ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters All-Time NBA Legends GM Draft

GonzoCat90

All-American
Mar 30, 2009
Since the current NBA season is still going on and the draft class isn't even official yet, we'll push the annual GM Scratch Draft back until June/July.

In the meantime, these have been fun in the past. For those unfamiliar, here's how it works:

We draft from a pool of every NBA player, past and current, to build the team that would win a best of 7 playoff style format against the other drafted teams.

The draft would likely be 12 teams (we can do more or less depending on interest), with a randomized draft order, snake style. 10 rounds. Owners have a maximum of 12 hours per pick. When that time expires, the next person is automatically on the clock. If you time out twice, you're removed from the draft and your team is given to an alternate.

Last time, we named a specific year for that player, but I think it was cumbersome and unnecessary. This time, we'll be drafting the totality of a player's career. The way that person is generally recognized and remembered, so one guy who averaged 50 per game for one season and never got off the bench again isn't someone you want to take.

There are no position requirements or limitations. No coaches will be drafted.

When we finish drafting, we'll randomize the matchups and let voters choose which teams advance until a champion is crowned. if someone wants to run a 2k simulation for these playoff series, that would be cool too.

If you're interested, please reply in a way that makes it clear so that there is no confusion.

Owners so far:
1.Gonzo
2. BigBlueGA
3. Aike
4. DrCats2003
5. NickHorvathIsBelowAverage
6. WooObrzut
7. NkyCatfan
8. Pizza Slice
9. Cowtown Cat
10. UK Norse
11. Hotelblue
12. Jwhite

Last edited:
Also, if you have any questions or suggestions, let's hash them out here.

Whoever drafts Jordan wins.

Are we going to only match his team up with teams who have never won a title or that are old and on the decline? If so, you're right. It'll be just like real life.

On a serious note, should we take him out? Will it skew the voting that much?

Reactions: 420grover
Go ahead and stick me in there...less research involved so shouldn’t be as time consuming.

Also it’s really cool how Jordan won a title every single season he played, from 1985 til 2000 and whatever. Go ahead and get the trash talking started pre-draft. [laughing]

Wait. I thought this was Runt's idea?

Cheap shot. He was pretty creative and you ripped his idea.

Wait. I thought this was Runt's idea?

Cheap shot. He was pretty creative and you ripped his idea.

Runt was starting the annual draft we've been doing for 4-5 years now a month too early.

Since it's too early for that, I'm starting this to do in the meantime. I'm positive I didn't invent the concept, but I introduced both drafts here several years ago.

Runt was starting the annual draft we've been doing for 4-5 years now a month too early.

Since it's too early for that, I'm starting this to do in the meantime. I'm positive I didn't invent the concept, but I introduced both drafts here several years ago.

So he jumped on it early and this is a counter strike?

Dang. I've been hammered with the flu the past few days so I was late to the boat. If someone drops out I would like to be the first alternate.

In my opinion, you should either take Jordan out, or have every team with Jordan on it. Any time there is one player like him that tilts the scales it makes the entire process futile and frustrating.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Everyone cool with going to 14 to add Gossie and Miracle7s?

I think we should probably cap it there though. Maybe if 6-8 more people want in we can break it into two drafts of 10 and let the winners face off.

Reactions: DraftCat
Dang. I've been hammered with the flu the past few days so I was late to the boat. If someone drops out I would like to be the first alternate.

In my opinion, you should either take Jordan out, or have every team with Jordan on it. Any time there is one player like him that tilts the scales it makes the entire process futile and frustrating.

I like both ideas.

I don't think Jordan actually makes any one team this unstoppable favorite, especially in a draft this deep with this much talent, but the perception of him is so strong it skews the results.

I'm in favor of taking him out, but am open to feedback from everyone else.

I don’t see how it’s too early to do a GM draft but it’s cool to do the all time too.

I like both ideas.

I don't think Jordan actually makes any one team this unstoppable favorite, especially in a draft this deep with this much talent, but the perception of him is so strong it skews the results.

Take him out.

I don’t see how it’s too early to do a GM draft but it’s cool to do the all time too.

Because once it's done, it's done. The original point was a time-waster through the dog days of summer. We could have it in February if we really wanted to, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

From a draft integrity perspective (not that this game matters or is worth anything) it's also best to do it when the season is over, no teams are currently playing to influence people, no injuries can occur, and we know who has been drafted in real life and is therefore in the NBA and available to draft.

I say leave him in. Jordan may be the GOAT but let's not act like he's unbeatable

I like both ideas.

Out

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I like both ideas.

So Jordan must be taken out because too many perceive him to be the best and LeBron boys don't like it?

I'm picking first.

Bill Lambier

Are we good at 14?

What are we doing with Jordan? Take him out?

I'll randomize the order tomorrow morning once everything is hashed out tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT