ADVERTISEMENT

Sacha Killeya-Jones to NC State

I thought Jones got a raw deal here. He seems like a class guy who I would like to see do well.
I would liked to have seen him get more minutes than he did, maybe things would have turned out differently. I have just never been a fan of those who leave for another school.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck but the kid seems a bit jumpy to me. Let's hope he can settle down and find his place at North Carolina State.

There is a 4 page discussion on SKJ and UK on one of U6's message board:

"What was I thinking when I suggested they might be good next season?

They'll likely be lucky to make the tournament. The only reason they ever win is because of officiating and their weak schedule. We'll beat them by 20 at the Yum because they suck."

hoops.gif
:gun:

After reading some of that [poop], then I hope SKJ shoves it up their asses every time NC State plays U6.

Sit one to play two? It's like the second they leave Kentucky they don't care about the NBA anymore. I think he could have been a factor next year and a force by his senior year. He showed some great improvement by tourney time, despite barely having a freshman year.

Oh well. I wish him Luck.. At least he'll help NCState against Duke and UNC.
Makes sense to me.

Transfers often happen here when players realize they aren't as good as they thought they were coming in. Once they realize they are going to have to play 4 years and may or may not make the league then it comes down to asking yourself if you're content being a role player on a great team and fighting to develop and get playing time while knowing the top talent is coming in every year and could regulate you back to spot minutes if you don't make big strides; or if you'd rather take a step down to a school that doesn't stockpile the best young talent in Nation yearly, thus ensuring you actually get to spend your final 2 years playing 20-35 minutes a game.

It's usually these guys realizing the NBA isn't as surefire of an option as they once thought it was and then leaving for guaranteed playing time. Sometimes gametime also equates greater development and that isn't always something easy to come by here.

Reactions: sjjones
I thought Cal treated him poorly. He was definitely deserving of more clock. Sacha has some skills and will do well at NC State.
You have no idea why Cal treated him the way he did. You don't know how he did in practice or what kind of attitude he presented in practice. To say Cal treated him poorly is not fair without knowing the whole story.

Reactions: track42
There is a 4 page discussion on SKJ and UK on one of U6's message board:

"What was I thinking when I suggested they might be good next season?

They'll likely be lucky to make the tournament. The only reason they ever win is because of officiating and their weak schedule. We'll beat them by 20 at the Yum because they suck."

hoops.gif
:gun:

After reading some of that [poop], then I hope SKJ shoves it up their asses every time NC State plays U6.

Imagine getting beat by 30 and still blaming the "officiating". And we had 8 Tournament teams in our conference in our "weak schedule", and even in the years where the SEC was down outside of UK & Florida, we've made it further in the NCAA Tournament than them every year since Cal has been here except one. Yep, we get such a "weak schedule" in the NCAA Tournament every season, given that barring a gift we failed to capitalize on last season, we're consistently in the toughest region in the bracket.

I'll grant them it's possible they could beat us in Yum if we lose 2 or 3 of our guys that are still mulling over their draft decisions, but I'm just flabbergasted by the lack of self-awareness from a fan base who just missed the tournament last season and lost most of the talent they actually had to begin with saying that we'll be the ones "Lucky to make the tournament."

Imagine getting beat by 30 and still blaming the "officiating". And we had 8 Tournament teams in our conference in our "weak schedule", and even in the years where the SEC was down outside of UK & Florida, we've made it further in the NCAA Tournament than them every year since Cal has been here except one. Yep, we get such a "weak schedule" in the NCAA Tournament every season, given that barring a gift we failed to capitalize on last season, we're consistently in the toughest region in the bracket.

I'll grant them it's possible they could beat us in Yum if we lose 2 or 3 of our guys that are still mulling over their draft decisions, but I'm just flabbergasted by the lack of self-awareness from a fan base who just missed the tournament last season and lost most of the talent they actually had to begin with saying that we'll be the ones "Lucky to make the tournament."
I wish I could like this 1,000 times!! [cheers]

You have no idea whether he gave him a legitimate chance. Were you at practice to see how he practiced or what type of attitude he displayed?
I know one thing, I saw enough of both Nick Richards and Jones to know that Sacha should have gotten every one of his minutes.

Look, some of you think Cal has never been wrong and every thing he does is perfect. That is just delusional thinking. He’s made many mistakes and he would be the first one to admit it.

It doesn’t matter now though. Jones is gone, and I wish him well.

Reactions: crpoore
I don't know about treated poorly, but he could've definitely taken some more of Richards minutes. Just because someone doesn't agree, you don't have to treat them like their ignorant. I think most people agree with him. Also, Cal has admitted to making mistakes, he isn't God. So relax don't do it, when you want to be a smartass. Think that's the way the song goes...
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
When it comes to basketball I will take Coach Cal over "most people" who agree with the previous poster. Richards was better last year than SKJ and I'm glad that he got those minutes because is still here and SKJ (who quit) is now gone.

Virginia board claims UVA, UNC and Pitt cancelled SKJ's visits and told him not to bother applying to their schools after viewing SKJ's transcripts.

I was set up to date Christie Brinkley once, but then I saw her in an interview. Whew!! Dodged that crazy b@tch bullet!

I liked Sasha, wished he had played more, but anyone who thinks Cal doesn't play his best players has an agenda. Maybe not one they are conscious of, but it's there. I also think when Sasha plays again, half this board will be crying about the talent that Cal chased away. I have no doubt his game will be much more developed than it is now. As it should be.

Good luck, young man. Hope your dreams happen for you.

Jones never impressed me at all. I started a thread a few months ago calling him transfer bait and was ridiculed for it. It was obvious, the guy has that look, like he's mentally immature and doesn't seem to be the most intelligent player. I know some will take issue with that statement but it's the way I see it and I'm not afraid to say it.

Reactions: Snackbar1130
Virginia board claims UVA, UNC and Pitt cancelled SKJ's visits and told him not to bother applying to their schools after viewing SKJ's transcripts.

Well, fwiw, it does appear to be true that UNC pulled its offer and Pitt/Uva cancelled visits. And, since all those things occurred almost simultaneously in mid-May right after Spring semester grades were released and transcripts sent out, it is logical to think it was probably because of a problem on his transcript.

But, whatever, it's all water under the bridge now since he found a good spot in NC State that did still want him, I hope he does really well there.

Last edited:
I know one thing, I saw enough of both Nick Richards and Jones to know that Sacha should have gotten every one of his minutes.

Look, some of you think Cal has never been wrong and every thing he does is perfect. That is just delusional thinking. He’s made many mistakes and he would be the first one to admit it.

It doesn’t matter now though. Jones is gone, and I wish him well.
You are just like me. We both know nothing about the situation. I at least don't get on this site and criticize Cal for something I know nothing about. Cal just like anyone else makes mistakes but he does not deserve being criticized for something you know nothing about. I am sure you loved Billy G when he was here. Maybe you could call Mitch and have Cal fired and get Billy G back. I am sure he is available.

ADVERTISEMENT