ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Night Fool's Gold?

Point taken. I shouldn't have assumed the worst, but I did just that. This is, I suppose, what social media does to us. :(

You're good. Just doing my best to protect your right to have an opinion without being insulted and ridiculed.

• ... Understand that the offense (with Bowden at QB) is little more than the wing-T with some window dressing,

Only picking at nits here, but I think you mean "little more than the SINGLE WING." SW is known for spreading things out and a lot of direct-snap to more of a runner than a passer. Wing-T is a different animal. Usually all four backs in the backfield, only one WR, and the QB is more a facilitator than the featured runner.

(I agree with the tenor of your post, BTW)

Reactions: BlueRattie
Only picking at nits here, but I think you mean "little more than the SINGLE WING." SW is known for spreading things out and a lot of direct-snap to more of a runner than a passer. Wing-T is a different animal. Usually all four backs in the backfield, only one WR, and the QB is more a facilitator than the featured runner.

(I agree with the tenor of your post, BTW)

I agree with your proper use of the word "tenor".

• I'm afraid, though, that Stoops/Gran will believe that tonight's plan is "the answer". It is not. Georgia, Missouri, and Tennessee will all be prepared for this, and they will crush us.
Thanks for the post. However, I doubt that either Stoops or Gran think that they can continue to trot out a similar game plan and it will work. We caught UArk with a little change up but upcoming teams will plan for that.

Last edited:
To the OP and the references made to the Wing-t and it’s absence from major college football.

I would love to see a program with enough courage or craziness to run the wing-t.
In fact, I don’t know why one of the traditional bottom dwelling teams in a P-5 conference doesn’t give it a try.

There are several smaller college teams that pummel people in that old offense.

Seriously, can you imagine having one week to prepare to face a well run wingT systematic offense? That would not be a fun week for d-coordinators in any league.

To the OP and the references made to the Wing-t and it’s absence from major college football.

I would love to see a program with enough courage or craziness to run the wing-t.
In fact, I don’t know why one of the traditional bottom dwelling teams in a P-5 conference doesn’t give it a try.

There are several smaller college teams that pummel people in that old offense.

Seriously, can you imagine having one week to prepare to face a well run wingT systematic offense? That would not be a fun week for d-coordinators in any league.
It's "not you daddy's Wing-T" but what Gus Malzahn--former successful high school Wing-T coach--is doing at Auburn is probably about as close to the Wing-T as you can get at the big-time D1 level.

Most casual viewers would just describe it as a "Spread Offense," but it's actually a blend of modern zone offense built on a foundation of the old-school Wing-T. Consider how much gap-scheme/line pull there is compared to the usual Zone scheme stuff (and singularly the fact that the actual Buck Sweep is a huge component), along with the 2- and even 3-back looks given, the emphasis on misdirection, and a well thought-out play action game.

Some years the offense doesn't click, but honestly I think those are the years at Auburn when he gets a player (like Stidham) that compels him to be more 'contemporary' and gets away from what he truly knows.

It's "not you daddy's Wing-T" but what Gus Malzahn--former successful high school Wing-T coach--is doing at Auburn is probably about as close to the Wing-T as you can get at the big-time D1 level.

Most casual viewers would just describe it as a "Spread Offense," but it's actually a blend of modern zone offense built on a foundation of the old-school Wing-T. Consider how much gap-scheme/line pull there is compared to the usual Zone scheme stuff (and singularly the fact that the actual Buck Sweep is a huge component), along with the 2- and even 3-back looks given, the emphasis on misdirection, and a well thought-out play action game.

Some years the offense doesn't click, but honestly I think those are the years at Auburn when he gets a player (like Stidham) that compels him to be more 'contemporary' and gets away from what he truly knows.

Brian, I am impressed!! I was going to mention how successful Auburn is with their Wing-t concepts but I didn’t want to have to explain. You did that better than I would anyway. I will be honest, when I see Auburn run their version of buck sweep, it gets me a bit, I won’t say aroused, but it gets me excited!

Excellent post. Interesting point about the Pro-style QB / low output correlation.

Reactions: brian.mikeson
If for some reason Bowden doesn’t have a good game against GA, I hope his current backers on here stay behind him and doesn’t trash him like we have seen done to so many others.

Reactions: fabcat

Excellent post. Can I assume you mean zone read offense? FWIW, that sounds very much like what I have seen from UofL's offense so far this year.

Peace

I was hearing before the Arky game how they almost beat TA&M. I wonder if anyone thought about how we almost beat Florida, and should have. Arkansas could not carry Florida's jock strap. The other two games we lost were away games, and it's tough to win on the other team's field. Remember Tennessee last year. The only game we should lose the rest of the season is Georgia. They just have better athletes at this time then we do. I hope in another 4 to 6 years, I won't say that. We'll see!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: CGblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT