ADVERTISEMENT

SEC COY!

His Missouri team gives me the feeling of that 2017 USC team that made the final 4 with do it all Thornwell leading the way much like Brown does for Missouri.

qGAbrhs.png

He’s a damn good coach. Probably is SEC COY

The SEC needs more like him.
FSU should ask Hamilton to retire and let his former assistant replace him. Otherwise another school will grab him.

Dude at LSU did not have a single player on the roster in April ... amazing job !!
Yes, and no. There were a few LSU returning guys who tested the portal, but then after meeting him did not leave LSU.

Heretofore coaches have been measured partly on recruiting and rightly so. IMO we can now add portal evaluation to the list.

The guy from Nevada now at Oklahoma everyone is currently raving about is a good example.

Did Porter Moser just luck out or is he a good talent evaluator? If your school is not a high profile bb school that has some built-in recruiting advantage, coaches can level the playing field a bit by extra focus on the portal. At least that’s what I see.

Cal got Reeves and that was good. But like trying to get 5 stars, Reeves was a high-profile portal guy and not much effort was required.

Some worry about UK recruiting with the next coach. A good talent evaluator will be successful over and above a schools profile.

If the next UK coach can evaluate talent particularly relative to his system then I have no worries about who he wiil be.

Not sure how you vet that skill but an effort should be made imo.

This might seem like “Well duh” and maybe it is. But in one thread someone posted they had hoped Cal would have looked at the Nevada guy. Don’t know if he did or didn’t and it doesn’t matter at this point. There’s just a lot more talent than hs that can be considered now. I still think Cal takes the easy way out and doesn’t evaluate as much as he could. Of course, since he doesn’t seem to have a particular system he recruits to, other than maybe NBA potential, maybe that’s the best approach for him

Last edited:
Talent evaluation is more important at a place like UK than having a history of getting 5*. Because the name, the brand, the NIL, the (tv) attention, that UK brings to the table will get a UK coach/assistant in the front door of 5* recruits. But can you identify the guys who are going to be as good or better than the stars indicate?

Talent evaluation is more important at a place like UK than having a history of getting 5*. Because the name, the brand, the NIL, the (tv) attention, that UK brings to the table will get a UK coach/assistant in the front door of 5* recruits. But can you identify the guys who are going to be as good or better than the stars indicate?
Agree Jonathan W, you have to identify the guys who are going to be good or better - some great high school players never get any better, some 2 and 3 stars become All Americans.

Recruiting for our next coach will not be a problem. Players have always wanted to play at Kentucky. The UK coach does not necessarily have to recruit but choose the right players for his system. If you have a balanced roster (Freshman through Seniors), you only need 3-4 players a year. Of course, this crazy portal system means everyone is going to lose 1 or more players from the roster each year. Hope this goes away soon.

If I were on the interview board for the next coach, one of my questions would be what he looks for in a potential player. I would like to hear that he wants a solid team player that puts winning ahead of personal statistics, a popular player with his classmates, a student who is lauded by his teachers, and a player that makes the other 4 on the court with him better. Don't want a CCC that only looks for 5* players using UK as a stepping stone to get to the NBA.

You know how they used to hand out the MVP in the NBA to different players, even though everyone knew Michael Jordan was the real MVP? Same situation with COY, everyone knows it's really Calipari.

• Haha
Reactions: tomrain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT