ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Baseball Tournament 2022

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Game 1 gets started here in a little less than a two hours at 10:30 Eastern time. Alabama taking on Georgia. Really feels like outside of maybe the top 3, the teams aren't all that far apart.

Reactions: jauk11
So, the bottom could be interesting. The most teams to ever get into the NCAA from 1 conference is 10 (IIRC). So, one has to imagine that the bottom 3 teams in the SEC tournament have to do some work to really feel comfortable getting in.

Vandy at 8 has the 5th best RPI and played the toughest schedule in the nation. They are soundly in the NCAA tournament. No doubt.

Ole Miss is 9 with an RPI at 36. Beating Vandy would guarantee that they are in, but I imagine they already are. Still, I think 1 more win makes them feel more comfortable.

From there it gets a bit weirder.

South Carolina has 13 league wins and finished 10th in the conference, but their RPI is second worst in the league, ahead of only Miss. State. So, do they reward a team with such a poor RPI, but that finished 10th in the league, or do they skip them and look at some others?

Alabama, like UK, has had kid of a weird season and they beat some teams you wouldn't think they would, like Arkansas this past weekend. Alabama has an RPI of 48 and they have 11 Q1 wins. Their strength of schedule is 8th hardest in the nation. So, will the committee reward Alabama over USC even though Alabama finished behind them? In all reality, Alabama could be in 12 place in the league and might have been but for a canceled game against Auburn.

Kentucky is 12th with 12 Q1 wins. More than a whole lot of teams, but USC has 13 and Alabama is just 1 shy at all, so even that number doesn't jump out. We do have a lot of top 25 series wins, so that is kind of impressive. Our SOS is 17th best, but the NC SOS hurts us as it is 192 compared to USC (106) and Alabama (72). Regardless, would the committee really jump the 10th and 11th best teams to let in 12th place Kentucky? How many wins would it take to make that jump?

Right now, I am almost more inclined to think that just 9 SEC teams get in, but that might depend on how the tournaments shape out.

Alabama up 5-0 in the second inning on Georgia. If Alabama can hold on and win this game, then I think it really only hurts UK's chances of getting into the NCAA tournament. Basically, we need more wins and they need more losses.

I think this year, the SEC will only get 9 teams in unless someone like Bama or UK make a deep run and steal a bid from another conference.

Saw on FB that there is lightning in the area. Was going to watch on SEC tonight, but if if gets started at 11 or so, forget it . . . .

Saw on FB that there is lightning in the area. Was going to watch on SEC tonight, but if if gets started at 11 or so, forget it . . . .
It’s almost 2pm EST and game one still in delay. They might not get our game in tonight.

It’s almost 2pm EST and game one still in delay. They might not get our game in tonight.

Will be interesting to see what happens here. Also interesting is that this delay may mean that the starters cannot come back out. So, who does this help long and short term in the Georgia/Alabama game.

Bama freshman is dealing right now. Had like 5 straight Ks. They are through the 5th with Bama still up 5-1.

No game tonight. Postponed until tomorrow. No time set.
Thanks, assumed some
Sorry , (computer posted before I was ready).

Assumed something like this but couldn't find the info. Anyway when does UK play tomorrow if known and is it televised? Thanks.

Last edited:
We must win at the very least two games & look good doing it.

LSU probably loving every minute of these delays.

I just have a hard time believing that 2 wins gets us there.

The first big question that we do not know the answer to is whether the SEC gets 9 or 10. Most talking heads believe it will be just 9. So, let's focus on that.

South Carolina lost last night and I think they are going to be out of the NCAA tournament. Even though they finished 10th in the league and have 13 wins, they have a losing overall record at 27-28 and have a horrible RPI at 72nd. They lost last night against Florida, so their opportunity to get more wins and better that RPI is now done. I just don't think they did enough to get in. Still, the fact that they finished 10th is going to be an issue for UK and Alabama.

Ole Miss was the 9th best team overall in the SEC and had 14 wins in SEC play. Their resume isn't amazing with just 8 Q1 wins (UK has 12). Still, they have a pretty good gap between us and them in RPI. Ole Miss lost last night to Vandy, so they cannot improve. Still, they currently have the nod as being in. D1Baseball had them soundly in on May 22, with them not even being in the last four in.

The trouble for UK is Alabama. They already won their first game in the conference tournament and they finished a half game ahead of UK and have a better RPI by 11 spots. They have the same number of Q1 wins as UK and played a significantly more difficult schedule than UK (7th toughest in the nation compared to UK's 18th, or 70th toughest Non-Conference schedule to UK's 188th). So, I think for every game that Alabama wins, UK has to win 2. Alabama has already won 1 game, so beating Auburn really only helps us keep pace. We have to hope Alabama loses and doesn't win again and then we have to win again. I am not sure even winning that second one moves us ahead of them. I really feel like we'd need a third, but even still... it seems unlikely to me that the committee rewards a 12th place Kentucky team.

By the way, here are some games that UK fans might want to pay attention to:

Dallas Baptist v. Bradley - 8pm
Dallas Baptist is a team that will get an at large bid even if they don't win the tournament. They are the 3 seed in their league and could get upset, and if so it would steal an at-large bid from someone like UK. This tournament is confusing and this game won't mean the end for DBU, but still one to keep an eye on as the 3 seed DBU plays 4 seed Bradley.

West Coast Conference -
Specifically we are watching Gonzaga and San Diego. Gonzaga is ranked 12th in the nation and they are likely to steal an at-large if they don't win the tournament. San Diego is considered a first 4 out and could play their way in. San Diego plays today at 6pm against San Francisco. This is a play-in game. If they win that they advance to a 4 team double elimination tournament that ends Saturday.

East Carolina -
ECU actually played yesterday and won 7-4. They play again tomorrow against Cincy. This is an 8 team double elimination tournament. Again, ECU is a ranked team, so if they get bounced early they likely steal a spot.

Wofford -
They have an RPI of 31 and they are 41-14 on the year. They get a bye and will play their first game at 9am tomorrow.

Grand Canyon -
WAC leader is 45th in RPI. Would still likely steal a bid if they don't win the conference tournament.

Big 10 -
If anyone but Rutgers or Maryland win that tournament then we see a steal. Maryland a top 10 RPI and Rutgers a top 50.

Conference USA -
Right now CUSA is projected to get 3 teams in. Georgia Southern has an RPI of 12, Texas State an RPI of 25 and Coastal Carolina an RPI of 28. The committee could reward the conference with 4 bids if one of those 3 doesn't win it all, but 3 seems more likely.

LOL.

Sorry for the misinformation, not at all sure what they are doing, but my Direct TV schedule still shows UK playing Auburn at 10PM while it looks like the game is starting on the SEC network as soon as a rain delay lets them. But don't take my word for anything, they are obviously screwed up here, and not getting any better. Still no game being played on SEC AND still no game on right now.

Anyway looks like my info is incorrect so I will shut up about today's game.

LOL.

Sorry for the misinformation, not at all sure what they are doing, but my Direct TV schedule still shows UK playing Auburn at 10PM while it looks like the game is starting on the SEC network as soon as a rain delay lets them. But don't take my word for anything, they are obviously screwed up here, and not getting any better. Still no game being played on SEC AND still no game on right now.

Anyway looks like my info is incorrect so I will shut up about today's game.

Game to start at 1:45eastern. So, about 10 minutes from now.

Bama leads Arky 3-0 in the 3rd. The more they win the more UK has to win to get in.

Is there like Affirmative Action against the SEC getting in the tournament? Can’t let too many of our teams get in?

10 is the most that has ever gotten in. Most think 9 get in. UK is 12th in the league. Even if you add this win, UK still only has the 12th most wins in the SEC.

So, even if we think 10 get in then UK has to find a way to jump at least 2 teams to get there. One of those, USC, finished 10th in the league and already lost in the tournament. So, it's not impossible to jump them.

The other is Alabama. They have as many SEC wins as we do and they have a better RPI. So, the more they win the less likely it is that we surpass them in the pecking order.

They're pushing the Florida/TAMU game to tomorrow. So that changes things again.

Let us know when they decide game time, got to go bill some hours (😩) but I will check back in

Spahn and Sain and Pray for Rain

First we’ll use Spahn, then we’ll use Sain,
Then an off day, followed by rain.

Back will come Spahn, followed by Sain,
And followed, we hope, by two days of rain.

Given our pitching situation, I’ll take Harney and Hazelwood and not fret over rhyming.

Go Cats! (Go Braves!)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT