ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Lemond just said he's hearing PJ is closer to leaving than we think

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
He doesn't often go out on a limb and usually has reliable info. We've been hearing that from other sources too. I am definitely starting to get worried about this. We really have to stop the bleeding. He did say it's not a done deal yet though.

I also think this would be a big mistake by Washington. He does not handle the ball that well and does not have a great outside shot. Plus his size playing in the NBA would be suited for SF position. Hopefully he comes back and work on some of these weakness.

c4jt321.png

To be honest, I'm fine with guys leaving who are solid in all 1st round projections. But for guys who's best chance is to end up in the G-league or Europe, well, that's just silly and is beginning to be annoying. I know Cal can't make these kids stay, but for ones even he knows have no business leaving just yet, he and his staff should work a little bit harder on ways to convince them that they in fact should come back and get better before bolting.

It would be a real shame because PJ was one of the guys on an obvious upswing at the end of the year, really showing what he’s capable of. So he’s one of the rare cases who could put together a complete sophomore year markedly different from the average of his freshman season. If he leaves now, he’s selling himself short.

So far, all these kids have made the right decision. That gives me a certain confidence that when it gets down to reality, PJ will too. If he leaves, there is no way to spin it as the right decision.

By the way, don't lose sight of the fact that this is 'whip, churn, and spin' season for self-anointed 'journalists' with several platforms to feed from radio, to twitter and blogs. Saying, 'Yeah, I got nothing today' is not an option. Making something out of very, very little is much more profitable.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm fine with guys leaving who are solid in all 1st round projections. But for guys who's best chance is to end up in the G-league or Europe, well, that's just silly and is beginning to be annoying. I know Cal can't make these kids stay, but for ones even he knows have no business leaving just yet, he and his staff should work a little bit harder on ways to convince them that they in fact should come back and get better before bolting.

Exactly how I feel.

I'd watch Kentucky basketball if we were starting five 8th graders, so I'm not going to give up my fandom or anything kooky like that. When people say they're burned out on UK basketball because of one-and-dones I have to roll my eyes. That's idiotic. This is who we are.

BUT at some point your program does become kind of a parody of itself. When guys start leaving just because then you know the one-and-done (and two-and-leave-to-play-in-Estonia) situation has gone a tad haywire.

Can't consistently drive, can't shoot, not big enough to be a small ball 5. There's really no place in the NBA for someone like him until he can become a respectable three-point shooter unless he is fine with being a career bit/situational player off the bench. Don't really see what the hell he is thinking.

Well, the recommendations from the NBA is supposed to come early next week, so by this time next week, we should have a better handle on this. Unless they suprise everyone and give PJ more hope for the first round than anyone thinks, maybe he will see the light.

Reactions: Jazzycat

He does that. Cal says he should return and PJs dad thinks he should too. Ultimately he is an adult and its on him.

Cal has said it and so have former players: "It's hard". Some of these guys don't want to go through a 2nd or 3rd year of boot camp, so they take or consider taking the easier way out. Hope he stays.

See, this is something we shouldn't, as fans, have to be afraid of, but we are.
Vanderbilt, Washington and Wenyen have no business trying to go pro, but if they stay at UK another year or two they could end up signing first round contracts.
It's just ridiculous that we could lose one or all of those three players and then possibly see Quade Green transfer.
Next years team could be loaded with talent, but instead of being an epic team, it could end up being another young team that struggles.
We need experience.

Cal has said it and so have former players: "It's hard". Some of these guys don't want to go through a 2nd or 3rd year of boot camp, so they take or consider taking the easier way out. Hope he stays.

But the NBA isn't easier. In fact it would have to be so much harder it's basically in another universe.

Playing overseas would even be harder than that.

The where-are-they-now article that came out about Goodwin and Teague and Orton recently should be gleefully shared by Cal. This team we just saw was straight mediocre. We have a lot of weirdos in the fanbase, but we've also got people who've seen a lot of pros come through here in the last nine years. Many UK fans know what they're seeing when they look at some of these guys.

It was easy to see a lot of mediocrity on the court this past year. It was always called "youth," but it was also guys who just weren't even on the same plane as most of our other first-round picks.

We've entered an era of delusions of grandeur.

I like his game. Like his hustle. Like his intensity.

But, he needs to work on more moves besides the shoulder fake at the elbow followed by the drive, better rebounder on both ends, mid range jumper, and I won't mention free throws.

Hope he gets surgery and comes back. We need him.

Last edited:
But the NBA isn't easier. In fact it would have to be so much harder it's basically in another universe.

Playing overseas would even be harder than that.

The where-are-they-now article that came out about Goodwin and Teague and Orton recently should be gleefully shared by Cal. This team we just saw was straight mediocre. We have a lot of weirdos in the fanbase, but we've also got people who've seen a lot of pros come through here in the last nine years. Many UK fans know what they're seeing when they look at some of these guys.

It was easy to see a lot of mediocrity on the court this past year. It was always called "youth," but it was also guys who just weren't even on the same plane as most of our other first-round picks.

We've entered an era of delusions of grandeur.

Agree. I just think that has ALOT to do with guys leaving...."it's hard." The one's that have stayed have done very well for the most part.

I have said this a week ago. He wants to go. Doesn't mean he will but he really wants to

We hear this about every player, though.

And I'm sure it's true.

But it's kind of obvious. Of course they want to. That's why they come here.

I would say that 95% of high D1 players want to.

Kentucky has been able to keep at least some of these marginal players though. I'm sure they all wanted to...but a few didn't.

If they think Cal's boot camp is "too hard," they don't have the work ethic to make it in the NBA.
And we have seen a few of those kids not make it in the NBA. The NBA is supposed to give the players their feedback of where they stand next week. Hopefully when PJ hears mid-to-late 2nd round that he decides to come back.

Briscoe and Humphries didn't care one bit that they were unlikely to be drafted they just want to go. Hopefully PJ is not of the same mindset.... but it's looking like he is.

I can't see PJ leaving at all and believe it would be a mistake. You would have to hope if he makes that leap we go all out for the Reid Travis at Stanford. Reid would probably be a upgrade over PJ if we could get him.

I will believe it when I see it. Some radio guy who claims all of these inside sources tell him this or that. Naw. Unless he heard it from PJ's dad it is only talk. KSR needs to continue to stir the pot to keep listeners.

I would have to believe PJ will listen to his basketball coach dad. His dad should understand and give him solid advice. PJ will be back unless daddy is pushing him out and I don't believe that.

ADVERTISEMENT