ADVERTISEMENT

Sec Nation

Chad Rock

Junior
Jul 12, 2004
Spears and Tebow on previewing bowl games.

I kid you not...they were debating the third best team in the SEC.

Choices were:

LSU at 9-3
Florida at 9-3
Miss State at 8-4
Mizz at 8-4

LSU eked out the other three. Hey, didn’t UK beat three of those teams and finished with a 9-3 record?

Wowzers.

That UT loss was just that ammo they needed to solidify their perception that we weren’t that good but just kept getting by.

Kinda like the Tebow led Broncos. They were actually a solid team but bc they were running ground and pound offense that was grinding out wins, they were undervalued even after knocking out Pitt in the playoffs. Ppl don’t like Ugly and we still have a rep to shake.

The convo should be us and LSU. But the media has completely discredited our UF win and chalked it up to “Dan Mullen’s 2nd game and Franks wasn’t molded by him yet and UF is vastly different now”. Anyone who has watched both teams all year knows that isn’t the case.

They played good before us...thy played good after us...they still got smoked by Mizzou (who we beat on the road) and USC has them beat and blew it (another team we manhandled). We controlled both lines and if not for turnovers, we win by 21+.

Choices were:

LSU at 9-3
Florida at 9-3
Miss State at 8-4
Mizz at 8-4

LSU eked out the other three. Hey, didn’t UK beat three of those teams and finished with a 9-3 record?

Wowzers.
And if course we didn't even play LSU. Who knows, had we played them we might have been 4-0 against the four "best" third best teams. As it is we are 3-0, not 3-1.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Football is all about what have you done for me lately. We didnt finish strong the 2nd half, and thats what they are basing this on. Same reason, in addition to name brand, Florida is going NY6 and we arent.

Objectively, OP is right. But thats not how this works. Our offense did look good last two games but look at the opponent.

Its plain and simple folks, if we want to have respect build a bit morr, our offense needs to show up and show out in the bowl game. We all know how it went downhill, and now the only thing we can hang our hat on is the last 2 games against meh competition. Perform the same as we did in those two v Penn State, that will shut these guys up.

Football is all about what have you done for me lately. We didnt finish strong the 2nd half, and thats what they are basing this on. Same reason, in addition to name brand, Florida is going NY6 and we arent.

Objectively, OP is right. But thats not how this works. Our offense did look good last two games but look at the opponent.

Its plain and simple folks, if we want to have respect build a bit morr, our offense needs to show up and show out in the bowl game. We all know how it went downhill, and now the only thing we can hang our hat on is the last 2 games against meh competition. Perform the same as we did in those two v Penn State, that will shut these guys up.

Our second half of the season was nearly identical to UFs

Both lose to UGA by similar margins. Both were 4-2.

We do have another top twenty five win (to a team they lost to at home by three scores the next week btw).

Both have one bad loss.

UF needed an 17 pt comeback to beat Vandy and a 18 pt comeback to beat USC ain’t the last half of the season.

We also beat a MTSU team who won nine games to their second win of an fcs school in idaho on the season. (Might be only power five school to play two fcs teams)

Then we both handled our acc rival on the road.

Come to think of it. Our second half is actually probably better than UFs

Now Mizzu had a good second half and is playing really well

We do have another top twenty five win (to a team they lost to at home by three scores the next week btw).

Both have one bad loss.

UF needed an 17 pt comeback to beat Vandy and a 18 pt comeback to beat USC ain’t the last half of the season.

We also beat a MTSU team who won nine games to their second win of an fcs school in idaho on the season. (Might be only power five school to play two fcs teams)

I'd say of the two, there's no doubt Mizzou is having the better second half finish this year. The 4 losses overall have killed them. But they throttled Florida. They could have just as easily gotten that OPI call v us too, thank God they didn't. If anyone deserved that break, it's us.

But that's how it goes.....Mizzou gets credit for that as "Well, they probably should have won." Whereas, Kentucky gets "well, technically they stole that win." Didn't see anyone giving Florida that for the penalty on Nick Haynes last year or the play clock two years ago.

Truth be told, I really haven't paid any attention to Miss State this season. I couldn't accurately compare them. I agree that really it's a wash with Florida but like I said, TV ratings and name recognition trump body of work, in spite of what the jackasses say.

After winning the first five games, we were only 4-3 in the last seven. After winning the first five by scoring an average of 32 points per game, in the next 5, we only averaged 13 points per game, and part of those were scored by the defense.
I believe that is why some of the pundits have us rated below some of the teams we beat earlier. Our job now is to prove them wrong, and we can do that by kicking PSU's A$$ in the Citrus bowl. In football, what you do in the past doesn't count, it's what you can do today.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

That UT loss was just that ammo they needed to solidify their perception that we weren’t that good but just kept getting by.

Kinda like the Tebow led Broncos. They were actually a solid team but bc they were running ground and pound offense that was grinding out wins, they were undervalued even after knocking out Pitt in the playoffs. Ppl don’t like Ugly and we still have a rep to shake.

The convo should be us and LSU. But the media has completely discredited our UF win and chalked it up to “Dan Mullen’s 2nd game and Franks wasn’t molded by him yet and UF is vastly different now”. Anyone who has watched both teams all year knows that isn’t the case.

They played good before us...thy played good after us...they still got smoked by Mizzou (who we beat on the road) and USC has them beat and blew it (another team we manhandled). We controlled both lines and if not for turnovers, we win by 21+.
We were 3-1 against that bunch, but we were not "exciting" enough on offense to win people over. I continue to be surprised as to why so many here won't admit that offense is/was a major problem. If we lose to PSU in the bowl game it will be the reason.

After winning the first five games, we were only 4-3 in the last seven. After winning the first five by scoring an average of 32 points per game, in the next 5, we only averaged 13 points per game, and part of those were scored by the defense.
I believe that is why some of the pundits have us rated below some of the teams we beat earlier. Our job now is to prove them wrong, and we can do that by kicking PSU's A$$ in the Citrus bowl. In football, what you do in the past doesn't count, it's what you can do today.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Offense is the TOTAL reason for the skepticism with this team. I hope next season changes that, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

Choices were:

LSU at 9-3
Florida at 9-3
Miss State at 8-4
Mizz at 8-4

Wowzers.
Beat all three we played, two on the road and curb stomped the other. Where is Peter Burns to step in for you when we need him!

Coaches fault due to poor play calling. Very predictable.
The UT game was total unpreparedness at all phases of the game = coaching, players, scheme, etc.

Not sure what went on that week, other than Baker being required to sit out. The team lost all motivation and it showed from the opening seconds - listless.

If they play with the vigor they showed against Mississippi State, they can and will beat Penn State. If they come in UNfocused, they will surely lose, as Franklin is a better game coach that ours in my opinion....and I don't like that guy.

Hopefully our guys are tired of losing bowl games at this point and come in prepared and fired up. Do that, and I think this will be a great Bowl game for the Kats. Anything less than a maximum effort leave them 0-3 in bowls for the Stoops era. Time for Coaches to Coach and MOTIVATE.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Agree, Willie. Our second halves just are a puzzle to me, whether we talk about 2nd half of the game or season. I'm now looking forward to kicking the heck out of PSU, and finishing 10-3 for the first time in decades.

As a long, long-time UK fan like you, I am so darn proud of the team and coaches. Will be in Orlando to celebrate this season.

Both have one bad loss.

MTSU won 8 games but otherwise I agree with what you say. UK went 4-2 down the stretch despite poor offense against Vandy and Missouri. That was a solid finish. If UK had lost to UT by 3 on a last second field goal UK would be looked at differently.

We had our chance in the 80s and early 90s to go the ACC. In my opinion, the biggest mistake our UKAA ever made.

In the Book of Goliath, even though Goliath was felled by a single stone sent by David, Goliath is called a 5 star and David a 1 star prospect, with Goliath declared the much better warrior who just had a bad day.

We had our chance in the 80s and early 90s to go the ACC. In my opinion, the biggest mistake our UKAA ever made.

I don’t think so, a majority of their recruits come from the east coast. No kid from the south wants to play anywhere other than the SEC so we wouldn’t have been able to recruit well enough to compete imo.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The UT game was total unpreparedness at all phases of the game = coaching, players, scheme, etc.

Not sure what went on that week, other than Baker being required to sit out. The team lost all motivation and it showed from the opening seconds - listless.

If they play with the vigor they showed against Mississippi State, they can and will beat Penn State. If they come in UNfocused, they will surely lose, as Franklin is a better game coach that ours in my opinion....and I don't like that guy.

Hopefully our guys are tired of losing bowl games at this point and come in prepared and fired up. Do that, and I think this will be a great Bowl game for the Kats. Anything less than a maximum effort leave them 0-3 in bowls for the Stoops era. Time for Coaches to Coach and MOTIVATE.
"If they play with the vigor they showed against Mississippi State, they can and will beat Penn State. "

What I want to see is the KY team that played against Mississippi State show up and the Penn State team that played against MD show up and we will have a heck of a game.

Otherwise, if the KY team that played TN (Nov 10) shows up and/or the Penn State team that played against Rutgers (Nov 17) shows up, it will be ugly and lopsided one way or the other.

A lot of opinions from both sides which way this will go, but nobody really knows which version of their team will show up on Jan 1!

Right or wrong, if we were scheduled to play any of those teams this weekend at a neutral site I think they would all be favored to beat us. Not saying it’s right but I get it.

"If they play with the vigor they showed against Mississippi State, they can and will beat Penn State. "

What I want to see is the KY team that played against Mississippi State show up and the Penn State team that played against MD show up and we will have a heck of a game.

Otherwise, if the KY team that played TN (Nov 10) shows up and/or the Penn State team that played against Rutgers (Nov 17) shows up, it will be ugly and lopsided one way or the other.

A lot of opinions from both sides which way this will go, but nobody really knows which version of their team will show up on Jan 1!

Hoping for that MSU performance. That is one of the best d-lines in all of college football and UK ran it down their throats. They come in focused, they will put up BIG numbers on the ground on PSU. It seems that they will be focused, so all we need is a solid game plan (next hurdle). We'll see how it goes.

I would have to see the numbers on TV ratings.

Our tier III revenue was second only to Bama in the SEC, prior to the establishment of the SEC Network.
Yeah, but thats from our fans. Florida will draw more casual viewers in than we will. At least I assume that's their thought process. I'd be willing to bet we get higher ratings this year only because of how starved our fan base is. Maybe. Still, to Joe Blow, Florida v Michigan sounds more appealing than Kentucky v Penn State.

Youd think ticket sales would be the biggest factor in these decisions, but obviously it isn't.

Offense is the TOTAL reason for the skepticism with this team. I hope next season changes that, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

Why the hell is winning 45-42 any better than wining 15-14 or 20-17? I know to the people that enjoy offense and discount great defense will rejoice. But the bottom line is winning the game. And we were 3-1 against the top. WTH do we have to do?? Funny thing is LSU’s offense is not great either and hasn’t been for over a decade.

I respect Marcus Spears but Tebow should go back to playing Minor League Baseball. He is completely out of the loop. He has a bias vs UK ever since UK put his a$$ on his back and sent him to the hospital. The days of Florida dominating the SEC EAST are over and now the Big Dog is Georgia followed by UK The Cats proved it on the field and beat the Gators by 11 points in a game that they dominated.

Why the hell is winning 45-42 any better than wining 15-14 or 20-17? I know to the people that enjoy offense and discount great defense will rejoice. But the bottom line is winning the game. And we were 3-1 against the top. WTH do we have to do?? Funny thing is LSU’s offense is not great either and hasn’t been for over a decade.
It's called "perception"...if what you say is true(and I'm not saying it's not "correct") then why is it the the BIG BOYS don't do it that way...and LSU'S offense being that way is the reason Les Miles no longer coaches there and EO soon may not. It's 2018 and CFB is no longer three yds and a cloud of dust

Last edited:
I respect Marcus Spears but Tebow should go back to playing Minor League Baseball. He is completely out of the loop. He has a bias vs UK ever since UK put his a$$ on his back and sent him to the hospital. The days of Florida dominating the SEC EAST are over and now the Big Dog is Georgia followed by UK The Cats proved it on the field and beat the Gators by 11 points in a game that they dominated.

I think Marcus does a pretty good job, I think I am pretty sure I know why TeBow was a home schooled kid, I believe he would have been a special needs kid if he were a public school kid,. I respect his belief and him being aand living a Christian life, but that doesnt make him an authority on college football, he is a bigtime Gator homer and always has been. Very unprofession imo.

Agree, Willie. Our second halves just are a puzzle to me, whether we talk about 2nd half of the game or season. I'm now looking forward to kicking the heck out of PSU, and finishing 10-3 for the first time in decades.

As a long, long-time UK fan like you, I am so darn proud of the team and coaches. Will be in Orlando to celebrate this season.

I am proud of the job the coaches did this year. I hope the play calling we saw against Loserville continues against PSU in the Citrus Bowl. See you there!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Choices were:

LSU at 9-3
Florida at 9-3
Miss State at 8-4
Mizz at 8-4

Wowzers.

ADVERTISEMENT