ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew’s HC record…

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Here are the facts, without any opinion.

Scott Drew has been a head coach 22 years.

* 10 years his teams did not play in the NCAA tournament.

* 3 years his teams lost in round of 64

* 4 years lost in round of 32 (that’s 17 years out of 22 not advancing past round of 32.)

* 2 years his team lost in the Sweet 16

* 2 years his teams lost in the Elite Eight

* 1 year won championship.

Like I say, just the facts.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I believe he is Mitch’s and he’s the one in charge.

* At a program that was wiped out by the ncaa for the coach being part of cover ups and murders. Baylor is probably the most impressive program build, maybe in the history of college basketball / sports in general. He’d likely have two titles today if not for covid.

All of the bad numbers, it’s Baylor basketball in Waco Texas. It’s the good years that would more than likely translate to UK.

And we get to win immediately with him, so we’d probably keep our all time wins. It’s safe, and if we don’t really like it down the road, he’s not going to do terrible so we’d be in a good place.

I think Drew will have a championship somewhere in years 1-5. And he kills it in the portal, he retains players, and recruits elite freshman. He just now beat out Duke and Kentucky for edgecombe, at BAYLOR. He’s a great X’s and O’s guy. I think some of you aren’t thinking about this the right way.

It’s BAYLOR. One of, if not the worst name in college basketball.

* 4 years lost in round of 32 (that’s 17 years out of 22 not advancing past round of 32.)

But...but...but he took over a program in shambles.

And he was at Baylor...there is another fact. They have winning percentage of 51% since 1906.

He won a title there.

Just want to state facts.

Who cares? Cal took a big giant dump all over this program the last five years. He burned every bridge imaginable while putting up the worst season in UK history, followed by the two worst tournament losses in our history. All the while employing lazy POS losers like Bruiser Flint, constantly disrespecting the fans, and acting like a holier-than-though ASS HAT.

Is Drew my first choice? Hell freakin no. Is he 100x better than Crapipari? Hell freakin yes.

The fallacy here is thinking he won't be better here, with better facilities, money, image, and most all resources in general. There is zero coach out there to hire with a markedly better record than Cal over the last 10/15 years. If you want to only look at the last 4 then sure. But you didn't with Drew. I'll take the opinions of people who know basketball that it would be a great hire over a lot of random stats to pull. Obviously no guarantee, if hired, he would succeed at all, but it's far from a bad hire.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I believe he is Mitch’s and he’s the one in charge.
Then Mitch needs to take the train outta here too and go to whatever bible study he needs to attend to wash him clean and make him capable of being the AD he needs to be for this university and to make an actual BUSINESS decision instead of some holier than thou, I want "my kinda guy" bullshit. He doesn't get paid for his moral highground. He gets paid to make the BEST decision for the University of Kentucky's athletics program.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Drew would've won more games than Cal with Cal's players, but he won't get those players. It's a push.

Who cares? Cal took a big giant dump all over this program the last five years. He burned every bridge imaginable while putting up the worst season in UK history, followed by the two worst tournament losses in our history. All the while employing lazy POS losers like Bruiser Flint, constantly disrespecting the fans, and acting like a holier-than-though ASS HAT.

Is Drew my first choice? Hell freakin no. Is he 100x better than Crapipari? Hell freakin yes.

I'd argue last 4 years, although Evansville in 2019-2020 was a sign of things to come. Good season and team overall though. Dam covid. I agree overall though.

1) Drew usually had 'guys'
2) Drew will be able to get anyone he wants here
3) in regard to those facts... The reality is, there is not a single active coach out there (except Self) with a better record

Just the facts in John Calipari without any opinion:

- John Calipari has been a head coach for 32 years

- 8 years his teams did not make it to the NCAA Tournament

- 3 years his teams lost in the round of 64

- 5 years he lost in the round of 32 (that’s 16 out of 32 years his teams did not make it out of the first weekend)

- 3 times his team lost in the Sweet 16

- 6 times his team lost in the Elite Eight

- 3 times his teams lost in the Final Four

- 2 times his teams lost in the title game

- 1 year win championship

I know the counter argument is how many of those years was he at UK.

He doesn't excite me one bit actually it will be a huge let down for me if it's him.

I will give the man a chance though.
This is where I'm at too.

It was time for Cal to move on, but Drew is a huge disappointment, and doesn't excite me one bit.

If he is indeed the hire, I'll be 100% rooting for him to prove me wrong though.

Drew would've won more games than Cal with Cal's players, but he won't get those players. It's a push.

He recruits the portal better and just beat Duke and Kentucky for a top 5 player. There’s no push, Calipari isn’t on Drew’s level today. Not close. I think some really have not caught on to how bad Calipari is for a college program.

Also for his Kansas record, we all know the BIG12 doesn’t allow Kansas to falter in that conference and again….

Its Kansas VS BAYLOR.

Last edited:

Drew really exploded as a coach once the transfer portal became a common thing. He seems to know how to construct rosters and how to coach in the modern era.

He also had a championship caliber team the year the tournament was cancelled, not a “woulda, coulda, shoulda, maybe-a” team like Cal had that year when people like to use that cancelled tourney as a free pass for Cal.

I actually strongly prefer Drew to Donovan, because for one, Donovan can’t bring his players with him, and for two, Donovan isn’t a proven product in this era of coaching college.

Donovan is higher ceiling, but also higher risk.

I know the counter argument is how many of those years was he at UK.

He doesn't excite me one bit actually it will be a huge let down for me if it's him.

I will give the man a chance though.

As hard as the SEC is going to be, it would’ve been nice to snag one of those coaches instead of having to play them twice. I’m expecting not great results but not fireable results either just how MB likes em.

Reactions: permdaddy
He also had to rebuild a program that was basically a dumpster fire because of a murder investigation. He isn’t the first choice but acting like Kentucky is taking a bum off the street is crazy
Drew had Baylor in the E8 by 2010. Then again in 2012. Then, over the last 13 tournaments, they have been past the sw16 once. And they have only made 2 other sw16s in that time frame. In the last 5 tournaments, Baylor has been past the 2nd rd once.

He has never won the Big 12 Tournament. However, Missouri won twice during that time, Oklahoma St won a couple, Iowa State won 5, TX won 2, and KU won a bunch. WVU and Huggins made more conference tournament finals.

He won the big 12 regular season twice, but both times it was a tie.

Scott Drew is a bad hire. Granted, I did tell you this morning it was who it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2atTech
Id like him more if he could bring Missi, Edgecombe, and Nunn with him. If he could bring Jalen Bridges then it would be even better than that

Reactions: cathead64

Those are not just the facts. Those are “some” facts worded in the most negative way possible.

Reactions: RaginRondo
Drew had Baylor in the E8 by 2010. Then again in 2012. Then, over the last 13 tournaments je has been past the sw16 once. And he has only made 2 other sw16s in that time frame. In the last 5 tournaments, Baylor has been past the 2nd rd once.

He has never was the Big 12 Tournament. However, Missouri won twice during that time, Oklahoma St won a couple, Iowa State won 5, TX won 2 and KU won a bunch. WVU and Huggins made more conference tournament finals.

He won the big 12 regular seasok twice, but both times it was a tie.

Scott Drew is a bad hire. Granted, I did tell you this morning it was who it would be.
If it ain’t Hurley, you can pick apart every potential hire at this point.

If it ain’t Hurley, you can pick apart every potential hire at this point.
That's the point of this though. Why wouldn't you pick their resume apart.

Drew is just a very disappointing hire. I'm not sold on Oats yet, but he would have been better. I would honestly rather go for Beard, Pearl, Golden or Pope over Drew. Even Shaka Smart.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
That's the point of this though. Why wouldn't you pick their resume apart.

Drew is just a very disappointing hire. I'm not sold on Oats yet, but he would have been better. I would honestly rather go for Beard, Pearl, Golden or Pope over Drew. Even Shaka Smart.

If that’s how you think, then you are vastly overrating the Baylor Bears basketball program. To say you’d take Pope and Shaka over Drew pretty much ends the argument you’re making. It’s just totally out of the realm of reality.

Although; I’m fairly sure you’re trolling, but if you want to keep it on the low, you gotta be more believable than that 😉

What has pope & Shaka smart proven that Drew hasn’t?
Pope hasn't done shit, but I would still prefer to give him a shot over Drew. He is at least connected to UK. He was also at BYU, so I wouldn’t expect a stellar resume.

Smart has a F4 at VCU, won the big east last year with the future NC also in that conference, and they were a sw16 team this year. They have improved their tournament results each year he has been at Marquette. I would give him a shot over Drew.

Drew has been past the 2nd rd once in the last 5 years.
If that’s how you think, then you are vastly overrating the Baylor Bears basketball program. To say you’d take Pope and Shaka over Drew pretty much ends the argument you’re making. It’s just totally out of the realm of reality.

Although; I’m fairly sure you’re trolling, but if you want to keep it on the low, you gotta be more believable than that 😉
How am I overrating Baylor? Big 12 conference is a P5. They are in talent rich TX. They have very wealthy donors and are a wealthy school. They have invested heavily in the program since they hired him. He has recruited fairly well. I get they were a mess in 2003-2004 due to a murder, but by 2010 and 2012 they were in the E8. Then they can only manage to get past the 2nd rd three times in the last 11 tournaments?

Are you one of those people that rationalize people presenting facts by calling it trolling?

• Haha
Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT