins are wins, and losses are losses, and how you get both also matters when comparing. On its face, our body of work is as good as Florida's. If Tennessee played their best game of the season and just knocked us off in a 38-35 barn burner, we probably dont get penalized for it.

Why the hell is winning 45-42 any better than wining 15-14 or 20-17? I know to the people that enjoy offense and discount great defense will rejoice. But the bottom line is winning the game. And we were 3-1 against the top. WTH do we have to do?? Funny thing is LSU’s offense is not great either and hasn’t been for over a decade.

Winning is the most important, that most of us will agree with you. However, losing to TA&M by 14-20, Ga. 17-34, Tenn 7-24, and only beating Missou 15-14, after time had expired, does not give fans great confidence in our offense. It appeared to get worse in the last half of the season. We averaged 32 points per game in the first 5, but only 11 in the next 5, losing 3 of them. I would like to see the offense improve, not go backward. That tells me that opposing coaches have our offense figured out, and know how to stop us.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Winning is the most important, that most of us will agree with you. However, losing to TA&M by 14-20, Ga. 17-34, Tenn 7-24, and only beating Missou 15-14, after time had expired, does not give fans great confidence in our offense. It appeared to get worse in the last half of the season. We averaged 32 points per game in the first 5, but only 11 in the next 5, losing 3 of them. I would like to see the offense improve, not go backward. That tells me that opposing coaches have our offense figured out, and know how to stop us.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Our offense needs to improve no doubt. Think it will be a lot better with a seasoned QB and hopefully healthy OLine. We are deep up front but still losing your best LT hurts. We also had another LT that was banged up. Having a QB that now has a season under his belt will help tremendously.

Hey Nit - I can pretty much assure the the Cat team that didn't show up vs ewetee won't be the ones you get to watch given they won't have played their hearts out for the SEC East crown the previous week.

Sounds like you're making excuses there. Not sure what you were watching, but "played their hearts out" was not what I saw? Against MSU - yes. Against, A&M, yes. Against USCjr - yes. Against UGA - definitive no......UT game, arch rival - it should not matter when, where, or how. Should have been a street fight, and we were sleepwalking. Why? It was NOT because of any UGA hangover, that much is certain. Something else going on behind the scenes that nobody on this board know's about. UL is so down, it's hard to say if that issue is gone. We'll know pretty quickly again PSU. From all indications we are focused. Everyone playing and nobody sitting makes a huge statement. I think the Kats are going to ready. Wear that underdog chip with pride.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT