ADVERTISEMENT

Satisfaction

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
The preseason talk is the strongest it has been for Kentucky in my life.

So, I’ve decided to step back and look at realistic expectations and hopes for the season.

Yeah, in August, we have a shot at a lot, but so do teams we are damn near overlooking in our rose colored projections. Mizzou and USCe are hardly being mentioned as competitive foes, but we beat both by less than a TD last year.

I want at least a 9-3 with a bowl win. I’d love 10-2 with a NYD6 bowl birth.

But if we pitch an 8-4 season, and win the Outback or TS/Gator, we will end the season ranked. And that will be the first time since 1951 that we were ranked both preseason, and post-season. And a 9-4 record would be the 6th best season in my lifetime.

9-4 will satisfy me. Anything above that is gravy!

Hack have respect for you and your posts.

But we need to change our old mindsets, I sure don't want the players laying a satisfied expectation.

Realization and expectations need to be upgraded by the fan base. I'm not saying your possibilities aren't possible.

This UK team has more talent and the depth is as talented in most positions. That's always been our downfall over the decades DEPTH.

I believe we are going to have an amazing year, it's time coach Stoops has done a long term build and the foundation is strong.

My only expectation is for the players to play well and coaches to coach well every week, understanding that some weeks they will be better than others. So long as they do that, and don't have any "gifts" I'll be happy with whatever record we wind up with. However as always my focus is not on "expectations" but goals. The team's first goal this year is the win the East. I think they have the capability to do so and I'm very excited about the prospects and support them 100% in that effort.

Last edited:
The big hurdle to me is lil UT (which is what they should be called now that another orange T from a bigger state is joining the conference). There's absolutely no reason for us to struggle with them as much as we do. We have them outmatched every single year and then give up one of our worst performances in one or more areas of play. Defense getting gashed, special teams gifting them left and right, offense acting like they're coached by whatever the hell his name was that came in after Brown.

They also may be the worst fans in the conference. That means we have to deal with their sh*t talk cuz they're like IU fans when Weirdo got them to a Sweet 16. "WE'RE BACK. HAHAHAHA SUCK IT WORLD."

They're also the most vocal, so any time any major media outlet gives props to literally anything UKFB, there's a thousand of their mob with nothing better to do in their sad lives than flood the replies with GBO or Rocky Top or scores from when they've beaten us. It doesn't look good for us or them, but I only really care about our image.

Plus, the internet sharks have literally no shame, so calling it like the world sees it - mustard bottles, McDonald's bags, and golf balls alike does nothing... It's very similar to another cult in America that seems more than happy to look the other direction when presented with absolute garbage behavior, but I digress.

It's not enough to me that we win the east. I want us undefeated in the east. Leave no field unburned. After that, I don't really care. We go undefeated in the east, and that takes care of every other expectation the fanbase could have this season, IMO.

Well said Defense, 💯 agree with that take. Stoops just keeps building, eventually he and his team will break through. I want to be there watching it when it happens.

Good point on Depth Dallas. That’s a big part of why the team has struggled through the years, often close in starting talent but no quality depth when the injury bug hit or late in the 3rd quarter of physical games.

I temper my expectations this year because of the many unknowns. New staff on offense is a biggie for me, everybody had turnoveritis last year learning a new system, hopeful we don’t repeat that. Several positions could be the fly in the ointment, again, hopefully it isn’t.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild

So, I’ve decided to step back and look at realistic expectations and hopes for the season.

Yeah, in August, we have a shot at a lot, but so do teams we are damn near overlooking in our rose colored projections. Mizzou and USCe are hardly being mentioned as competitive foes, but we beat both by less than a TD last year.

But if we pitch an 8-4 season, and win the Outback or TS/Gator, we will end the season ranked. And that will be the first time since 1951 that we were ranked both preseason, and post-season. And a 9-4 record would be the 6th best season in my lifetime.

Agree. This can be a season to remember, but those buying Doering's 11-1 in the season with a trip to Atlanta and possibly the National Championship as their definition of a successful season should remember what Westley the Stableboy said to Inigo Montoya in their sword fight on the cliff's edge, "Prepare to be disappointed." If the stars align, that could happen but it should not be the only definition of a successful season. That will be the goal for the coaches and players and we fans can join in as long as we don't write off the season as an outright failure if it doesn't happen. I have listened to and watched Kentucky football since 1949 and my expectations have been higher but at this point, they are just expectations. I'm hoping the reality matches the expectations.

Agree. This can be a season to remember, but those buying Doering's 11-1 in the season with a trip to Atlanta and possibly the National Championship as their definition of a successful season should remember what Westley the Stableboy said to Inigo Montoya in their sword fight on the cliff's edge, "Prepare to be disappointed." If the stars align, that could happen but it should not be the only definition of a successful season. That will be the goal for the coaches and players and we fans can join in as long as we don't write off the season as an outright failure if it doesn't happen. I have listened to and watched Kentucky football since 1949 and my expectations have been higher but at this point, they are just expectations. I'm hoping the reality matches the expectations.

I think 8-4 should be the minimum expectation with this team and this schedule. If the 8-4 includes wins over 2 of the 3 (UL / UT / UF), then that would still be a good season. 9-3 is still a great year for UK, and should make anyone here happy.

A 10-2 season would be the best season in modern history and a guaranteed NY6 berth. It would also possibly mean a trip to ATL depending on UGA and who the two losses were against.

11-1 better and we're living in a parallel universe where we should just enjoy being high for 4 months.

The impending suspension of one of the greatest UK RBs in history is sapping my excitement level. Im beginning to wonder just how long CROD’s suspension is going to be with no official word yet and we are just days from the opener.
Sucks

The main reason I 'm so excited about this team, we have a elite QB along with a elite defense. The the defense should be able to keep us in EVERY game and if the offense can progress, the way I think they will, this could be a historical year. Ofcourse the SEC is a brutal conference but we're a SEC quality now from top to bottom. We also have the quality coaches to get the best out of the players.

Reactions: The-Hack
The impending suspension of one of the greatest UK RBs in history is sapping my excitement level. Im beginning to wonder just how long CROD’s suspension is going to be with no official word yet and we are just days from the opener.
Sucks
Coaches are very happy with Jefferson, FCS All American lest we forget.

Need CRod no doubt but we have some real talented RB's

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
The main reason I 'm so excited about this team, we have a elite QB along with a elite defense. The the defense should be able to keep us in EVERY game and if the offense can progress, the way I think they will, this could be a historical year. Ofcourse the SEC is a brutal conference but we're a SEC quality now from top to bottom. We also have the quality coaches to get the best out of the players.
The schedule is “very” favorable I might add with No Bama,Arkansas,LSU or Auburn. Plus 8 of the 12 gms are in Lexington!

If there ever was a yr to contend for an NC in football it is this year!

Never thought UK pass defense was great. It seems like UK jumps out to a lead because their opponents try to run . Then when they can’t, they open it up by passing and UK can’t stop them. I think we need to challenge the receiver on the catch.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
9 regular season wins. If we were to go .500 in conference, or go 5-3 and then lose to Louisville, I'd be disappointed. If we do go 9-3 and make another NYD bowl and lose I won't be disappointed in the season. 8-4 and a lesser bowl victory would still be disappointing.

I WANT to see another step forward - going 5-3 in SEC is the best we've done in my life and we've done it twice in 4 years. I want to see us win 6+ games in conference. I REALLY want to see us make the Sugar Bowl. But, at least, I'll be satisfied if we don't take a step back.

9 regular season wins. If we were to go .500 in conference, or go 5-3 and then lose to Louisville, I'd be disappointed. If we do go 9-3 and make another NYD bowl and lose I won't be disappointed in the season. 8-4 and a lesser bowl victory would still be disappointing.

I WANT to see another step forward - going 5-3 in SEC is the best we've done in my life and we've done it twice in 4 years. I want to see us win 6+ games in conference. I REALLY want to see us make the Sugar Bowl. But, at least, I'll be satisfied if we don't take a step back.
With the overall ease of the schedule coupled with only 4 out of 12 reg. season gms on the road and our 1st AP preseason ranking in 44 yrs., anything less than a 10-2 reg. season and a NY6 bowl game and victory to fini with 11 wins for the first time in 72 yrs circa 1950 and for only the 2nd time in 107 yrs of UK football and I will be throughly disappointed:

11-2 could possibly garner UK a top 5 finish in the polls as well.
Can you imagine finishing top 5 in football and basketball the same season? Talk about a once in a lifetime occurrence! The whole state would go ape shit!

Last edited:
I think Doering is just laying "rat poison".

Reactions: Johnfarrel
The great thing about this season, and the progression of the program, is that we can legitimately dream about a truly special season. This could be the best KY team in decades.....the potential is there, but the margin for error given the league competition isn't enough that we can bank on a 10 win season.

We can throw the games against UF, UT, SC, Ole Miss, Miss St and Mo into one big barrel and never know what we’re going to get.

I can see us running the table and coming out 6-0. I can see us being a couple key injuries from coming out 0-6. The logical side of me says we come out of these games 4-2. UT seems to be as much of a mental problem for us as talent.

But ... I’m throwing logic to the wind and putting on my blue tinted glasses. I predict we go 5-1 in the games mentioned above and lose a close game to Ga to go 10-2 on regular season with a NY 6 bowl! We beat a good team in the bowl game and finish the year ranked in top 10.

Don't do it to yourselves. 8-4 or 9-3 is a great season with a great bowl. If Stoops can achieve that, it's a great season in the Bluegrass.

Don't do it to yourselves. 8-4 or 9-3 is a great season with a great bowl. If Stoops can achieve that, it's a great season in the Bluegrass.
Both are good years and I will be content with either.

But, Stoops has raised the floor and how many years do we return a good QB? Returning good QB combined with what I think will be a NASTY defense causes me to think we make push for SEC east. We probably lose a winnable game in some crazy fashion and lose to Ga. I’m hoping those are only 2 loses.

Both are good years and I will be content with either.

But, Stoops has raised the floor and how many years do we return a good QB? Returning good QB combined with what I think will be a NASTY defense causes me to think we make push for SEC east. We probably lose a winnable game in some crazy fashion and lose to Ga. I’m hoping those are only 2 loses.
If we beat Florida without CROD watch the F out!

Reactions: entropy13 and rye48
Sucks
Don't allow things like that to steal your hope. We will be fine without him and will be better at the end of the season with him well rested. There is always a silver lining and losing hope is a waste of time. It's ok to be sad after the fact, but losing hope before hand is stupid.

It's time for the FB program to take the next step...10-2 regular season with a shot at 11-1.

What can't happen is a step back...

Reactions: Jeff12wb
The schedule is “very” favorable I might add with No Bama,Arkansas,LSU or Auburn. Plus 8 of the 12 gms are in Lexington!

If there ever was a yr to contend for an NC in football it is this year!
I’d rather play Auburn than Ole Miss this year.

I hope for no less than 10 but I get your feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT