ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Hjelle's first pro outing

It really isn't bad. Kid got one inning and gave up a run. His team took the lead back the next half inning and yet they pulled him. New pitcher gave up a home run to the first and third hitters he faced and Hjelle's team ended up losing 3-2. Not sure why they pulled a starter after one inning where he gave up just one run.

It really isn't bad. Kid got one inning and gave up a run. His team took the lead back the next half inning and yet they pulled him. New pitcher gave up a home run to the first and third hitters he faced and Hjelle's team ended up losing 3-2. Not sure why they pulled a starter after one inning where he gave up just one run.

No you are right. They should have stuck with him. "A" ball is about developing players, not wins and losses. I wonder if there is some other reason he was yanked that isn't reflected in the box score.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Probably yanked because it was his first pro start shortly removed from a college season. I’m sure he was on a very low pitch count just to see how he fares. They don’t want him coming in and throwing 70-80 pitches right out of the chute. I’m sure his leash will get longer and longer with each outing.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Probably yanked because it was his first pro start shortly removed from a college season. I’m sure he was on a very low pitch count just to see how he fares. They don’t want him coming in and throwing 70-80 pitches right out of the chute. I’m sure his leash will get longer and longer with each outing.

No need to start him if that's the case. Makes more sense to use him as a reliever still, not a huge deal either way.

No you are right. They should have stuck with him. "A" ball is about developing players, not wins and losses. I wonder if there is some other reason he was yanked that isn't reflected in the box score.

If you try and use box scores as a benchmark for a prospect's progress, you are going to remain confused.

Looks like Hjelle only pitched one inning in another start recently. This one a scoreless inning.

Reactions: RogerIndy
He is still pitching 2 innings or less at a time. Also, Lewis hasn't pitched at all and Hakke has only pitched once. I am starting to worry about all three of them.

Wouldn't worry about Hjelle. Lewis and Haake are different matters, but it could just be precautionary for all three. Not wearing out their arms, or just working behind the scenes.

He is still pitching 2 innings or less at a time. Also, Lewis hasn't pitched at all and Hakke has only pitched once. I am starting to worry about all three of them.

Given the number of pitches college pitchers throw in the spring (age old problem in college baseball), its not unusual for teams to nurse those draftees along the first summer.

ADVERTISEMENT