ADVERTISEMENT

Saul Good Man

Like I said, this is January 2004. Gus doesn't know Walter White yet but he is still making the lab.

Interesting. I haven't watched last night's episode yet which I assume you are referring to.

Maybe my recollection or interpretation of BB is incorrect about the origins of the lab. Guess BCS will shed some light on it.

Interesting. I haven't watched last night's episode yet which I assume you are referring to.

Maybe my recollection or interpretation of BB is incorrect about the origins of the lab. Guess BCS will shed some light on it.
When you do, watch the files in the opening montage about Jimmy's PPD reports. The first one is June 3, 2003 and the last is January 12, 2004. That's the time jump in this one.

Gale set up that lab and was already cooking in it. He convinced Gus to bring in Walter because he was amazed at the purity of his meth. Gale was cooking at a low 90s purity level and Walt's was around 99 percent pure. Those few points astonished him and he convinced Gus it was worth it. When Walt started cooking Gale was his partner. Gale had his own chemist made coffe brewing machine there in the lab. Walt then went on to convince Gus to cut Gale out and let him bring in Jesse.

You need to reread what I said since your post saying it was regular BCS timeline. I agree with you now. It is. They just built the lab for Gale (probably) and not Walt.

I watched the episode, and you're right. He's definitely not building the lab for Walt who he's never met and is just a teacher at this point.

Whether he's building the lab for Gale specifically or some other unmanned chemist that cooks for him is unclear at this point.

I also am not sure that Gale was cooking in the lab before Walt came along. It looks like the lab is going to take a long time to finish, so it's plausible that the lab gets finished right before Gus meets Walt and then he brings in Gale to be his assistant.

I watched the episode, and you're right. He's definitely not building the lab for Walt who he's never met and is just a teacher at this point.

Whether he's building the lab for Gale specifically or some other unmanned chemist that cooks for him is unclear at this point.

I also am not sure that Gale was cooking in the lab before Walt came along. It looks like the lab is going to take a long time to finish, so it's plausible that the lab gets finished right before Gus meets Walt and then he brings in Gale to be his assistant.
I think that's a lot of construction delays at this point.

Has anyone here other than hyman actually watched bb? The lab was there. Walt started cooking and it was blue. And 99% pure. That stuff got back to Gale and he was amazed. Convinced Gus to bring Walt in. Gus had a plan to let Walt teach Gale the recipe and eventually Walt would die from his cancer or Gus would have Walt wacked once Gale could produce the same quality. Have any of you actually watched this show?

I've pretty much given up at this point. Watched the two most recent episodes last night.

I think my favorite scene was when the drug out Jimmy carrying the cell phones into the nail salon. Really needed to make sure we saw him carry every single phone.

Success has been the worst thing possible for content on AMC. Surprised the haven't done a Mad Men spin off of a week in the life of Don Draper stretched over 6 seasons.

I’d say Gus just had an interest in the meth trade. So when a new awesome blue meth showed up, he would definitely want to know where this new small batch stuff was coming from and anything he could find out about it.

Gus knew of Walt before Walt knew about Gus. Gus had Walt surveilled for a while.

Gale never used the lab although I think the lab was originally built for Gale. When Gus brought Walter there the first time, everything was brand new and completely unwrapped. Walter was amazed at the items Gus had purchased and the lab he had set up. Gus mentioned how much he needed to make in order to be profitable. Walter turned him down but changed his mind a few days later because of Jesse - making him a half-partner.

The only thing Gale made was coffee and Walter, in order to get Gus out and Jesse in was overly critical of Gale and insinuated that he had made mistakes.

Gus spent 25 years trying to get revenge on the cartel, but I'm almost certain the cartel provided all of the meth before Walt/Gale came along. This is why he paid for Gale's education - he was hoping he could become independent by training him and plotting his revenge. Gale may have had a smaller lab elsewhere but he did not use that lab.

Gale also mentioned something to Gus about him being a perfectionist and that his meth would never be good enough for Gus. Gale was also pressured towards the end of S4 to quickly learn Walt's formula so he could kill Walter (or in case he died from cancer).

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I think I was wrong about Gale cooking in the lab. Because didn't he and Gale inbox a lot of stuff and put the equipment together?

Reactions: catlanta33
My DVR stopped recording the show about a month ago and I just discovered it last week. Sat down to binge 3-4 episodes because I was pretty far behind, and they weren’t there. Pretty devastated.

How many episodes this season? Last nights was 1:15 compared to the normal hour long episode.

What do you guys think happens to Kim as to why she doesn't show up in BB?

My theory: her boredom with her law firm leads to more escapades with Saul. She gets caught and disbarred. She kills herself.

Are they going to back the laundry truck full of the Germans over to Saul's new space and build him the office with the columns and secret cubbies?

I doubt Kim kills herself, but I wouldn't be surprised if, during the course of her pro bono work, she GETS killed.

Don’t think Kim kills her self or gets killed because of a scheme with Saul. I think it’d be too jarring and would make him get out of that way of conducting his business. I do agree that she may get killed as a side of her other stuff, though.

I don't know. Maybe her death finally pushes him fully over the edge to saying "screw it" and fully becoming Saul Goodman. I guess we'll find out at some point before the show ends if my theory is correct. It just seems like they are really playing up her stress and dissatisfaction with her current life. She already almost died last season in the car wreck.

Ok we are in early 2004 in the timeline now. Do the events of Breaking Bad take place starting in 2008? Does Gus sit on that lab for a couple of years?

Ok we are in early 2004 in the timeline now. Do the events of Breaking Bad take place starting in 2008? Does Gus sit on that lab for a couple of years?

He's got that new Salamanca guy to deal with and eventually Tuco.

Besides, he's got a gott damn rock where his elevator shaft has to go.

BB is very rewatchable. I'm in season 4 now, and IMO, that's when the show takes the leap from great to incredible.

Better Call Saul might end up being better than Breaking Bad. And that's not something I say lightly as Breaking Bad is my favorite TV show ever.

ADVERTISEMENT