ADVERTISEMENT

Scangarello gone; speculation on replacement

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
UK finished the 2022 regular season with the nation's #107 offense, which was last in the SEC. There was a list of reasons, but at the end of the day our offense was Rich Scangarello's responsibility. As I have discussed on several threads, Coach Stoops needed to move quickly to dismiss Scangarello in order to send a signal for change to our players and to others on the outside who are considering UK.

John Settle is already gone. Settle was responsible for special teams, and did not get anything done on the recruiting trail.

Yenser will probably be next. That would be sensible. Just as Scangarello was directly responsible for our offense, Yenser was directly responsible for our OL. It is very important to send a signal for change to John Young, Kiyaunta Goodwin, Grant Bingham, Nik Hall, and the rest of our young linemen.

I do not believe Coach Stoops will name Edfdie Gran as the new RB coach. He will be inclined to ask his new OC to help with the RB and OL searches. Naming Gran to the position would be awkward although Gran is a capable RB coach.

I cannot predict what Coach Stoops will do, but here are some replacement possibilities that would be reasonable.

OC-

Liam Coen, LA Rams
Garrett Riley, TCU
Kendal Briles, AR
Warren Ruggiero, W Forest
Tim Beck, NC St (native of Youngstown, OH)
Willie Korn, Coastal Car
Collin Klein, KS St
Bryan Ellis, GS Southern
Mike Hartline, Auburn

RB-

Jimmy Smith, AR
Anthony Jones, TCU
Jonathon Wallace, KS
David Johnson, FL St
Justin Johnson, Baylor
Kenni Burns, MN

OL-

AJ Ricker, TCU
Will Friend, Auburn
Eric Mateos, Baylor
Herb Hand, UCF
Eman Naghavi, Tulane
John Garrison, NC St
Nick Tabacca, W Forest

Special teams-

Scott Fountain, AR
Rob Wenger, MN
Roc Bellantoni, Auburn
Wayne Lineberg, W Forest
Mark Scott, U Houston
Ronnie Wheat, Baylor
Jonathon Wallace, KS

Last edited:
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Cadillac Williams has already been announced at associate head coach at Auburn by Hugh Freeze. You can take him off the list.
Thanks. I did not believe it was realistic to think Carnell would move to another SEC school if he had a choice. But he is qualified, and he can recruit.

Whatever happens, I believe there will be more recruiting juice on our next staff.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
What ever happened to Matt Luke, the former coach at Ole Miss. Seem like he would be a good recruiter as well as position coach.

Bring back Coen as OC. Make Gran RB/ST coach.

Gran has 15 years as a ST coach in the SEC and at times ran an effective offense WHERE IT WAS ALWAYS JUST ONE GUY WAS CARRYING THE BALL AND THE OTHER TEN WERE BLOCKING.

That and he molded the top two rushers in school history.

Nope...can't put two roosters in the gen house.
Mullen understands offensive balance and tactics better than most. But he is not a recruiter, and his people skills leave a lot to be desired. I cannot see Stoops and Mullen coexisting. It would be very difficult to keep Mullen on the reservation. I posted a list of possible OC replacements in my OP on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
Brian Hartline from Ohio State would be my first call. Has not been an OC but in charge of the passing game. Young and has Power 5 experience. Known as an excellent recruiter, I am sure Stoops would need to know his philosophy, but worth a call. Dont want Mullen (too old) or NFL coach unless he has college coaching experience. Like Coen but think he will be looking to be a head coach either in NFL or college, as might Hartline. Coen’s wife did not move to Lexington last year, so he was not planning on staying. Also don’t like bringing someone back who was left UK on his own volition. It will be difficult to bring a current OC at a Power 5 school to UK unless the money is at the top of the scale. Think We have to take a chance on someone like Hartline who has great credentials and experience for a young guy. Just not been in a coordinator position. Think our freshman Wide receivers and tight ends may be excited about getting someone who has been instrumental in OSU’s success for the past several years. Maybe bring his brother in as QB Coach!

Reactions: BigTyrone
Brian Hartline from Ohio State would be my first call. Has not been an OC but in charge of the passing game. Young and has Power 5 experience. Known as an excellent recruiter, I am sure Stoops would need to know his philosophy, but worth a call. Dont want Mullen (too old) or NFL coach unless he has college coaching experience. Like Coen but think he will be looking to be a head coach either in NFL or college, as might Hartline. Coen’s wife did not move to Lexington last year, so he was not planning on staying. Also don’t like bringing someone back who was left UK on his own volition. It will be difficult to bring a current OC at a Power 5 school to UK unless the money is at the top of the scale. Think We have to take a chance on someone like Hartline who has great credentials and experience for a young guy. Just not been in a coordinator position. Think our freshman Wide receivers and tight ends may be excited about getting someone who has been instrumental in OSU’s success for the past several years. Maybe bring his brother in as QB Coach!

Well then let’s figure out how to get his wife here!!! Surely then he will return, right?

Did Liams wife not want to come here because she did not like KY or because she was pregnant and had no fam here ?
He would be my first choice
While not a candidate, I’m sure she could get pregnant in Kentucky if she chose, lots of possibilities. We’re all family here so that’s no issue. I’m not seeing a problem, maybe just me.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
Stoops needs to hire a guy that runs an exciting offense that skilled players want to play in.
And let them do their job!!!!’ Anyone who thinks he hasn’t had his hands in the play calling is nuts.
The head coach is responsible for everything and has the last call on everything. Stoops knows more about football than any of us. If Stoops decides to overrule one of his coordinators, he can do that. It does not mean Stoops screwed the pooch, and it does not make his supporters nuts. Every time Stoops has hired an offensive coordinator, he has asked the coordinator to install his own system and design the plays. Maybe Dawson and Scan failed because Stoops did not interfere enough. That would not suit your idea of Stoops, but it is just as likely.

The head coach is responsible for everything and has the last call on everything. Stoops knows more about football than any of us. If Stoops decides to overrule one of his coordinators, he can do that. It does not mean Stoops screwed the pooch, and it does not make his supporters nuts. Every time Stoops has hired an offensive coordinator, he has asked the coordinator to install his own system and design the plays. Maybe Dawson and Scan failed because Stoops did not interfere enough. That would not suit your idea of Stoops, but it is just as likely.
Well Stoops is looking for his fourth offensive coordinators in four years. He is a defensive rooted coach and no matter who the offensive coordinator has been the offense has looked pretty much the same.
Everyone says “bring back Coen”, but I think the personnel last year helped Coen a lot. I’m not sure the offense would’ve looked much different this year with Coen. Maybe he would’ve utilized guys like Brown and Robinson more, but with the horrible Oline and Levis shell shocked it might’ve looked much the same.
My impression is that Stoops has struggled with offensive coordinators since he arrived. And no matter who held the position the offense has looked very similar.
It’s my understanding that Neal Brown told several people after leaving that Stoops wouldn’t relinquish control of the offense while he was here.
Continue to worship Stoops who has had much of his success against a weak SEC east but that is changing. He’s much better than we’ve had here in a very long time. But he’s not an elite coach, and sure isn’t worth his last pay raise. The next couple of years will tell the tale on him.

Do you ever listen to what Stoops says about the way he wants the offense run? He is not shy about it

My impression is that Stoops has struggled with offensive coordinators since he arrived. And no matter who held the position the offense has looked very similar.

It is strange to see a comment like this. If that is your impression, then you do not watch the offense closely at all. No argument that Stoops is burning through a lot of offensive coordinators. It is true. Each of his coordinators installed his own system and play designs. Neal Brown was an air raid discipline. Shannon Dawson put in a spread offense similar to a west coast run and shoot and tried to add tempo. Eddie Gran slowed tempo back down, and adapted his offense to players on hand. Gran worked with Schlarman to build a physical offensive line and a dominant running game. Gran developed Benny Snell, handled the beginning of CRod's career, and made Bowden into a running quarterback. Coen arrived, brought in Levis, and moved our quarterback under center in a hybrid zone offense. Scan installed an outside zone. There are superficial similarities between Coen's and Scan's offenses, but they managed them differently. Coen designed the passing game around his slot receivers. Scan opened it up and involved his tight ends and wideouts much more. These different offenses did not look similar at all.

The head coach can call what he wants to call. He can overrule the coordinator. That does not violate any laws. It is the head coach's job. All head coaches do it. It is no less appropriate when Stoops does it than when Kirby or Saban does it. All three have defensive backgrounds. But Stoops gives lots of latitude to his coordinators. He gave Scan enough rope to hang himself. Scan designed and called his own plays, and ran tempo when he wanted to.

Reactions: JC-3 and Nuke99m
Do you ever listen to what Stoops says about the way he wants the offense run? He is not shy about it
Yes. That is a head coach's prerogative. That is not the same as installing an offensive system and designing plays. It is amazing that some of our fans fault Stoops this way for doing his job. It's all okay when we win.

Where did you get the idea that Coen’s wife was not in Lexington?

Off the Names we’ve said Coen, Hartline or Mullen. Coen for obvious reasons. Hartline would bring immediate recruiting juice but he’s never called plays so boom or bust with him and say what you want about Mullen but he’s a proven SEC play caller. He’s got it done everywhere he’s been. He’s seem like an ass tho. Personally idc if he’s an ass or not if we put up points

ADVERTISEMENT