ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Padgett to Mississippi State as special assistant to new coach

assistant-to-the-5b5a1b.jpg

Glad to see him resurface at Mississippi State. I was hoping he would have lead Samford back to the NCAA Tournament when he was the head coach but maybe he will get another chance elsewhere down the road.

Happy for Padgett, hope he does well.

Regarding Miss St, I think they made a mistake firing Ben Howland. Miss St hasn't been a world beater under Howland, but they HAVE been competitive in an ever-improving SEC. I don't know much about Chris Jans, other than he was the head coach for several years at New Mexico State and had some success, but I don't think he's going to be able to improve on what Howland accomplished there. I know people hate to face facts sometimes, but Miss St is not a great basketball school. Starkville, MS isn't exactly the mecca of college basketball. It may be near the opposite. The biggest selling point for recruits who go there is that they get to play in the SEC and lose to teams like Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, and etc. I don't think they appreciate what Howland gave them. He kept them competitive and gave them a chance to have a really good season every once in a while, and he stayed in a place that never got any benefit of the doubt from the NCAA-T committee. He won 20 games for 3 straight seasons there, from 2017-18 to 2019-20. His teams always seemed to overachieve and they often upset higher ranked teams. They may become an "also-ran" as they once were in the league.

Regarding Miss St, I think they made a mistake firing Ben Howland. Miss St hasn't been a world beater under Howland, but they HAVE been competitive in an ever-improving SEC. I don't know much about Chris Jans, other than he was the head coach for several years at New Mexico State and had some success, but I don't think he's going to be able to improve on what Howland accomplished there. I know people hate to face facts sometimes, but Miss St is not a great basketball school. Starkville, MS isn't exactly the mecca of college basketball. It may be near the opposite. The biggest selling point for recruits who go there is that they get to play in the SEC and lose to teams like Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, and etc. I don't think they appreciate what Howland gave them. He kept them competitive and gave them a chance to have a really good season every once in a while, and he stayed in a place that never got any benefit of the doubt from the NCAA-T committee. He won 20 games for 3 straight seasons there, from 2017-18 to 2019-20. His teams always seemed to overachieve and they often upset higher ranked teams. They may become an "also-ran" as they once were in the league.

I guess I don’t understand why some are so content with underachieving around here. Mississippi State is trying to win. They’re not in this for a 20 win season which is rather meaningless today. And regardless of what we think about them they are considered the “basketball school” of Mississippi. They’ve got some success and are worlds better than Ole Miss. They want to try and get back to a final four and don’t think Howland is the guy because he’s obviously not.

I think too that Howland is done being what his name Recognition suggest. We think Calipari coaches in the dark ages but he’s modern compared to Howland. I don’t see Howland getting another job either, maybe a small mid major where he’s from out west or something. This was it for him.

I would be doing the same thing they’re doing. If a coach isn’t cutting it get rid of him and go in a new direction. The objective should be to win a championship or make a final four. Howland isn’t doing that. Take what he gave and try to go higher. I think it makes perfect sense for them to move on.

Only one NCAA appearance for Howland at MSU. They might not do better with Jans, but I'm sure they expected a FF coach like Howland to do better than that.

I guess I don’t understand why some are so content with underachieving around here. Mississippi State is trying to win. They’re not in this for a 20 win season which is rather meaningless today. And regardless of what we think about them they are considered the “basketball school” of Mississippi. They’ve got some success and are worlds better than Ole Miss. They want to try and get back to a final four and don’t think Howland is the guy because he’s obviously not.

I think too that Howland is done being what his name Recognition suggest. We think Calipari coaches in the dark ages but he’s modern compared to Howland. I don’t see Howland getting another job either, maybe a small mid major where he’s from out west or something. This was it for him.

I would be doing the same thing they’re doing. If a coach isn’t cutting it get rid of him and go in a new direction. The objective should be to win a championship or make a final four. Howland isn’t doing that. Take what he gave and try to go higher. I think it makes perfect sense for them to move on.
I don't blame them for wanting to be better. I applaud them for that, in fact. I just don't think they're going to do any better than Howland. I may be wrong, of course, but that's my opinion.

Reactions: Gromcat
Only one NCAA appearance for Howland at MSU. They might not do better with Jans, but I'm sure they expected a FF coach like Howland to do better than that.
Yes, you take a guy who made 2 Sweet 16s at Pitt and 3 Final Fours (and a title game) at UCLA and he goes to Miss St and is only able to make the NCAA-T 1 time in 7 years. What does that tell you? Miss St isn't going to be a great basketball school. Even when they're decent, the improving SEC is going to make them look bad. Last season is a prime example. They go 9-3 in the non-conference, which isn't bad, but then they hit SEC play and finish 8-10 and wind up 18-16 on the season. Part of that isn't on the coach. Part of it is just being Miss St.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT