ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler to UK

Have you noticed the past 3 weeks or so a lot of them have disappeared or hardly posted? LMFAO

Ok, ok I just listened to the announcement and I'm ready to roll with this kid and the 10 we have, but I sure do hope we add 2 more out of Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. We had 11 last year and seemed short-handed at times and we have had injuries every year for a while now so I hope we end with at least 12. Goodman looked like he wanted to say F**k when he said Kentucky. I feel good about this roster and coaching staff. Cal has really stepped up and fixed every dam thing he needed to. Now he has to execute it when we play, but dam it looks exciting so far.

Cal to the haters:
I love optimistic fans. But damn you’d think for some Cal just brought in Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe.

It’s a good start at rebuilding a roster and a brand. But it’s still somewhat cobbled together. We will see how the pieces work. But losing the best 4 players off a 9-16 team and replacing them with who the Cats have replaced them with doesn’t scream Final Four.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I disagree with this. He will be a lot more effective if he hits shots, if he stays at or near 22% from the outside, he will not fool anyone for very long. Every weakness will be exploited, especially in the NCAAT.

He becomes very guardable if he can't prove that he can hit shots. South Carolina neutralized Wheeler to the tune of a 21 point beatdown by sagging on him and taking away passing and driving lanes.

If we want UK to be a true contender, he has to shoot a hell of a lot better than 22%. I'm not dumping on him, it's just a fact.
I've been hard as hell on Cal regarding a number of topics but I believe we need to give this kid a shot and see how he plays with the shooters he will have. If someone zones us and we have a Frederick/Allen Grady etc then I will say we might not need is lack of shooting ability. I've been all over Cal for his lack of shooters and recruiting them. Lets see now now he utilizes these kids. If he does not change his coaching/substitution patterns and continues his current style bye bye but I believe we need to give him a shot and again look at my posts, no Cal fan here.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I love optimistic fans. But damn you’d think for some Cal just brought in Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe.

It’s a good start at rebuilding a roster and a brand. But it’s still somewhat cobbled together. We will see how the pieces work. But losing the best 4 players off a 9-16 team and replacing them with who the Cats have replaced them with doesn’t scream Final Four.
Compared to what we lost I will take TyTy, Grady, and Oscar over them all day long as long as Brooks returns. If we also get back either Mintz or Jackson it will be ridiculous. We have improved at every position and added depth. We have a mix of talented Freshmen, returning guys, and top transfers. This roster is starting to show it all and has a lot more talent than last year's.

Reactions: westerncat
Have you noticed the past 3 weeks or so a lot of them have disappeared or hardly posted? LMFAO

Ok, ok I just listened to the announcement and I'm ready to roll with this kid and the 10 we have, but I sure do hope we add 2 more out of Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. We had 11 last year and seemed short-handed at times and we have had injuries every year for a while now so I hope we end with at least 12. Goodman looked like he wanted to say F**k when he said Kentucky. I feel good about this roster and coaching staff. Cal has really stepped up and fixed every dam thing he needed to. Now he has to execute it when we play, but dam it looks exciting so far.

Cal to the haters:
Amen!

Just watched his interview and I'm now getting super excited for the season to start.. If he can get his teammates excited and playing hard like he got me fired up watching him, oh boy, we got us a good one! He seems to be coming to Lexington to get to a championship. Don't care what others said on here, this kid is a great addition. C'mon, let's get this season going now!

Reactions: BassProCat

At the same time, those like you screamed we'd be better off without guys like Boston and Clarke, and now that they do leave and we replace them with shooters and juniors and seniors, it's "well I don't exactly know if we upgraded".

Never satisfied unless AD, Wall, Cousins, KAT, Booker and others stay all four years, apparently.

After your praise of Askew a year ago... before a game was played, I think I'll just skip your basketball judgement
it is obvious that you do not understand the high value of having a PG that can penetrate and get assists

after the regular season we can talk about this again

With all the shooters we now have I think Wheeler might be the perfect addition to the team.

He might not be the best point that has been available but he seems like a perfect fit.

I feel that Cal has put a top 5 team together.

Happy happy joy joy

Really nice job by the coaches/Jai Lucas in particular with Wheeler. To think you can convince a 2nd Team All SEC player to come in when you bring in the best PG prospect the program's brought in since SGA but ratings wise since Fox.....and I know I personally didn't think it would happen. So happy to be wrong and kudos to the UK coaches and glad to have Wheeler join the program.

It’s 2021 and your PG or lead guard needs to be a competent shooter. The worry isnt teams playing zone but sagging off the PG and clogging up all passing lanes. That’s a different strategy than zoning.

But his experience should be a plus. This isn’t a roster that’s gonna go from 9-16 to title contender but it does seem like one to compete for a tourney bid. And hopefully it sets the foundation for rebranding and how to build a roster going forward that has more continuity and development.
Based on the videos I've seen of this past season - more than just the Bama game - it doesn't appear as though defenses played him this way. He's plenty competent.

Reactions: BassProCat
I think we have all the guards we need to win the championship. The experience and the way they shoot consistently, those two things are the best we have had since I can't even remember. Just concerned about interior scoring. Would also like Jackson back so we have two big time shot blockers so when the refs put one on the bench.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
At the same time, those like you screamed we'd be better off without guys like Boston and Clarke, and now that they do leave and we replace them with shooters and juniors and seniors, it's "well I don't exactly know if we upgraded".

Never satisfied unless AD, Wall, Cousins, KAT, Booker and others stay all four years, apparently.
Lie never made any such comments about those guys. Let’s just hold the overreactions. This team seems to be better on paper but who knows? Still a lot of unknowns. I like the rebranding and trying to emphasize shooting.

But to expect a title contender seems more than a reach at this point.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Cal to the haters:
Still here. Cal better bring it this year, no more excuses

I disagree with this. He will be a lot more effective if he hits shots, if he stays at or near 22% from the outside, he will not fool anyone for very long. Every weakness will be exploited, especially in the NCAAT.

He becomes very guardable if he can't prove that he can hit shots. South Carolina neutralized Wheeler to the tune of a 21 point beatdown by sagging on him and taking away passing and driving lanes.

If we want UK to be a true contender, he has to shoot a hell of a lot better than 22%. I'm not dumping on him, it's just a fact.
I can get where you're coming from. However, it's a lot easier to shut someone down when they don't have shooters or playmakers around them. That won't be be case for him next season. I think people should be a lot more excited about this pick up.

I'm excited about too Clark.

images

Kentucky just added the best point guard in the transfer portal -- forget unrealistic options like Carr and Alvarado and Martin.

Picking up a rising junior who was All SEC second team -- and who is willing to play with one of the three best Point Guard recruits coming out of high school -- that's remarkable.
I say this and it is genuinely not sour grapes as I have stated this opinion multiple times on here already, but was Wheeler truly the best point guard in the portal? Or the best that was actually interested in playing alongside TyTy? I would take Martin or Alvarado over Wheeler every single time due to their defensive prowess, size and shot making ability, but I suppose it was unlikely they would come in and share time with him. I still think it’s just an incredibly odd fit - UK and Wheeler. That being said, he will do some nice things for you guys and hopefully spell TyTy instead of having to be a lead guard. You won’t want him playing more than 15-20 minutes per game.

its the typical overhype of every UK player. these same people were saying great things about Askew a year ago. Wheeler has to improve that shot a ton or we'll lose some games until Tyty takes over. Im rooting for him to improve a lot and do well but its absolutely a see it to believe it scenario .

and a triangle and 2 zone could hurt us... a guy on the Sg and sf and the guy playing zone just helps on whichever guy Wheeler tries to pass to. Wheeler needs to improve that shot ... or hopefully Cal wont be so slow to let Tyty take over as he was to put Mintz at PG this past year.
Yeah, comparing an experienced all SEC point guard who led his team in scoring and the conference in assists and assist TO ratio is just like comparing a 17 year old Askew who never played a minute of CBB. Terrible post.

I say this and it is genuinely not sour grapes as I have stated this opinion multiple times on here already, but was Wheeler truly the best point guard in the portal? Or the best that was actually interested in playing alongside TyTy? I would take Martin or Alvarado over Wheeler every single time due to their defensive prowess, size and shot making ability, but I suppose it was unlikely they would come in and share time with him. I still think it’s just an incredibly odd fit - UK and Wheeler. That being said, he will do some nice things for you guys and hopefully spell TyTy instead of having to be a lead guard. You won’t want him playing more than 15-20 minutes per game.
Was hoping you would chime in and give your view. Been looking for you to post on this subject.
What do you make of all the players leaving UGA this year?

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Was hoping you would chime in and give your view. Been looking for you to post on this subject.
What do you make of all the players leaving UGA this year?
It’s concerning. Almost feels like someone has blackmail on Tom with how nearly everyone left. Always knew he was a weird guy, but it seemed like a lot of his players at IU and Marquette liked him despite his quirkiness. Definitely think the portal will be brutal to programs like Georgia who have very little history, but I’m actually pleasantly surprised with what we’re bringing in. Couple of guys that I believe will make some noise in the conference. Couple more big (at least for us) portal fish out there we’re supposedly close to closing on.

It’s concerning. Almost feels like someone has blackmail on Tom with how nearly everyone left. Always knew he was a weird guy, but it seemed like a lot of his players at IU and Marquette liked him despite his quirkiness. Definitely think the portal will be brutal to programs like Georgia who have very little history, but I’m actually pleasantly surprised with what we’re bringing in. Couple of guys that I believe will make some noise in the conference. Couple more big (at least for us) portal fish out there we’re supposedly close to closing on.
Honestly haven't kept up with other teams because UK's roster has been so fluid.
DO you think it was just guys wanting to try out the free movement they were given? Hope you guys have a good year.

when he beats his man off the dribble (which he does a lot) what does he force the defense to do?

that is why he gets so many assists and will be such an asset to this team
Good coaches and good defenses will shut him down if he can't shoot. Remember, we aren't talking about done 6'4" uber athlete, Wheeler is 5'10" and not long. He's quick, but when you can't shoot, defenses can contain that. If South carolina can do it twice, surely anyone we run into from the sweet 16 on can.

I fully expect him to put the work in and get his shooting average up though. I have to believe he’s better than 22%.

Last edited:
Reactions: kywildcat41086
its the typical overhype of every UK player. these same people were saying great things about Askew a year ago. Wheeler has to improve that shot a ton or we'll lose some games until Tyty takes over. Im rooting for him to improve a lot and do well but its absolutely a see it to believe it scenario .

and a triangle and 2 zone could hurt us... a guy on the Sg and sf and the guy playing zone just helps on whichever guy Wheeler tries to pass to. Wheeler needs to improve that shot ... or hopefully Cal wont be so slow to let Tyty take over as he was to put Mintz at PG this past year.
Yeah, I learned my lesson a long time ago, I don't get uber excited about every player that signs on. They all have something that needs work and in this case, Wheeler has two glaring negative stat lines. We can't ignore that. The assists and the quickness are great, but those turnovers and the awful outside shooting percentage needs to be fixed or that will cost us games.

Good coaches and good defenses will sgut him down if he can't shoot. Remember, we aren't talking about done 6'4" uber athlete, Wheeler is 5'10" and not long. He's quick, but when you can't shoot, defenses can contain that. If South carolina can do it twice, surely anyone we run into from the sweet 16 on can.

I fully expect him to put the work in and get his shooting average up though. I have to believe he’s better than 22%.
if he is quick enough to penetrate and dish we do not need him taking very many 3's
i do think he will shoot better than 22%
i think with the talent around him he will get far more open shots
shooting 22% is more than likely just trying too hard, the same can be said about turnovers
he shot better as a freshman
i read where the difference between 22% and 30% is him making 1 more shot every 5 games or so
you would have to think with more talent around him his percentage would almost have to go up (really be tough to go down LOL)
i have no idea how many he took last year, so take that with a grain of salt

I don't think anyone believes he'll NEVER shoot. But we didn't need an elite 3 point shooter at PG. It would be great to get someone that does everything. But the reality of the situation is you take a guy like Wheeler.

In saying we don't need him to shoot--I think his main job needs to be setting up his teammates. We've got 3 guys that should be awesome shooters in Allen, Grady and CJ. We've got bigs that can slam it home inside. Wheeler needs to run the show.

Of course he'll have situations where he's open and he can't turn down the shots. He needs to be respectable. He was his freshman year. I almost can't fathom a situation where he goes to a way better team--where he doesn't have to force a lot--and still shoots so poorly and turns it over as much.

But he doesn't need to shoot it from deep more than 2 or 3 times a game. He needs to be getting in the paint, collapsing the D, and finding the open man.
I guess we just have to ask ourselves, do we want to be national title good, or just sweet 16 good?
Your pg can't turn the ball over like crazy and he has to shoot better than 22%.
I fully believe Wheeler will greatly improve both stats, but I won't be surprised if at least one of those two bad attributes rears its ugly head at the wrong time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT