ADVERTISEMENT

SEC announces new preseason football practice schedule

It will be interesting to see how coaches handle it. I would think you would have to prepare for an outbreak on your team, so do you keep quarterbacks separated? Do you keep position groups separated? Football is a game of teamwork and repetition, but you would hate to see your whole offensive line wiped out by the virus or it go through the quarterback room and you lose five quarterbacks and then you have to use a wide receiver as a quarterback (wait, we have experience with that, lol). I just wonder how coaches will handle that dynamic?

If I were calling the shots, the weight room and other common areas would get the most attention. Surely, with the size, they can social-distance and disinfect, repeatedly.

As to team groups, I might split into 3 groups for QB’s and receivers. If one QB goes down, his group might be out, but maybe not all QB’s.

If I were calling the shots, the weight room and other common areas would get the most attention. Surely, with the size, they can social-distance and disinfect, repeatedly.

As to team groups, I might split into 3 groups for QB’s and receivers. If one QB goes down, his group might be out, but maybe not all QB’s.
Yeah, being in shape and fit I would think is priority 1. Its much easier to get injured if youre not at 100% conditioning. Theoretically these guys should have the playbooks under wraps by now anyway.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

To get any timing, your top QB's need to practice with every receiver. So the three groups would need to change every day imo - which means they aren't staying separate.

I will also be interested to see how the SEC handles the outbreak. If 5 Vanderbilt starters go down, is it just bad luck? If 5 Alabama starters go down the week before the LSU game, is the game cancelled or postponed? I wonder what their protocol will be or even if they will have a protocol?

Here are some things being reported about the season that our staff is hearing. Testing will start 72 hours before the games, it will be done by 3rd parties. Nothing said about how many positives before cancellation of game. No more than 20k in a stadium with 3k being students. Top donors are to be limited to 4 tickets, everyone else 2. Most likely won't be your regular seats. Visiting teams will get 500 tickets with half going to player parents. This is suppose to be conference wide. The schedule was suppose to be released but UF and Bama whined so much it is being reconsidered, so 21 and 22 rotation teams must have been added. Of course this is all subject to change but I think it is in line with what most were accepting, other than tickets maybe being available for regular fans.

Once they start there is no way to postpone a game mid-season. I dare say if you can't play you would forfeit.
Once it begins I would try my darnedest to keep the kids corralled and close to home. Any bye week would be a bad scene for the covid risks.

ADVERTISEMENT