ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Mega Conference: Clemson, Ohio St, Michigan, and Florida St too?

Everyone's trying to get ratings and hype back up after last year. Don't know if it will work. A lot of people got along just fine without sports, so it's a tough sell to those who did.

I've been staying off of espn/disney/abc, with just a few exceptions for over 2 years now. Nothing on espn outside of UK sports for the previous 3 years as well. No cbs, no nbc, and no fox for 5 years or more either. I can def say it's improved my life

No, I think there's a decent chance they leave the BIG12. But it's a lot more beneficial to them if the other schools find a new home at the same time because they wouldn't owe the conference any money. All of these expansion rumors help facilitate that process.

The longer it takes, Texam A&M has more time to work politics behind the scenes, BIG12 has a better chance of finding replacements, etc. None of that is good for TX or OU. So it's fan the flames and hope everyone panics and goes their separate ways.

They are correct, but K-time’s point is well taken: most of our recruiting victories have come against MSU, Penn State, Wisconsin and Nebraska. If those schools are left out of the Super-Conference, our argument might gain greater strength, at least for those without an offer from OSU and Michigan.
That's a different discussion, though. Nobody is wrong because we're saying different things.

Lol osu and michigan want no part of this...the big10 tried as hard as it could to not have a conference championship for years. That's how osu waltzed into the championship all those years prior to the playoff

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I saw that. So when are they joining the SEC?

This is my understanding of the situation. The way Texas/Oklahoma worded it was something to the effect of "We're honoring the agreement to 2025 but will keep an eye on the ever changing landscape" was very intentional. Its in Texas/Oklahoma's best interest for the majority of the teams in the Big 12 to leave. That means 3 or 4 more teams need to find a power conference to flee to before Big 12's media contract can dissolve. I'm guessing they are waiting and probably helping some of the teams get out. This might be why WVU to ACC is picking up steam. If they get the offer, then you only need 2 more teams to get an offer before half of the Big 12 is gone. Theres also the possiblity that if Big 12 replaces these teams with AAC teams, the media contract will be dissolved anyways. After all, they paid for Texas/oklahoma. Not a couple of AAC teams.

Once that happens, Texas/Oklahoma to SEC will be announced. So really it's just a matter of when a couple more big 12 schools leave. I imagine they're trying their hardest. They're probably working harder on that than working on trying to get replacements.

Sports Illustrated has a article on the potential SEC super conference. Apparently there is some smoke to this story. Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and Clemson have apparently all contacted the SEC. Interesting.

The SEC will not kick one of the Top 3 “properties” it has out of the conference.

We and Bama are in the strongest positions in the conference.
People keep saying this, and it couldn't be further from reality. Kentucky is extremely valued by the SEC. I'd love to see some evidence that we're about to get kicked out of the conference. It's ludacrous.

People keep saying this, and it couldn't be further from reality. Kentucky is extremely valued by the SEC. I'd love to see some evidence that we're about to get kicked out of the conference. It's ludacrous.

How quickly folks forget who the top two earners in the conference were before the SEC Network!!

How quickly folks forget who the top two earners in the conference were before the SEC Network!!
I think some are just letting their imaginations run away with themselves. No way the SEC is kicking us out. We won't even be "encouraged" to leave. I know Sankey doesn't feel that way. And for those keeping score, we do have the 3rd most titles in revenue sports in the SEC.

True...
I know Football money runs the ship per say.
But UK in EVERY other sport is near or at the top consistently EVERY year and I think that has validation as well.

UK also just set a school record with 20 Wildcats to Compete in this years Olympics
Men's Basketball - enough said (besides last year)
Woman's Basketball - pushing the bounds of a top team
Cheerleading - enough said as always at the top
Track - top team year in and out
Volleyball - enough said
Tennis
Riffle - enough said consistently at the top
Golf
Swim / Dive
Baseball
Soccer
Softball - enough said consistently at the top

Sports Illustrated has a article on the potential SEC super conference. Apparently there is some smoke to this story. Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and Clemson have apparently all contacted the SEC. Interesting.
No way I want B1G schools. Would kill our recruiting in their footprint.

I wonder why MI keeps getting mentioned & nary a word about PSU. N Lions offer access to more TV markets than MI.

Last edited:
The SEC will not kick one of the Top 3 “properties” it has out of the conference.

We and Bama are in the strongest positions in the conference.
We're 7th in revenue in SEC.

And for those keeping score, we do have the 3rd most titles in revenue sports in the SEC.
But if you multiply revenue for each of those sports by number of titles, we drop much further down the list. I.e., hoops are near-irrelevant vs. football.

I really dont know what the outcome of this will be. Big10, mostly OSU fans, think they are raiding the Big12 for Iowa St and Kansas and the Pac12 for SoCal, Stanford and maybe Washington. That contract the ACC has is probably going to get a test.

If all of this happens and we end up with 2 conferences with 25-30 teams, will these super conferences be for football? Everything else just goes to 6-8 regions?

Right now the NCAA is just a name with no power hoping to still collect dues. I thing college presidents or other representative will form a board that determines and enforces rules. It's basically an NFL model, which takes some of the excitement away for me.

I've seen people justify super conferences by arguing that football and basketball players aren't real students anyway, so why not just drop the artifice of them being amateurs and organize this like a real national pro league.

My question is what about the non-revenue sports? Those may matter less at some schools than others, but they do matter. Will they still be played (and will the teams travel across the country for competitions against their conference foes) or are we just scrapping anything that doesn't make money?

We absolutely need to leave OSU and UM in control of the B10 and its fate. If we hope to ever scale the mountain to its peak, we want to remain the northern boundary of the SEC footprint.

I've seen people justify super conferences by arguing that football and basketball players aren't real students anyway, so why not just drop the artifice of them being amateurs and organize this like a real national pro league.

My question is what about the non-revenue sports? Those may matter less at some schools than others, but they do matter. Will they still be played (and will the teams travel across the country for competitions against their conference foes) or are we just scrapping anything that doesn't make money?

While many football players have no interest in going to class, a good number of them are serious students too. What do you do with those kids?

Reactions: KT34 and SmedMoley
But if you multiply revenue for each of those sports by number of titles, we drop much further down the list. I.e., hoops are near-irrelevant vs. football.
You can't multiply revenue by each title. What you can look at is annual revenue. And nationally, we mostly place somewhere in the 20s. Normally 25-30. We don't do heavy lifting like Alabama and LSU for the league, but we are an asset.

I really dont know what the outcome of this will be. Big10, mostly OSU fans, think they are raiding the Big12 for Iowa St and Kansas and the Pac12 for SoCal, Stanford and maybe Washington. That contract the ACC has is probably going to get a test.

If all of this happens and we end up with 2 conferences with 25-30 teams, will these super conferences be for football? Everything else just goes to 6-8 regions?

Right now the NCAA is just a name with no power hoping to still collect dues. I thing college presidents or other representative will form a board that determines and enforces rules. It's basically an NFL model, which takes some of the excitement away for me.
I'm not sure a bastardized semi-pro college sports league will be what some are thinking. Over thing is for sure, we're getting ready to find out.

As long as Title IX is law, those other sports will exist.

You can't multiply revenue by each title. What you can look at is annual revenue. And nationally, we mostly place somewhere in the 20s. Normally 25-30. We don't do heavy lifting like Alabama and LSU for the league, but we are an asset.
Yes, as I said we're 7/14 in revenues. But that has nothing to do titles.

Kentucky moves the needle nationally in basketball when it comes to eyes on TV's, streaming, interest, etc. The impact is far less in football. But, it's revenue from football that is driving realignment. The primary basketball revenue stream to schools is the NCAA tournament. And Emmert has managed to screw the pooch on that by signing a very long-term contract with CBS for what many say is a bargain to the network (kickback anybody?). So, the bottom line is football, football, football.
Everything else is a after-thought and UK is just not that relevant to the discussion. Be thankful UK is a charter member of the SEC.

Once again whats the point of a "mega" conference if you're the only conference left? Its just another example of how money will slowly dismantle the very thing eveyone wants (or used to) enjoy. The regionality of college football and its conferences was part of the charm of it, just like the amateurism/college athlete format. As that goes away and the money takes over you'll see the appeal go away with it. I know I sound like a sentimental fuddy duddy but lets have this discussion again in 5 years and see how it goes. Its not good for the sport we came to love.

Its already started where the first thing you hear about to open every broadcast or SEC segment is the money talk. The sport itself and especially the tie to any univeristy will become less and less of the focus as it goes along.

I think one thing that will certainly come as they move away from the NCAA is increasing the roster limits. Some of the big boys already want it. Probably would affect UK negatively.

I also think at some point these athletic departments have to worry about losing non profit status. That will be the reason they never voluntarily give up the student-athlete facade.

We're 7th in revenue in SEC.

Differing schools have differing accounting procedures. When we launched the SEC Network, we were behind only Bama in Tier Three earnings, for TV and radio broadcast rights.

The SEC’s computation is not how large a budget might be, but how valuable a broadcast property is, and we were clearly behind only Bama in earnings, hence earning value to the SEC.

Well, we could kiss any recruiting advantages that we have thanks to being the northernmost SEC school goodbye.

We should also rename the conference in that situation.

I'm partial to
"Massive F-off Eastern US Conference"
Or
"Maximum Over Conference"

ADVERTISEMENT