ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Offer

trumpetcat

Junior
Nov 23, 2015
Paris, KY
twitter.com
I recently got called by THE MR TIM ALLEN (the greatest band director in KY history) and he said he wants me at Lindsey Wilson College. I was heavily considering Berea but they haven't given a verdict yet. Also MSU said they'll pay most of my way. Mr. Allen said if I do band at LWC I'll get a full ride. Not sure what to do. Overload. Any advice. (Isn't this ironic because I always talk about recruits)!

Reactions: d2atTech
I went to Lindsey Wilson and knew a few people who had "full rides" playing jv sports only to end up with 20-30k in debt when they were done.

If you do go there make sure you know where the money is coming from and if it'll be there every year because I can guarantee they're not offering a full scholarship JUST for band.

OK thanks. Still Tim Allen from what I know about him is an upfront person so I trust him. Even if it isn't a full ride if its mostly covered I'll consider it. Thanks
timallen78mug1.jpg

Does this look like someone you can trust? Go to Berea.

No the Tim Allen from Adair Co. You know the one that won 18 State Titles with Adair County and is now at LWC.

I'm with DaBoss. The only Tim Allen I've ever heard of and care about is the one from the critically acclaimed "Home Improvement." He also starred in mega blockbusters like "Christmas with the Kranks" and "The Shaggy Dog" and "Galaxy Quest" so you can get bent with this Adair County stuff.

I don't think it's going to matter where you go. You'll take a Philosophy course that will blow your mind, you'll smoke a bit of weed and date a girl named Tiffany and go through a weird phase of folk music before you get left for the manager at Sunglass Hut. So yeah, it doesn't matter where you go.

Look, I could have mocked you like your other Paddock posts but I'm being straight up with you.

I have no doubt that your first year tuition and most of, if not all of your room and board will be covered. But don't be surprised if that includes work study, academic scholarships with really high standards, or money that simply won't be there after year one.

Then again it's been a few years since my sister and I have been there so things could have changed.

Question is, what do you want to do after school and does Lindsey Wilson have the program that you want? Tim Allen is great and all, but folks move on to bigger and better positions all the time, so don't just go there because he is there.

It's just I feel the KY Tim Allen deserves more respect. I'm a band geek so I know all about this stuff. Im considering LWC, MSU, and Berea. They told me at LWC that with my ACT, GPA, plus AP classes and making All State Band I should be virtually free. Literally I just want some advice as a HS senior. I didn't intend this thread to be about hate or comedy. This was just me wanting some advice. So if you have that please post if not...

virtually free

Funny how it went from full ride to virtually free. You've been given advice that has been backed up from other Lindsey Wilson alumnus, it's just not the advice you want to hear. Sounds like you've already made your mind up because of TIM ALLEN!!!!111!! OMG LOLZ :cool2:

Reactions: csrupp
I know it doesn't mean much on here, but having a big name like him is extremely enamoring and I think I overreacted. Still my original intention for this thread was to recieve advice. I'm planning on going into the medical field and I was told I could band for fun and still do Pre Med.

It's just I feel the KY Tim Allen deserves more respect. I'm a band geek so I know all about this stuff. Im considering LWC, MSU, and Berea. They told me at LWC that with my ACT, GPA, plus AP classes and making All State Band I should be virtually free. Literally I just want some advice as a HS senior. I didn't intend this thread to be about hate or comedy. This was just me wanting some advice. So if you have that please post if not...
Funky gave you some damn good advice. You need to consider what your goals are. What do you want to major in, and will that lead to the job/career that you want.

Once you figure that out, then think about the kind of college experience you would like (small college vs large university, etc...). Determine how you will pay for all of this. You said that LW would be virtually free. How free is that?

I know a woman who's son went to a small D3 school for baseball. Virtually free. Every month his mom paid the school $2000. What was free to him wasn't really that free.

If you want to play in the band, have you considered joining the Army. They have a very good band program and you could pick up other important skills.

Funky gave you some damn good advice. You need to consider what your goals are. What do you want to major in, and will that lead to the job/career that you want.

Once you figure that out, then think about the kind of college experience you would like (small college vs large university, etc...). Determine how you will pay for all of this. You said that LW would be virtually free. How free is that?

I know a woman who's son went to a small D3 school for baseball. Virtually free. Every month his mom paid the school $2000. What was free to him wasn't really that free.

If you want to play in the band, have you considered joining the Army. They have a very good band program and you could pick up other important skills.
Thank you for the advice. Although no way I could do the army.I am not that athletic.

<--- also went to LWC when the total tuition was 21k a year (no idea what it is now). Received tons of academic scholarships as well as baseball scholarship for 5 years and still had to take out about 2k worth of loans a year.

Ain't nothing "free" at Lindsey Wilson. That place is expensive and really for no reason.
Interesting one of my friends at the antique show in Lexington had two sons go to LWC and had full rides for just just having high GPA's and ACT with AP courses.

If you are in a weird/small enough bubble that a band director, at some college with the enrollment of a high school, that most people have never heard of, you should do whatever is in your power to get as far away from your current life & geographic as possible for college - in order to grow as a human being.

Holy crap.

If you really want a full ride you need to apply to be a Begley Scholar, if it's not too late. That's the only way you're truly going for free.

40091.jpg

I don't see a whole lot of room for you on the Lindsey Wilson bench, OP.

You think your gonna be playing that trumpet over the likes of Christian Talley (Columbia's Own!) or Tyler Hollingsworth? pffft.

Reactions: Pope John Wall II
Doubtful I beat those two anytime soon. Still this is what he told me. Besides he said they're alot bigger now. And he said he's low on trumpets so I'll see how it is on a visit.

Tyler Hollingsworth has the embouchure of an 8th chair cornet on his first page of Arban's, amirite?

Oh for crying out loud - it was one performance where Tyler played with his lower lip pushed forward and his mouth corners drawn down.

Yes, he had to overblow to compensate but I bet under the same circumstances your tone would be unfocused and your pitch would be bad. We all have bad days, he's been a model of successful tone production ever since.

Reactions: ymmot31
ADVERTISEMENT