ADVERTISEMENT

Scalpers?

wildcatcorner

Senior
Mar 16, 2004
Since UK went digital for tickets, what are the scalpers that used to be outside of Rupp doing? Are they out there with phones and tablets doing transactions? I think the white hat guy passed away not long ago, did the empire crumble?

Squatty red haired scalper with a mustache named Ducksy used to control the territory around Rupp in the 70’s.

Squatty red haired scalper with a mustache named Ducksy used to control the territory around Rupp in the 70’s.
LOL. Ducksy was not a squatty red haired scalper. He was fairly tall and thin. Most of the other guys worked for Ducksy.

I was at the coaches hotel during a final 4 in the 80’s and saw Al McGuire give Ducksy 8 sets of tix to sell. Ducksy was quite a character and SI even did an article on him.

Mobile ticketing is putting gameday ticket hustlers out of business.
Secondary ticket markets have taken over.

It was clearly one of Ducksy’s guys, then. Almost 50 years ago, lol. Sorry for the error, your greatness. May I live?

LOL. Ducksy was not a squatty red haired scalper. He was fairly tall and thin. Most of the other guys worked for Ducksy.

I was at the coaches hotel during a final 4 in the 80’s and saw Al McGuire give Ducksy 8 sets of tix to sell. Ducksy was quite a character and SI even did an article on him.
Boy we've had our characters. Ducksy, Dancin' Guy, white-blond cheerleader that's been on the squad for 18 years, any others?

Reactions: Fox2monk
For any digital tickets you buy you still need to meet in person- don't send cash hoping to get tickets- a lot of scammers out there

Had a buddy in the 80s and 90s who owned a Lexington travel agency. He would ask clients leaving on trips if they had tix (BB and FB) that he'd scalp for 50:50 share. Sweet side hustle.

Right, the squatty red haired guy you're thinking of was Mike "Red" McMenema. He died many years back after crashing his SUV into a Pizza Hut or something similar.

Reactions: GGary
Yep, email transactions. Feels shady, but it works.
We were in Chicago a few years ago. Had tickets but wanted better. I was trying to trade my tickets outside the United Center for upgraded tickets.

One of the security guards saw me and gave me the don’t do it signal.

So I didn’t. When we got up there I asked him if they were supposed to stop scalping. He said no, just don’t deal with that guy.

After we were seated another couple came in and said they had bought lower level tickets outside that were bad tickets.

Couldn’t get in. They went to the will call window and we’re able to get tickets there.

So they paid twice. And we lost the game.

• Wow
Middle 70s, I had a friend who saw every game. Even away games. (His older brother had fantastic seats at Memorial but didn't use them.) He said that there are always scalpers. Always. The secret, if you're short of cash and don't need to see every second, is to hold off buying until a couple of minutes before the scheduled start. Scalpers feast on the impatient or nervous. I can't remember which tournament games were in San Diego. He even hitched a ride out there and got decent seats cheap.

CAUTION. I didn't do this. Times and buying practices may have changed. You're getting this nearly 50 years after the fact and 2nd hand.

Middle 70s, I had a friend who saw every game. Even away games. (His older brother had fantastic seats at Memorial but didn't use them.) He said that there are always scalpers. Always. The secret, if you're short of cash and don't need to see every second, is to hold off buying until a couple of minutes before the scheduled start. Scalpers feast on the impatient or nervous. I can't remember which tournament games were in San Diego. He even hitched a ride out there and got decent seats cheap.

CAUTION. I didn't do this. Times and buying practices may have changed. You're getting this nearly 50 years after the fact and 2nd hand.
It’s still the same. And yes, last minute are cheaper. And if you’re by yourself single tickets are really cheap if the seller has a single ticket. Almost no one buys singles.

It’s scary buying them and only getting a bar code.

But I haven’t had a problem yet.

We were in Chicago a few years ago. Had tickets but wanted better. I was trying to trade my tickets outside the United Center for upgraded tickets.

One of the security guards saw me and gave me the don’t do it signal.

So I didn’t. When we got up there I asked him if they were supposed to stop scalping. He said no, just don’t deal with that guy.

After we were seated another couple came in and said they had bought lower level tickets outside that were bad tickets.

Couldn’t get in. They went to the will call window and we’re able to get tickets there.

So they paid twice. And we lost the game.
Man, that guy saved you some green. He's got some good Karma coming his way.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I scalp tickets. I just do it through Ticketmaster. I don’t do it often but for the Florida game next season I’ll make a nice little chunk. Have season tickets but will buy another 10 sets of two. We’ll be 4-0 and people will gobble them up over face.

These is a scalper on this site. He uses the site to constantly scalp tickets. Always I have extra ticket posts. One on here right now from him about the SCET.

Right, the squatty red haired guy you're thinking of was Mike "Red" McMenema. He died many years back after crashing his SUV into a Pizza Hut or something similar.
It all started with Ducksy. He would wear a sports coat and scalp. Then Red took over and was the king. He never wore long pants. He had bad diabetes and died of complications of that.

Then Terry Hatton and Lane Franklin took over but were rivals. Hatton, son of Vern, wasn’t as big a hustler as Lane. Hatton started Malibu Jacks and got out of the ticket business.

Lane became king. He always wore cargo shorts and the backwards ball cap. He put together the best scalping empire using runners and big time computers to track everything. He had over 300 season tickets that he would by from holders and he controlled the market. He died last year while working the Masters. He was helping a disabled guy in a wheelchair across the street.

Now it’s all disorganized and most selling is on Ticketmaster. It is so much easier than Stubhub and season ticket holders can list on Ticketmaster in 10 seconds and not have to deal with delivery issues.

It all started with Ducksy. He would wear a sports coat and scalp. Then Red took over and was the king. He never wore long pants. He had bad diabetes and died of complications of that.

Then Terry Hatton and Lane Franklin took over but were rivals. Hatton, son of Vern, wasn’t as big a hustler as Lane. Hatton started Malibu Jacks and got out of the ticket business.

Lane became king. He always wore cargo shorts and the backwards ball cap. He put together the best scalping empire using runners and big time computers to track everything. He had over 300 season tickets that he would by from holders and he controlled the market. He died last year while working the Masters. He was helping a disabled guy in a wheelchair across the street.

Now it’s all disorganized and most selling is on Ticketmaster. It is so much easier than Stubhub and season ticket holders can list on Ticketmaster in 10 seconds and not have to deal with delivery issues.
I have bought tickets from Lane Franklin before. Is he still in the biz?

Since UK went digital for tickets, what are the scalpers that used to be outside of Rupp doing? Are they out there with phones and tablets doing transactions? I think the white hat guy passed away not long ago, did the empire crumble?
White hat guy passed away??? If I'm thinking of the right guy, he was young, what happened?

White hat guy passed away??? If I'm thinking of the right guy, he was young, what happened?

I think he was in his early/mid 50s. I knew Lane well for a long time through the business - we did a lot together on UK season tickets, etc. Died helping a guy in a wheelchair across the street at the Masters last year of massive heart failure.

He died last April while scalping at the Masters. Had heart attack while helping a guy in a wheelchair cross the street.

Is there an echo in here? :)
I do miss the good old days - Ducksie, Irv, Red, Turtle, the shaggy boys from Casey County, Bobby and Chappie from Cincy, Lane.....great times. Made a lot of money over the years at Rupp and all of those guys were respectful to work with even though they were the competition (except Red if he was on a coke bender.)

Reactions: GGary
A good story about Lane. He was a basketball star around the Cynthiana area. He was playing against Todd Ziegler in a game that Joe Hall was supposed to attend. Lane had close to 40 and shut Ziegler down and was by far the best player on the court.

Unfortunately, Hall missed the game because of a flat tire. UK took Ziegler and Lane got a scholly at Virginia from Terry Holland. Lane tore his knee up the next year and ACLs were pretty much career ending back then.

ADVERTISEMENT