ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Robbed Re: Ohio State Last Second Game Winner

• Thread starter anon_ce2llurbpkli4
  • Start date
Does anyone think this wouldn’t be reviewed if UK was in that position? I feel they review so much during our games.

The Rutgers player is fouling the shit out of the guy. Riding him out of bounds. The OSU player gets around him and the defender is still pushing him with his body.

Not a good sequence of officiating all around.
I love when refs call nickel dimers all game then when you get in the final minute or 2 no whistles at all and it’s football.

Looks like he had his right foot down and his left foot off the ground before he catches the pass.

edit to clarify he established his right foot in bounds and had his left foot off the ground. Ive watched it several times pausing and he looks in to me.

Last edited:
On a side note, Chris Holtmann continues to underwhelm as H/C of OSU. And you just know he's on Barney's short list to replace Calipari when the day comes.

Looks like he had his right foot down and his left foot off the ground before he catches the pass.

edit to clarify he established his right foot in bounds and had his left foot off the ground. Ive watched it several times pausing and he looks in to me.
Doesn’t matter if he starts OOB he can’t be the first person to catch the ball.

That absolutely terrible, not only did the guy with the ball go out of bounds but the guy who made the shot started OOB and caught the ball first for the shot.
Was fouled, no call, was outta bounds, no call, didn't re-establish, no call.

And some on her wonder why so many on here think refs are crooked AF. Miss one? Maybe and you're bad at your job, miss all 3 and you're a crooked mfkr.

Reactions: pauled and Wonky
Was fouled, no call, was outta bounds, no call, didn't re-establish, no call.

And some on her wonder why so many on here think refs are crooked AF. Miss one? Maybe and you're bad at your job, miss all 3 and you're a crooked mfkr.

Or just so completely incompetent that the NCAA has no justification for keeping you employed other than that you have incriminating photos of Mark Emmert and a donkey or something.

I’m not sure which is more plausible. But either scenario is corrupt AF.

Reactions: precipitance
Doesn’t matter if he starts OOB he can’t be the first person to catch the ball.
That's a football rule your quoting. If you look in the twitter feed someone screen shots the basketball rule. He just needed to re-establish himself in bounds. We can debate if he did that or not. The angle from across the court looks like he did, though he could have been on the line? Right foot down in bounds, left foot is up and almost touching down in bounds, then the ball arrives. The ref had a great angle to tell if he was on the line or not. What we can all agree on is, the refs missed at least one call. The initial ball handler was on the line before the pass. In twitter feed someone has an angle right behind that player. Should have been Rutgers game.

Edit: for anyone who cares: I used VirtualDub2 to go frame by frame. LosslessCut is also great software for this type of things. They are both free.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Ref shoulda given the players more space but touching a ref OOB constitutes an OOB if I understand the rule right.

Not sure. When reading this it mentions the ball.

The ball shall be out of bounds when IT touches a player who is out of bounds, any other person, the floor or any object on or outside a boundary, the supports or back of the backboard, or the ceiling or overhead equipment.

-In this situation the ball never hit the referee, the player did. Crazy rule if it means that merely touching a ref who has one foot OOB and one in-bounds makes you OOB as well.

Last edited:
Make your free throws and then you're not leaving it up to the officials to bail you out.

Reactions: Wonky
Not sure. When reading this it mentions the ball.

The ball shall be out of bounds when IT touches a player who is out of bounds, any other person, the floor or any object on or outside a boundary, the supports or back of the backboard, or the ceiling or overhead equipment.

-In this situation the ball never hit the referee, the player did. Crazy rule if it means that merely touching a ref who has one foot OOB and one in-bounds makes you OOB as well.
I think you're right, I was looking at a FIBA rule apparently. The FIBA rule says anything other than a player and does not specify person which would exclude the ref.

FIBA:
23.1.1 A player is out-of-bounds when any part of his body is in contact with the floor or any object other than a player, on, above or outside the boundary line.

NCAA:
Art. 1. A player shall be out of bounds when he touches the floor or any object other than a person on or outside a boundary line. An airborne player’s status shall be where he was last in contact with the floor.

That's a football rule your quoting. If you look in the twitter feed someone screen shots the basketball rule. He just needed to re-establish himself in bounds. We can debate if he did that or not. The angle from across the court looks like he did, though he could have been on the line? Right foot down in bounds, left foot is up and almost touching down in bounds, then the ball arrives. The ref had a great angle to tell if he was on the line or not. What we can all agree on is, the refs missed at least one call. The initial ball handler was on the line before the pass. In twitter feed someone has an angle right behind that player. Should have been Rutgers game.

Edit: for anyone who cares: I used VirtualDub2 to go frame by frame. LosslessCut is also great software for this type of things. They are both free.
Exactly he has to be restablished inbound, I’m almost 99% that if a person runs OOB they can’t be the first person to catch a pass. I can remember specifically a game where we inbounded to a guy who did that and it was a turnover.

Here is what I found for a quick google search. It is only a violation if a player steps out of bounds and then is the first player to touch it after coming back inbounds. If a player has the ball and steps out of bounds, it's a turnover and the other team gets the ball.

Next to rooferee he is the most corrupt official of all time.

When I was a kid, folks used to bitch about John Clougherty. He was a saint compared to these criminals Ayers, Sirmons, Shows, TV Teddy, etc.
Refs are just flat awful today, if you watch a game between any different conference you will see games called every different way. I believe that’s why when the tournament comes around the crew you get matters more then location.

Exactly he has to be restablished inbound, I’m almost 99% that if a person runs OOB they can’t be the first person to catch a pass. I can remember specifically a game where we inbounded to a guy who did that and it was a turnover.
You can be first to touch it IIRC, you just have to have had both feet in bounds before touching it. E.g. you can't jump from out of bounds and catch it before both feet have landed and you can't catch it if only one foot was down in bounds.

The angle I saw wasn't great but it looked like he hadn't re-established based on what I saw.

You can be first to touch it IIRC, you just have to have had both feet in bounds before touching it. E.g. you can't jump from out of bounds and catch it before both feet have landed and you can't catch it if only one foot was down in bounds.

The angle I saw wasn't great but it looked like he hadn't re-established based on what I saw.
Yes that is in the rule book but what I don’t understand is this rule right here.

It is only a violation if a player steps out of bounds and then is the first player to touch it after coming back inbounds. If a player has the ball and steps out of bounds, it's a turnover and the other team gets the ball.

In that case would it be a player let’s say running on an inbounds and he crosses out of bounds and then comes in to accept the inbound? I took it as meaning he’s the first person to accept the pass from the PG and he went OOB as well, he may not have even met the established rule but I thought as soon as he went OOB he couldn’t be the one to get that pass.

Yes that is in the rule book but what I don’t understand is this rule right here.

It is only a violation if a player steps out of bounds and then is the first player to touch it after coming back inbounds. If a player has the ball and steps out of bounds, it's a turnover and the other team gets the ball.

In that case would it be a player let’s say running on an inbounds and he crosses out of bounds and then comes in to accept the inbound?
Section 3. Player Out of Bounds
Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under the player's own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.
a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-4.6b, does not receive the pass along the end line from a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after returning to the playing court.

Yep just checked clear violation to the rule but I can't recall that EVER being called. They always enforce it the way I stated above. Either way though, I found a better angle and he didn't get both feet down before touching it coming back in bounds. So by rule it was a violation and by the way I've seen it enforced it was a violation.

Edit: that 7-4.6b is referring to an in bounds play where the player is oob, so has no affect here.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Section 3. Player Out of Bounds
Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under the player's own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.
a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-4.6b, does not receive the pass along the end line from a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after returning to the playing court.

Yep just checked clear violation to the rule but I can't recall that EVER being called. They always enforce it the way I stated above. Either way though, I found a better angle and he didn't get both feet down before touching it coming back in bounds. So by rule it was a violation and by the way I've seen it enforced it was a violation.

Edit: that 7-4.6b is referring to an in bounds play where the player is oob, so has no affect here.
I thought so, I swear I distinctly remember a game where we inbounded a ball to a player who was OOB and they called it when he stepped back in to get it. It was under Cal for sure, I don’t think it was that long ago. Maybe the Maxey team.

I thought so, I swear I distinctly remember a game where we inbounded a ball to a player who was OOB and they called it when he stepped back in to get it. It was under Cal for sure, I don’t think it was that long ago. Maybe the Maxey team.
Travesty. I understand reffing is a hard job, but this is a billion+ dollar industry, no reason refs can't be full time employees that train all year and are held accountable. At the very least for power 5 conferences and any games they participate in ooc.

They should probably also be athletes themselves who have quick reaction times and aren't so old they are on a mental and steep physical decline.

He only had one foot down at most. The more the we look at the rule v/s the actual event the worst the refs come off. That being said, that all happened in under 5 seconds. Missed Foul, out of bounds passser, and a non-reestablished shooter.

Reactions: Lempface
Should have been a foul called on the defender for knocking him out of bounds so I see this as justice.
Was a great ending in my book and I loved every secoind of it.

Reactions: precipitance
This is why you don't foul up 3 with 5.8 seconds left that was stupid on Rutgers part they fouled in back court if you foul too early instead of being a win or a tie it can become a loss and that is what happened.

I found a reference to the game your may be thinking of, Hagans to Herro?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT