ADVERTISEMENT

Schlarman OL Comment

Forgot young

OK, to err is human, but that was a pretty big forget.

I'm also curious about how our JC Redshirt transfer is coming along, a big body that was very highly regarded, not just a four star but a 5.9 four star.

Because we played 9 last season doesn't mean we had 9 ready to go the Spring before. Net, having 7/8 now & not 9 now is NBD to me.

Could it be we now have a consistent and steady stream of starting OL backed up by capable replacements from a pool of developing linemen?
This kind of progression of talent is new to all of us. We're ingrained with stress and uncertainty over two star talent outmanned and dominated in game situations.

Today, we are looking at talent beyond our wildest imagination with equally talented backups. I can hardly comprehend what I just said.

We will only improve year over year winning (for the most part) more than we lose and playing in better bowls. That a magical season when all the parts work in tandem to produce a challenge to win the SEC would be beyond my comprehension.

Why not?

Damn, Levi and SanAntonioCat, preach on.

We are getting used to some new ways of thinking.

Look at the perpetual QB controversy type threads. Arguing back and forth on who might/should start, and some folks with the audacity to suggest going back to the run happy offense of '16 . . . . against the SEC.

So we have a couple of O-linemen . . . . 4 star type recruits . . . . who MIGHT have been excluded from the O-line Coach's assessment of who is game ready? (And they might not have been excluded?#&%).

Hmmmm.

When was the last time . . . . hell, when was the last era in UK Football history that highly regarded 4 star type kids (if we actually had a couple) were not considered instant impact players when they stepped on campus?

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
This kind of progression of talent is new to all of us. We're ingrained with stress and uncertainty over two star talent outmanned and dominated in game situations.

Today, we are looking at talent beyond our wildest imagination with equally talented backups. I can hardly comprehend what I just said.

We will only improve year over year winning (for the most part) more than we lose and playing in better bowls. That a magical season when all the parts work in tandem to produce a challenge to win the SEC would be beyond my comprehension.

Why not?

To illustrate your talent statement I would like to again bring up the research I did in 2010 when we played Florida, on the road. Some fans thought we should be competitive with them when:

They had a TWO DEEP that averaged OVER a 5.9 as commits, while our STARTERS had more two stars starting than three stars, and while we had two four stars starting (both JC transfers in their first year here) they were offset by two WALKONS starting on D.

That was the great talent Joker inherited, and the talent that upset top ten USC that had 38 four star and one five star commits in the previous four years. The team that- also came within three points of upsetting NC Auburn with Superman Cam at QB.

And I repeat this because I just find that to be an unbelievable discrepancy in raw talent while a lot of fans thought our coaches should have been more competitive than they were in the SEC AND to show what an unbelievable turnaround our recruiting has taken with our new coaches-------AND the long overdue adequate support for the program.

Why not?

To illustrate your talent statement I would like to again bring up the research I did in 2010 when we played Florida, on the road. Some fans thought we should be competitive with them when:

They had a TWO DEEP that averaged OVER a 5.9 as commits, while our STARTERS had more two stars starting than three stars, and while we had two four stars starting (both JC transfers in their first year here) they were offset by two WALKONS starting on D.

That was the great talent Joker inherited, and the talent that upset top ten USC that had 38 four star and one five star commits in the previous four years. The team that- also came within three points of upsetting NC Auburn with Superman Cam at QB.

And I repeat this because I just find that to be an unbelievable discrepancy in raw talent while a lot of fans thought our coaches should have been more competitive than they were in the SEC AND to show what an unbelievable turnaround our recruiting has taken with our new coaches-------AND the long overdue adequate support for the program.
Great comments as always.

Wasn't Joker the Recruiting Coordinator for the talent he inherited?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Wasn't Joker the Recruiting Coordinator for the talent he inherited?

Yes, obviously the best recruiter that UK had, proven by the fact that Brooks made him the Recruiting Coordinator AND gave him part of his salary to keep him when there was talk of him getting a better position at some school named Bama, you probably have heard of them. Oh, by the way, he was also the RC at Florida, two top five classes in his two years there, wonder what the difference was?

Couldn't have been the available talent in state, the COMMITMENT TO FOOTBALL (or lack thereof), etc, etc, or could it have been? Joker was an excellent coach, PROVEN by taking two LATE three stars from in state, a two star JC transfer, and a FOUR POINT NINE legacy recruit, and turning them into the best receiving corp in UK history-------three of them with good NFL careers (Burton cut short by injuries just when he became a starter) and Lyons with a shot, again hampered by injuries.

NOT a good head coach apparently, and one of his biggest mistakes was firing some very good veteran coaches because he knew they didn't like to leave the city limits to recruit, but then they didn't have much to sell at the time either, did they? One picture of the "recruiting room", which all the SEC coaches had framed and readily available, was all it took to tell any recruit that the coaches telling UK was committed to FOOTBALL was a bald faced liar and not to be trusted------were the fans committed, big time (averaged ABOVE listed capacity in 07 for a team with a losing SEC record) was the athletic department, get real.. LOL, at the fans criticizing him for not fighting for top recruits, unless they were die hard fans of UK why waste your time and resources? And then home state loyalty doesn't have much place in a lot of spoiled athletes lives, not when you can never get your uniform dirty and be a part of a NC.

Of course Tee did pretty well recruiting, but then he admitted he LIED about our facilities and avoided some of them like the plague.

Don't forget all the OTHER SEC ADs recognized that FOOTBALL was the money cow and were pouring resources into it for years while UK had a recruiting budget for 25 football recruits a year LESS than for the basketball program that has EVERYTHING, with typically four or five commits a year (before Cal), Brooks worked miracles by finding AND coaching up overlooked recruits (He said 5.3 Trevathan was a four star-------as soon as he was safely signed, and he was low in his estimate)------so yeah, I guess Joker deserves a lot of ridicule, he wasn't a miracle worker like Brooks was.

Once again I would like to thank all the long time dedicated season ticket holders that had tickets in the family for generations for sacrificing them in order to FORCE the changes we have had lately. And although we did lose millions (and still are) in the process it was a big help in reviving our program, although it is hard to spend all the money the SEC generates now, and thank FOOTBALL for that.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...I think the OL play improved last year and Schlarman's unit exceeded expectations. And Schlarman has always done this rotation of OL vs. playing a set 5 guys the entire game.

But these same kids were a unit that couldn't move the chains until Gran got here and our entire philosophy changed on how to execute the offense. Gran is the biggest key to this IMO

Don't get me wrong...I think the OL play improved last year and Schlarman's unit exceeded expectations. And Schlarman has always done this rotation of OL vs. playing a set 5 guys the entire game.

But these same kids were a unit that couldn't move the chains until Gran got here and our entire philosophy changed on how to execute the offense. Gran is the biggest key to this IMO
you are completely wrong. The running game averaged almost 5 ypp but the passing game was crap until we found a QB. Schlarman's unit was better than good.

Reactions: Sidelinecat2
Yes, obviously the best recruiter that UK had, proven by the fact that Brooks made him the Recruiting Coordinator AND gave him part of his salary to keep him when there was talk of him getting a better position at some school named Bama, you probably have heard of them. Oh, by the way, he was also the RC at Florida, two top five classes in his two years there, wonder what the difference was?

Couldn't have been the available talent in state, the COMMITMENT TO FOOTBALL (or lack thereof), etc, etc, or could it have been? Joker was an excellent coach, PROVEN by taking two LATE three stars from in state, a two star JC transfer, and a FOUR POINT NINE legacy recruit, and turning them into the best receiving corp in UK history-------three of them with good NFL careers (Burton cut short by injuries just when he became a starter) and Lyons with a shot, again hampered by injuries.

NOT a good head coach apparently, and one of his biggest mistakes was firing some very good veteran coaches because he knew they didn't like to leave the city limits to recruit, but then they didn't have much to sell at the time either, did they? One picture of the "recruiting room", which all the SEC coaches had framed and readily available, was all it took to tell any recruit that the coaches telling UK was committed to FOOTBALL was a bald faced liar and not to be trusted------were the fans committed, big time (averaged ABOVE listed capacity in 07 for a team with a losing SEC record) was the athletic department, get real.. LOL, at the fans criticizing him for not fighting for top recruits, unless they were die hard fans of UK why waste your time and resources? And then home state loyalty doesn't have much place in a lot of spoiled athletes lives, not when you can never get your uniform dirty and be a part of a NC.

Of course Tee did pretty well recruiting, but then he admitted he LIED about our facilities and avoided some of them like the plague.

Don't forget all the OTHER SEC ADs recognized that FOOTBALL was the money cow and were pouring resources into it for years while UK had a recruiting budget for 25 football recruits a year LESS than for the basketball program that has EVERYTHING, with typically four or five commits a year (before Cal), Brooks worked miracles by finding AND coaching up overlooked recruits (He said 5.3 Trevathan was a four star-------as soon as he was safely signed, and he was low in his estimate)------so yeah, I guess Joker deserves a lot of ridicule, he wasn't a miracle worker like Brooks was.

Once again I would like to thank all the long time dedicated season ticket holders that had tickets in the family for generations for sacrificing them in order to FORCE the changes we have had lately. And although we did lose millions (and still are) in the process it was a big help in reviving our program, although it is hard to spend all the money the SEC generates now, and thank FOOTBALL for that.
Great read. The one thing I remember most about Joker was how he handled his firing. He was a class act all the way in that regard. But he was a much better OC than he was a HC in my humble opinion.

Yep. It's gran and hinshaw, as are all improvements on offense. We couldn't do anything till they got here. Then they arrive and take the exact same talent and turn it into a very good offense.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
Yep. It's gran and hinshaw, as are all improvements on offense. We couldn't do anything till they got here. Then they arrive and take the exact same talent and turn it into a very good offense.
I disagree. It takes a group of coaches to succeed. I love Gran and Hinshaw but Schlarman was doing a great job before they came. He just didn't have a QB and passing game. The OL can only do so much for the passing game especially when they played almost all underclassmen. Schlarman is a terrific coach.

I disagree. It takes a group of coaches to succeed. I love Gran and Hinshaw but Schlarman was doing a great job before they came. He just didn't have a QB and passing game. The OL can only do so much for the passing game especially when they played almost all underclassmen. Schlarman is a terrific coach.

Maybe he is. I just know that before gran, we couldn't run or throw or move the ball at all. After gran, we were a well oiled machine.

Had schlarman been the cause, we'd been mauling people the last few years

Freshmen never become Sophomores
Sophomores never become Juniors
Juniors never become Seniors and most importantly

NO ONE ever improves.

Position coaches all suck - only the coordinator can make things happen.

sarcasm_service_plaque-r4a8124f3c13b48d9a5ffba294a6dd4c6_ar56b_8byvr_324.jpg

Reactions: football follies
Maybe he is. I just know that before gran, we couldn't run or throw or move the ball at all. After gran, we were a well oiled machine.

Had schlarman been the cause, we'd been mauling people the last few years
We averaged almost 5 ypr in the year before Gran. We just couldn't throw the ball because we had a terrible passing game and OC. Schlarman was left with nothing on the OL but Toth and he made him into a pro center. He didn't have a QB or passing game until Gran took over.

Compelling and insightful post, juak11!!!

Has me wondering where our FB program might be today, if Todd and Barnhart had supported Coach Brooks and the FB program to the same extent that Capilouto and Barnhart have supported Coach Stoops, instead of robbing the FB program for the better part of 10 years to support their (Todd's and Barnhart's) Olympic sports agenda and their Billy Gillispie basketball fiasco.

Reactions: jauk11 and wyldecat
We averaged almost 5 ypr in the year before Gran. We just couldn't throw the ball because we had a terrible passing game and OC. Schlarman was left with nothing on the OL but Toth and he made him into a pro center. He didn't have a QB or passing game until Gran took over.

Also, I think the pass protection improved quite a bit at the time G&H got here. Maybe that was a natural evolution of player development, or maybe they had some hand in it but it's probably a combination of several things.

Compelling and insightful post, juak11!!!

Has me wondering where our FB program might be today, if Todd and Barnhart had supported Coach Brooks and the FB program to the same extent that Capilouto and Barnhart have supported Coach Stoops, instead of robbing the FB program for the better part of 10 years to support their (Todd's and Barnhart's) Olympic sports agenda and their Billy Gillispie basketball fiasco.
For at least the hundredth time, no funding was going to either university infrastructure or athletic improvements until the $1.5 billion U.K. Health Center was completed.

Reactions: Levibooty
For at least the hundredth time, no funding was going to either university infrastructure or athletic improvements until the $1.5 billion U.K. Health Center was completed.

Not sure I buy the overused "no funding was going to either university infrastructure or athletic improvements until the $1.5 billion U.K. Health Center was completed" argument. Could this fall into the category of Fake Sports News, pushed by the supporters of Todd's and Barnhart's Olympic sports agenda? :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

But ass-u-me you are correct, how about paying Coach Brooks a premium salary for turning the FB program around or making Joker Phillips the highest paid offensive coordinator in the SEC or paying the other assistant coaches in line with top SEC teams?

Guess there wasn't enough $$$ left after all of the upgrades to the Olympic sports programs! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Not sure I buy the overused "no funding was going to either university infrastructure or athletic improvements until the $1.5 billion U.K. Health Center was completed" argument. Could this fall into the category of Fake Sports News, pushed by the supporters of Todd's and Barnhart's Olympic sports agenda? :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

But ass-u-me you are correct, how about paying Coach Brooks a premium salary for turning the FB program around or making Joker Phillips the highest paid offensive coordinator in the SEC or paying the other assistant coaches in line with top SEC teams?

Guess there wasn't enough $$$ left after all of the upgrades to the Olympic sports programs! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
We had to ask for this money. What about a near 70 year old coach or joker inspires people to wanna invest in the program. Barnhart got the funding as fast as he could and the football program is the best position it has been in my lifetime. We are not city college who can skeech off the local tax payers.

Reactions: Levibooty
We had to ask for this money. What about a near 70 year old coach or joker inspires people to wanna invest in the program. Barnhart got the funding as fast as he could and the football program is the best position it has been in my lifetime. We are not city college who can skeech off the local tax payers.

"What about a near 70 year old coach or joker inspires people to wanna invest in the program." Ans: The best 4-year run since Bear Bryant!!! And the best offense, since Fran Curci!!!

Unfortunately, UK in its infinite wisdom would not allow K-fund contributions or any other contributions to be designated for a specific sport! Which means that those of us who made K-fund contributions (or would have liked to financially support the FB program with additional contributions) had (or would have had) our money squandered on Olympic sports.

"What about a near 70 year old coach or joker inspires people to wanna invest in the program." Ans: The best 4-year run since Bear Bryant!!! And the best offense, since Fran Curci!!!

Unfortunately, UK in its infinite wisdom would not allow K-fund contributions or any other contributions to be designated for a specific sport! Which means that those of us who made K-fund contributions (or would have liked to financially support the FB program with additional contributions) had (or would have had) our money squandered on Olympic sports.

That was a huge topic on here many times with fans saying they wanted to donate money to UK football but would never donate a cent as long as the AD was able to spend it as he saw fit--------because it was obvious he didn't see fit to give football even the minimum support it needed, let alone enough to compete in the SEC arms race where all the other ADs were recognizing that football is the money cow.

Yea we had 2 good years and the coach was old as dirt. I loved Brooks but he was not gonna get what Stoops has brought. Stoops is 20 years younger and has cleaned up the mess Joker made.

Reactions: RV2
ADVERTISEMENT