ADVERTISEMENT

SDS Updated Spring Game Attendance for SEC Schools

37K is extremely respectable for a Friday evening spring game - I think that crowd may rank 2nd or 3rd all time for a spring game. I'm not physically able to attend any game right now but I'm grateful for all our die hard fans that made the effort to show up and support our team and send a message to all those great recruits that were here.

GO BBN!

37,172 was the attendance number posted in a KSR article. I believe that was the number of tickets that were given out, not necessarily the number of people there. I've seen guesstimates on this board of 20 - 25 thousand. I wasn't there so I can't say and will just trust Matt Jones on this one. [winking]

Peace

No way we had almost 40k there. 25k seemed right to me.....I was on the "home" sideline. Lower level was probably 85-90% full at its peak. There were no people in the opposite upper deck. Only way we had 40k was if there was a half full upper deck above me that I couldn't see.

on the tv, it looked like the stadium was less than half full. That could still be 30,000 or so.

37,172 was the attendance number posted in a KSR article. I believe that was the number of tickets that were given out, not necessarily the number of people there. I've seen guesstimates on this board of 20 - 25 thousand. I wasn't there so I can't say and will just trust Matt Jones on this one. [winking]

Mr Card. Even at 22,500 the above relative ranking doesn't change

I think they distributed a lot of tix that went unused by folks for one reason or another. I too put peak # of seats occupied at less than 30k. Still, a nice crowd for a scrimmage, anything but embarrassing.

Reactions: Smashcat
Still a nice crowd no matter what. I would bet the other teams went by ticket count too instead of people in the seats. So I don't mind one bit. It still says a lot about our football passion and how our program is progressing.

Reactions: jauk11

Peace

Ok, thanks. I think I speak for everyone when I say, that we were all on pins and needles waiting on a cards fans approval.:rolleyes:

Saturday Down South‏Verified account@SDS 2m2 minutes ago
Updated #SEC spring attendance:
S Carolina 12,345
UF 48,000
Ole Miss 8,000
Auburn 46,331
TAMU 21,000
Miss State 16,630
UK 37,172
MIZ 16,457

UK, UF, AU have respectful to good attendance for a spring game at over 50% capacity. Miss. State and Miz aren't awful, but A&M with about 20% Ole Miss and USC with about 20% should be embarassing and none of them were on Easter weekend. A&M has nearly 60k students. USC has filled their stadium for regular season games forever, even every game in a 23 game losing streak. I guess OM is a little down because of the pending doom, maybe Hugh should challenge people with knowledge of OM wrong doing to let it be known. I know Richt was one who turned him in, supposely Saban was the other.

I know some think OM is getting treated unfairly, but Laremy Tunsil already had his roommates for Athens, told the coaches and all the recruits he was coming. Had never been to OM until two weekends before signing day, then when our coaches went for final inhome, were met by a group of friends on the porch decked out in OM gear that they weren't taking any visits. They wouldn't even pick up the phone to call and cancel or answer calls. As it turns out it worked out the best for us, he didn't embarass us on national tv draft night. One the other hand, we recruit alot of kids head to head with Bama, win our share, maybe over half of all of them except for the kids from Alabama, so I don't think they are cheating right now, that incidental meeting was against the rules, but how much different is it than skype which isn't? Auburn on the other hand is as dirty as anyone, below average education, in the middle of no where. If it weren't for kids from Florida, Georgia and Alabama who couldn't get into UGA, UF GT, FSU and Bama, they would have an enrollment of about 5K. UAB has a higher academic reputation.

South Carolina was low because both men's and women's teams were in their respective final fours in Texas and Arizona. We had a lot of fans that attended both.

South Carolina was low because both men's and women's teams were in their respective final fours in Texas and Arizona. We had a lot of fans that attended both.
Makes sense but appreciate USC helping UK on this one.[winking]

TAMU and USC have to be disappointed in their Spring game attendance.
I attended the UK game and guessed attendance at 20K max. With zero or near zero charge for the ticket and ideal weather I was expecting a better turnout. It seems fans are just exploring other options for their time.

37K is extremely respectable for a Friday evening spring game - I think that crowd may rank 2nd or 3rd all time for a spring game. I'm not physically able to attend any game right now but I'm grateful for all our die hard fans that made the effort to show up and support our team and send a message to all those great recruits that were here.

GO BBN!
It was a great crowd for UK, but it wasn't anywhere 37K, but it was 20-25K....we had a great time.

Last edited:

Peace

Forget the actual attendance, too many liars out there to make much sense out of it. Let's look at the numbers that might have some credibility, the number of tickets that the fans gobbled up, which at least showed that most of them had some interest in actually going. Using those numbers UK had two to three times the tickets out as the SEC teams playing so far, only Auburn and Florida with quite a bit more------and we all know Aubirm lies and exaggerates about everything--------similar to City College, and we heat them almost three to one in this race, not a cliffhanger like the football victory.

LOL

Forget the actual attendance, too many liars out there to make much sense out of it. Let's look at the numbers that might have some credibility, the number of tickets that the fans gobbled up, which at least showed that most of them had some interest in actually going. Using those numbers UK had two to three times the tickets out as the SEC teams playing so far, only Auburn and Florida with quite a bit more------and we all know Aubirm lies and exaggerates about everything--------similar to City College, and we heat them almost three to one in this race, not a cliffhanger like the football victory.

LOL
Was there...lower bowl holds 32k...6 -7k more would have filled it so I'm saying 25k easily. Upper seating was not open.

Was there...lower bowl holds 32k...6 -7k more would have filled it so I'm saying 25k easily. Upper seating was not open.

From the other guesses that sounds about right, and I wouldn't be surprised if taking about two thirds of the other announced attendance figures wouldn't be pretty accurate also, so I think we had a very good attendance compared to most of our competition.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

GO BBN!
Hey D I hope your health gets better. I am very sorry to hear you are unable to enjoy the spring game. I'm there with you this year as I have had the flu for over three weeks now.

Reactions: Deeeefense
I thought 20-25K when I saw it on TV. And I was fine with that. I got held up at work and was just too tired after my day to drive over. But I'm thankful for the fans that did.

Best part was we came out of it injury free (nothing major), and looked like a football team even with some key pieces held out. That bodes well going into the summer.

For a Good Friday and start of the Easter weekend those our fantastic numbers for our program. Someday it may be a common thing to fill it up for a spring game. It could happen

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Thing that sticks out to me is Ole Miss is just 8K

Could it be they know it could be ugly this year?

As for U.K., we had a good crowd. Actual number is for academic debate only.

Reactions: mrschwump
Thing that sticks out to me is Ole Miss is just 8K

Could it be they know it could be ugly this year?

As for U.K., we had a good crowd. Actual number is for academic debate only.

I think you are underestimating Ole Miss's football team. The 17 team is not going to be affected much by all of this, they had a pretty bad recruiting year in the 17 cycle, but their 14, 15 and 16 classes were 21, 19 and 8. They have some talent, a very mobile qb with a good arm they pulled the RS off last year to try and salvage the season after Kelly was hurt. If Hugh Freeze can recapture the team they are very capable of beating anyone, at this point taking them lightly wouldn't be a good idea. If he can't regain the team then they will be a mess, like they were at the end of the season. But the big thing is none of the better players have bailed on them and are hanging with them and they are a talented team.

Reactions: Rockford and TNTUK

Peace

I was there and I was guessing somewhere between 20-25 thousand. But, I probably am a bad guesser according to UK Athletics.

Not sure when you saw that, but I don't think he was wild about City College expanding either, and while CWs renovation did help recruiting a great deal (think no more 15 year old "recruiting room") the main thing it accomplished was mitch's main objective-------more money-------and it did that in large part by putting thousands of fans out on the street. And I still think recruits notice the seating capacity, but while we are still ahead of Vandy I don't think the STATE UNIVERSITY will have the largest capacity in the state much longer.

I don't get it why people don't understand these numbers come from the tickets given away. Short of having someone count every swinging dick that walks thru the turnstiles it's the only way to keep count. The actual numbers don't matter, it was a good crowd for UK. Simple.
Naturally, they could do a turnstile count but they don't. FWIW, the notion of "issuing tickets" to the spring game was a brilliant marketing move. It adds a sense of importance and exclusivity to the game. IIRC, the first year they did it it was a HUGE success in terms of getting butts in the stands. I really believe they pushed 50,000 that year.

But there is a difference between tickets handed out and actual attendance. Since the first year they have done this I have had multiple fans asking me if I wanted a couple of their "extras". But, no matter what, I would say a 20,000 to 25,000 count is a good turnout. Definitely topped the Cards R/W attendance.

I remember when WildCard was on here spouting off that there was no way UK could do a stadium renovation. Dude is a tool.
Not a tool but an engineer with some experience in construction. What I said was they probably could have done the same thing with 50% less seat loss.

Your other post indicates your complete ignorance on the subject of athletic finances and deserves no comment.

Peace

Not a tool but an engineer with some experience in construction. What I said was they probably could have done the same thing with 50% less seat loss.

Your other post indicates your complete ignorance on the subject of athletic finances and deserves no comment.

Peace

False, you are now lying. You repeatedly argued that UK could not and would not get the funding to renovate the stadium. You droned on about it in every thread discussing the topic before UK made the announcement and laid out the plans.

You are apparently the ignorant one as the state of Kentucky is now bailing your sorry scumbag program out.

I don't get it why people don't understand these numbers come from the tickets given away. Short of having someone count every swinging dick that walks thru the turnstiles it's the only way to keep count. The actual numbers don't matter, it was a good crowd for UK. Simple.
So women don't count if they count whose coming through the turnstiles? LOL. Commonwealth doesn't have turnstiles and they do scan every ticket that comes in the gate.

The Mark Twain corollary: "There are lies, damn lies, and sporting event attendance numbers... (And thinly-veiled condescending remarks from trolls...)"

Got that right. 37,000+ is a good turn out for UK...as is 20-25K. Beats 5000 when you were expecting 14000.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If you only count the sds...actual attendance about 13k:football::football:[banana][banana][roll]

ADVERTISEMENT