ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler’s mature response to being relegated to role player

Damn I have to give him respect for that answer.
Your damn right your at Kentucky and ya supposed to win 80% of the time....
Glad he understand it's about winning. wheelers in a better place to help us win now as the last four games have showed. Spark plug point guard off the bench aint a bad place to be. You keep the fans off your ass there

If we make a great run to the end of the season and maybe make some noise in the tournament, his play, attitude and leadership may well be a big part of the reason. Let's ALL hope so !! It appears that he truly "gets Kentucky" more than many here ever realized or even imagined. GO SAHVIR and GO CATS !!

Last edited:
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

Last edited:
While I commend Wheeler for saying all the right things, in reality, what else is he going to say?

That he is a better option to start at point over Wallace? All the stats and evidence points to the contrary.

It is just common sense what he is saying. It's nice to hear him say it, but again, what else would one expect him to say?

Classy kid. He’s taken some flack (from me as well). He’s seeing what we all have seen.

But, UK still needs him to play the best he can when he’s in. He just can’t play 35 - 38 minutes a game. But if there’s foul trouble or needed rests, UK has to have him play.

While I commend Wheeler for saying all the right things, in reality, what else is he going to say?

That he is a better option to start at point over Wallace? All the stats and evidence points to the contrary.

It is just common sense what he is saying. It's nice to hear him say it, but again, what else would one expect him to say?
Way to turn a positive, constructive team building comment into a negative. Good job.

Way to turn a positive, constructive team building comment into a negative. Good job.
Uhhhh???...you may want to reread my post. I never even remotely said one negative thing about what he did. I clearly said he did what he should have done, nothing more and nothing less. I even said I commend him for doing so and that it was nice to hear. Are you day drinking?

So, not really "commend Wheeler".

Good attitude from Wheeler. We need his minutes off the bench. Not his fault his coach couldn’t figure out after last season that he’s not starting Pg material at KY.
Hope he stays ready.

Uhhhh???...you may want to reread my post. I never even remotely said one negative thing about what he did. I clearly said he did what he should have done, nothing more and nothing less. I even said I commend him for doing so and that it was nice to hear. Are you day drinking?
He could have very easily said he didn’t like his new role and that he deserved to be in the starting lineup but gave his teammates props instead. Very mature response which was the premise of the thread. But you had to wax negative with your “What was he supposed to say” comment.

He could have very easily said he didn’t like his new role and that he deserved to be in the starting lineup but gave his teammates props instead. Very mature response which was the premise of the thread. But you had to wax negative with your “What was he supposed to say” comment.
I am not going to praise somebody for doing something they should do. I can commend them and say it was nice to hear. But I will not heap praise on someone because they didn't do something negative (which is your example).

It's like I am not going to praise a father for not beating his children...exact same principle.

There are plenty of negative or neutral things he could have said. He said the right thing here, let’s not act like he is backed into a corner.

I am not going to praise somebody for doing something they should do. I can commend them and say it was nice to hear. But I will not heap praise on someone because they didn't do something negative (which is your example).

It's like I am not going to praise a father for not beating his children...exact same principle.
Well, he could have gone a different direction with his answer. He didn't have to praise the guys who have been playing. He could have said, "it's been tough but I'm adjusting." Or something similar- he could have made it about himself or tried to get some sympathy. I think most people would have taken the opportunity to make their case or at least play for sympathy, but he did neither. So, it is commendable, in my opinion.

And this team needs Wheeler to be ok with his more limited role in order to be good. It's easy for us to say "suck it up and deal with it" but Wheeler is a Senior leader on this team and if he's frustrated, it will affect the entire team. So, his play last night and this post-game interview tell me he's got his head right and he's ready to move forward. And you could see it in the way the team played last night- knowing Wheeler is fine, the team is fine, too.

I am not going praise somebody for doing something they should do. I can commend them and say it was nice to hear. But I will not heap praise on someone because they didn't do something negative (which is your example).

This thread was intended to shed light on an admirable attitude - coming from a much maligned player - who went from pre season All SEC that led the SEC the last 2 years in assists to coming off the bench. Nobody asked you to heap praise on him,

I vividly remember some posters attacking his "ego" for some reason. He seems like a great leader and kid and nothing that he has shown shows otherwise.
Smaller guys have to have a little attitude at this level. They've had to compete harder to even get that spot. I'm with you, seems like a good kid but glad the teams how it is right now. Good luck #2

Sahvir Wheeler appreciates and respects what Kentucky basketball is. Some times we get too caught up in the results of things and forget that these players are like the rest of us, perfectly imperfect. Does anyone believe that he doesn't give 100% for the jersey? That's all we can really ask for. Someone who gives effort and works hard. That doesn't mean he's not held to a standard. It just means that you should appreciate him for the good just as much as you criticize for the bad.

Well, he could have gone a different direction with his answer. He didn't have to praise the guys who have been playing. He could have said, "it's been tough but I'm adjusting." Or something similar- he could have made it about himself or tried to get some sympathy. I think most people would have taken the opportunity to make their case or at least play for sympathy, but he did neither. So, it is commendable, in my opinion.

And this team needs Wheeler to be ok with his more limited role in order to be good. It's easy for us to say "suck it up and deal with it" but Wheeler is a Senior leader on this team and if he's frustrated, it will affect the entire team. So, his play last night and this post-game interview tell me he's got his head right and he's ready to move forward. And you could see it in the way the team played last night- knowing Wheeler is fine, the team is fine, too.
Definitely pumped about his new role. Last night is how a lot of fans have envisioned Cal's usage of him.

I reread your comment and agree with the other posters. Sorry, but the wording of your post just tries to create more doubts about the sincerity of what he said. You twice mention, what is he supposed to say, rather than just leave it for what he actually said and trust he is sincere and very mature in his comprehension of the lineup change. You gave him one backhanded compliment and then the rest of it is just doubt filled with another statement that is just a dig at Wheeler. You can try to defend it but I feel that's what others, and me, see in your comment.

Last night was one of Wheeler's best performances in a UK uniform. He's had some big stat games, but last night he accepted his role and played his hardest at what he was asked to do. I was very impressed. If he can hold that line, he will be a very trusted and valued backup.

Wheeler’s steal and lay up gave UK its biggest lead of the game at 67-47 with less than 6 minutes to play and it was over!

Reactions: Elliott Tim

Who hurt you?

What a horrendous take on Wheeler, and OP’s post. You’re just plan ignorant or dumb to make that post. OP trying to give a pat on the back and you just cut Wheelers throat OMG. How do you live with yourself? Terrible take hating on a player. Why do you our players and UK? Are you a troll, or just a mean, heartless person?

Reactions: anon_ce2llurbpkli4

Nailed it.

I went back and watched the start of the Tennessee game just now and they went to Holly Rowe and she said "Kentucky is going to have to play without 2 of their best players today" when talking about Wheeler and Collins. So did she mean 2 of their best players as in 2 of their best 10 players or what exactly was she talking about ?

Also note that Tennessee according to ESPN or whatever they use for win probability was 91% to win before the game and was up to 95.7% to win after the 8-0 start.

I think it would be reasonable to be pissed. It is also possible to make underhanded comments about being benched. But, Wheeler seems fine and is publicly supportive of the team.

Its ok to not like Wheeler as the PG...yet applaud him when he acts and says the right thing

His body language in the UT game tells you all you need to know about Wheeler's character. He was standing and clapping his hands vigorously supporting his teammates while on the bench.

I think Wheele had an attitude adjustment. He went through the Yale “this sucks” phase that every human does when we hit adversity. He’s had time to adjust and now we’re going to see what we can do.

But his answer is right. Wish Cal would say stuff like that more.
Your last statement is SO true !

ADVERTISEMENT