ADVERTISEMENT

School shooting at Marshall County

Between that and the police asking parents to stay away from the school
That's common lockdown procedure at schools. The don't want more people to be there than necessary, plus if there was possibly someone still at large it would be dangerous for everyone.

That's common lockdown procedure at schools. The don't want more people to be there than necessary, plus if there was possibly someone still at large it would be dangerous for everyone.

I get that, especially if there is a domestic/revenge motivation then no one wants any hothead parent there to escalate the situation.

But 3 helicopters? That's not common.

7 ambulances may just be that they sent all but 1 ambulances in the county to the school, but they don't send multiple helicopters as a precaution.

I get that, especially if there is a domestic/revenge motivation then no one wants any hothead parent there to escalate the situation.

But 3 helicopters? That's not common.

7 ambulances may just be that they sent all but 1 ambulances in the county to the school, but they don't send multiple helicopters as a precaution.
True. Hopefully it's just being overcautious.

Had some family just post to Facebook that our cousins got out safe. Minor injury getting out the window(which was odd unless in the same area) but they were safe.

We visit down there every year, and I never get the feel from anyone that those kind of people would be in that area to do this sort of thing.

So I wonder what kind of back story there will be on the shooter/s.

The evil in these places. Makes homeschooling and private school a must for some parents. When have you heard of a shooting at a private school?

Had some family just post to Facebook that our cousins got out safe. Minor injury getting out the window(which was odd unless in the same area) but they were safe.

We visit down there every year, and I never get the feel from anyone that those kind of people would be in that area to do this sort of thing.

So I wonder what kind of back story there will be on the shooter/s.

A boy on my son's baseball team was hit by a ricochet there today, but not a life threatening injury.

I graduated from Heath HS in 1986 and I still have a hard time believing that shooting happened back in 1997 at my school.

The HHS shooter, Michael Carneal, attended the church that I also belong. His father is an attorney and his mother was a stay at home mom.

I believe his sister was a valedictorian.

He was 14 at the time and will be up for parole in five years.

There were plenty of stories, but none of them made sense to me then and still don't today.

Reactions: -BBH-
A boy on my son's baseball team was hit by a ricochet there today, but not a life threatening injury.

I graduated from Heath HS in 1986 and I still have a hard time believing that shooting happened back in 1997 at my school.

The HHS shooter, Michael Carneal, attended the church that I also belong. His father is an attorney and his mother was a stay at home mom.

I believe his sister was a valedictorian.

He was 14 at the time and will be up for parole in five years.

There were plenty of stories, but none of them made sense to me then and still don't today.
First Baptist???

Yeah, that's probably too much of my personal information on an anonymous message board.

But it just happened too close to home today.

The Carneal family were not baptist.

^
The world has changed so much, and not all for the better, when I was 15, I am not certain I had ever even fired a gun, much less thought about taking one to school and shooting the place up. Honestly have no idea at all what has happened to make violence so seemingly random, although weirdly enough, a lot of violent crimes have actually decreased over the last 20 years or so, but we still have a hell of a lot of shootings, or at least it seems that way to me.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
^
The world has changed so much, and not all for the better, when I was 15, I am not certain I had ever even fired a gun, much less thought about taking one to school and shooting the place up. Honestly have no idea at all what has happened to make violence so seemingly random, although weirdly enough, a lot of violent crimes have actually decreased over the last 20 years or so, but we still have a hell of a lot of shootings, or at least it seems that way to me.

Video games...

What a tragedy. I am mostly of the opinion that any one who shoots up any place can go f*** themselves but a 15 year old who did this?

What meaninglessness must this kid have known to do this?

Awful.

Reactions: Bill Derington
As worthless as Topix is, there are times when you may want to look.

There waa a hit list that was posted last school year.

Last edited:
People always get sensitive about video games. I don’t think you can deny that our video games are pretty messed up and violent and have desensitized people to violence. No, that does not mean every person who plays games is going to do that. But to someone who is mentally effed? Yeah, I think it’s a factor. Weird that most of school shooters are gamers and on psych meds?

School shootings before the 90s were very rare. If not our media and glorification of shooters with 24/7 coverage (Oregon comm college shooter cited this in a manifesto a few years ago) I’d love to hear what theory you have for an increase in school shootings. It’s certainly not guns. We had those forever.

I'm guessing a combination of untreated mental illness and access to guns. Sad.
The more this happens, the more I agree with the idea that the blame, and criminal punishment, belongs to the guardian that allowed a 15 year old access to the gun.
I'm also agreeing with the notion that the social stigma of mental illness needs to be removed so maybe these kids will talk about things before this happens again.

Reactions: JDHoss and stevo51
Apparently my family is friends with the family of a kid that was shot and the bullet went through his cheek and ear but survived and is waiting on swelling to go down To have surgery.

Unreal and several in the family down there are understandably shook up.

My mom was down there this week to trying to help settle an estate dispute in the family.

People always get sensitive about video games. I don’t think you can deny that our video games are pretty messed up and violent and have desensitized people to violence. No, that does not mean every person who plays games is going to do that. But to someone who is mentally effed? Yeah, I think it’s a factor. Weird that most of school shooters are gamers and on psych meds?

School shootings before the 90s were very rare. If not our media and glorification of shooters with 24/7 coverage (Oregon comm college shooter cited this in a manifesto a few years ago) I’d love to hear what theory you have for an increase in school shootings. It’s certainly not guns. We had those forever.

I'll throw out a theory that bullying is more severe than it was when we were kids. Especially now.

I'm an 80s kid/90s teen. If someone was effing with me at school, I could go home and the BS would end for that day. Now, the bullying can continue 24/7 thanks to social media and cell phones. I'd assume, given today's social media culture if you've ever read a comments section on a political story, the pile on/mob mentality is worse now than it was then.

Hate it for the victims and their families, but at this point, all we can really do is hope it doesn't happen to our loved ones.

These kids are doing it because of the psyche meds. A side effect of these poisons are delusions themselves.

Sure, they help some times and some people entirely on accident (drugs developed by accident). But you can't mess with the mind without consequence, be it alcohol or drugs or prescribed.

Mass school shootings blew up after this. The drugs being prescribed.

With that said, I have seen people stand in an arcade and kill hundreds of people on screen. That has to affect some.

Mass school shootings blew up after this. The drugs being prescribed.

With that said, I have seen people stand in an arcade and kill hundreds of people on screen. That has to affect some.
I've been that kid and a friend to those kids and the only people they want to shoot are people like you who think seeing pixels explode increases your proclivity for murder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT