ADVERTISEMENT

Sacha Killeya-Jones

No . He doesn't have a shot in hell to start over Richards. The difference between Richards and Bamba is the Bamba might be a once in life time defender and shot blocker where Richards will just be top 10 in college next season at it . Either is good though LOL. SKJ will be a nice back up he ain't starting over a Richards.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Jones has taken notice of people overlooking him saying not to sleep on him, sometimes that lights a fire in a person and makes them work hard to achieve their goals. He was a five star player and has talent and moves to good not to be able to help the team. He knows the system and what Cal wants, now it's up to him to as to how much he wants to play. We need him to be a major contributor next season, I hope it happens.

Jones has taken notice of people overlooking him saying not to sleep on him, sometimes that lights a fire in a person and makes them work hard to achieve their goals. He was a five star player and has talent and moves to good not to be able to help the team. He knows the system and what Cal wants, now it's up to him to as to how much he wants to play. We need him to be a major contributor next season, I hope it happens.
Oh I agree. My post was bashing SKJ but I don't think people realize how good Richards is . IN mocks for next year Bamba might be a top 5 pick but richards is a top 12ish pick as well. My point being we still have one stud at center and another with a ton of potential.

Reactions: katwest
No . He doesn't have a shot in hell to start over Richards. The difference between Richards and Bamba is the Bamba might be a once in life time defender and shot blocker where Richards will just be top 10 in college next season at it . Either is good though LOL. SKJ will be a nice back up he ain't starting over a Richards.
You sound like you are reading tarot cards. No one knows which players will shine next year...not even Cal.

SKJ is 6'10 with a 7'2 wingspan, 33" standing vertical, and 37" max vertical. Not bad physical measurements. I have no idea what kept him off the floor last year. Maybe its as simple as he was just further behind than Bam and Isaac. Hopefully he makes the same leap forward in his sophomore year that WCS made. He could still be very good for us this coming season.

Lol. Of course you would say this after Bamba chooses Texas. Prior to today you probably didn't give a rats @ss about the kid.

I can post whatever I want. I admit I was disappointed, but kid made his decision. I was actually excited about SKJ before season started, don't act like you know everything. I give a rats @ss about every player on UK team.

Reactions: BengalWACO

That announcement took me by surprise and more. I told myself years ago when at the last minute Ralph Sampson picked up a Virginia hat and ditched us. If asked and you got a honest answer Ralph probably would tell you he made a mistake. I wont bad mouth Bamba but his Name most likely wont be mentioned in mypost. I'll say this I wish him well, he is a honor student and liked Texas Business school. Now on to future news. Do we pursue Cam Johnson Or settle on Diallo's NBA decision. Your pretty good at this what you Got?

That announcement took me by surprise and more. I told myself years ago when at the last minute Ralph Sampson picked up a Virginia hat . If asked and you got a honest answer Ralph probably would tell you he made a mistake. I wont bad mouth Bamba but his Name most likely wont be mentioned in my post. I'll say this I wish him well, he is a honor student and liked Texas Business school. Now on to future news. Do we pursue Cam Johnson Or settle on Diallo's NBA decision. Your pretty good at this what you Got?

IMO,
I see Cal pushing them hard against each other during this summer and in early practice/ games because UK needs (HAS TO) to utilize them both next season.

Richards is not a can't miss automatic starter like Cousins, Davis, Noel or KAT were when he steps on campus. He's in that 2nd tier.

I can post whatever I want. I admit I was disappointed, but kid made his decision. I was actually excited about SKJ before season started, don't act like you know everything. I give a rats @ss about every player on UK team.

Yes, you are right. You can post whatever you want. All I was implying was the timing of this post (happened minutes after Bamba's decision). As for SKJ, we all hope the best for him. I personally want to see a kid stick around the program and value education/development here at the University of Kentucky. If SKJ follows that model, he'll be one of my favorite players.

Reactions: RickyAllen19
Richards' weak hands(seems to plague every one of our Bigs) and being prone to fouling a lot, will give SKJ an opportunity to either start or get lots of minutes early.

Richards is still very raw. He has all of the tools, but needs to improve his footwork, defensive positioning and receiving and passing the ball in the Post. Even rebounding the ball at this level requires strong hands, so his weak hands are a concern right now.

Reactions: BBN Catz 89
Yes, you are right. You can post whatever you want. All I was implying was the timing of this post (happened minutes after Bamba's decision). As for SKJ, we all hope the best for him. I personally want to see a kid stick around the program and value education/development here at the University of Kentucky. If SKJ follows that model, he'll be one of my favorite players.

I get what you mean. I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh. Agree with everything what you said. Next season is going to be interesting. Go Big Blue!

Oh I agree. My post was bashing SKJ but I don't think people realize how good Richards is . IN mocks for next year Bamba might be a top 5 pick but richards is a top 12ish pick as well. My point being we still have one stud at center and another with a ton of potential.

Well if it's in a mock draft for next year than it must be true.

I heard Draft Express just hired the Precogs from "Minority Report" to their staff.

SKJ was lost when he was on the floor, this past year. I think he is really talented, but, I also think that it probably took him an extra year, to get stronger and feel comfortable on the floor. It just takes some kids longer than others. We are use to freshmen coming right in and competing, but, we have to remember that not all kids progress at the same rate. People commenting about the improvement he was making, at the end of the year, seem to show this. I just believe that he was growing up, at the end of the year, and Cal had enough depth that he didn't want to put SKJ into a big game, and have him revert back. He may start, at least at the beginning of the year, and he and Richards should give us decent depth. Would I like to have Bamba? You bet, but, the cupboard is not exactly bare, either. Bamba not coming may end up forcing these two to improve, quickly, and could, possibly be the best thing for us. Who knows? Things happen for reasons.

I think people forget SKJ was slated to go to UVA early in his senior year then de-committed decided to come to UK, he nor the coaches expected him to be 1&Done. Hopefully he makes a big step forward this summer.

Uh he has more than a chance. SKJ not getting PT last year wasn't an ability issue. He shined bright during BBM and most of the early games where he got PT. Now he has a year under his belt. A year of practice against against division college bigs, a year of strength training, and a year under Cal and KP.

Add to that that Richards has been described as very raw and SKJ is very much in contention for the starting spot. If SKJ can rebound and block a few, he starts because he's ahead offensively already. If he can't do that Cal will have to see whether an offensive or defensive center wins more games with this group. If it's the latter, and SKJ turns out to not have developed defensively, then Richards starts.

Finally, Bamba is not a "once in a life time defender and shot blocker." Nerlens Noel and Anthony Davis say hi.

That highlight clip from early on kinda makes u wonder what the hell went wrong with him? But I too and excited to see what kinda damage he can do this year.

Reactions: RickyAllen19
Uh he has more than a chance. SKJ not getting PT last year wasn't an ability issue. He shined bright during BBM and most of the early games where he got PT. Now he has a year under his belt. A year of practice against against division college bigs, a year of strength training, and a year under Cal and KP.

Add to that that Richards has been described as very raw and SKJ is very much in contention for the starting spot. If SKJ can rebound and block a few, he starts because he's ahead offensively already. If he can't do that Cal will have to see whether an offensive or defensive center wins more games with this group. If it's the latter, and SKJ turns out to not have developed defensively, then Richards starts.

Finally, Bamba is not a "once in a life time defender and shot blocker." Nerlens Noel and Anthony Davis say hi.
Mo Bamba could not and never will be able to hold A Davis's jock...He and Nerlans are similar I believe.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest

Bamba was also a 7'0 foot player who wanted to play PF and play from the perimeter ala Skal. I am not saying we didn't need the kid, but I really don't see him doing much more than Skal did, he may be a better shot blocker.

I always felt like we were asking a lot getting him and Richards in the same year, I guess he thought so too.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Regardless of measurements, what separates guys on the court moreso than quick/slow, leaper or not, is their basketball IQ and instincts.

All of the guys are athletic, so guys look slow most of the time b/c of reaction not outright speed. I'm not saying physical attributes matter none, but I think too much is placed on them. Otherwise, you could just recruit every athletic freak and never lose.

Everyone seems to forget that SKJ and Gabriel are 5* players. We will be fine with Richards, SKJ, and Wynyard at center. Most of the All-Star games that I watched I was very impressed with Richards game underneath.

Bamba was also a 7'0 foot player who wanted to play PF and play from the perimeter ala Skal. I am not saying we didn't need the kid, but I really don't see him doing much more than Skal did, he may be a better shot blocker.

I always felt like we were asking a lot getting him and Richards in the same year, I guess he thought so too.
It's hard to tell if a player will flop as much as Skal did when he was here. But that is a good point.

I'll need to see it to believe it. Dude got almost zero burn last year with a thin frontcourt that was twice as thin as next years. Not sure why people are assuming he'll be a contributor.

Also, any insight on to WHY he got zero play last year? We all speculated.

Okay

As always you have NO clue what you are talking about.

SKJ has a year of experience in the system and offense. A year of an athletic training and diet. A year of confidence.
He will get the initial start. His to lose.

SKJ was the youngest player on the entire team this past year. He's ONLY 18. Doesn't turn 19 til August.

SKJ was the youngest player on the entire team this past year. He's ONLY 18. Doesn't turn 19 til August.

Yeah, he is crazy young, which I think factored in his limited PT. Not only was he less physically ready for the college game, but he also wasn't technically auditioning for the NBA either (because of the minimum age of 19). So if the kid had tendinitis, it's an easy choice to keep him on the bench to heal it off.

I'm not soaring on SKJ as an immediate impact player next year, but I'm also not totally down on him. His weaknesses are big trouble in the Cal system - he is lazy on defensive assignments, rebounds, and blocks. But his offensive game and physical metrics are game-ready. With a year of coaching and conditioning under his belt, I see no reason he won't play heavy minutes at the 5 next year if he stays healthy.

SKJ is 6'10 with a 7'2 wingspan, 33" standing vertical, and 37" max vertical. Not bad physical measurements. I have no idea what kept him off the floor last year. Maybe its as simple as he was just further behind than Bam and Isaac. Hopefully he makes the same leap forward in his sophomore year that WCS made. He could still be very good for us this coming season.

Didn't he have some type of health issue that kept him out of a few games? Maybe it was more serious than anyone knew. I posted in another thread but a friend of mine, who went to the open practice in Memphis during the NCAA tournament said he was one of the best players on the floor.

Yeah, he is crazy young, which I think factored in his limited PT. Not only was he less physically ready for the college game, but he also wasn't technically auditioning for the NBA either (because of the minimum age of 19). So if the kid had tendinitis, it's an easy choice to keep him on the bench to heal it off.

I'm not soaring on SKJ as an immediate impact player next year, but I'm also not totally down on him. His weaknesses are big trouble in the Cal system - he is lazy on defensive assignments, rebounds, and blocks. But his offensive game and physical metrics are game-ready. With a year of coaching and conditioning under his belt, I see no reason he won't play heavy minutes at the 5 next year if he stays healthy.

You only have to turn 19 the year of the draft.

While I'm not too critical of who Cal plays and doesn't play, I did think Cal played Monk too much when he clearly was having an off nite and played SKJ way too little. In the moments SKJ played I so an intensity to try and play well, he had an innate basketball knowledge, like he grew up playing the game. I most def wanted to see more of him and now we will, I bet

I don't think SKJ was a big disappointment last year, nor do I think Cal underutilized him. He was never projected to be a lottery pick. And he had Bam and maybe Hump expected to be ahead of him. I think Cal gave him opportunities early in the season in games to show if he deserved time later, when it counted more, and he wasn't ready (but Hump was).

I look for SKJ to improve slowly next season and be a solid third year player then go pro. He should be fun to watch develop.

BTW, I think the only disappointing player last year was Gabriel; I expected more than he gave.

ADVERTISEMENT