ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Arena From The Eyes

Sawnee Cat

All-American
Aug 18, 2007
Florida Gulf Coast
of a non UK fan before his first game in the arena.

Often we as fans take Rupp Arena for granted and often complain about our fans and how they cheer or don't cheer or how they make noise or do not make noise. Sometimes we just don't understand or appreciate what we have.

The other night my wife and daughter were eating at a nice restaurant in Roswell, GA. A group of about 5 or 6 walked in and were seated at the table right next to them. The conversation started and it was a little loud after a few drinks so my wife could hear what they were talking about.

A gentleman asked the table have you ever been to Rupp Arena in Lexington for UK game. The answer no. His went on to say a very close friend had given him tickets a few rows behind the UK bench for the Missouri game. He said that experience changed him for life when it came to college basketball. He said he has never been a college basketball fan but there was no experience at any sporting event that could top that. He said it was like a Super Bowl or National Championship football game. He was sold and said if his team, Georgia, approached basketball half as good as UK fans it would be the most exciting sport in Athens.

My wife and daughter just smiled and said, we have known that all of our life. UK basketball fans, we have something so special even a non fan can understand and appreciate it when inside those holy walls of Rupp Arena. It is special.

Originally posted by ThroughBlue:

Dont tell that to the people that don't think Rupp gives us an advantage.
So true. The truth is the record at Rupp speaks for itself and perhaps our fans don't know that but every opponent does. Not only does it give us an advantage it often brings the best out in our opponents. Some of our opponents have played the game of their life at Rupp. It rises to another level. And some have played their worst. But no matter it certainly is a special place and most college basketball fans want to attend at least one game their before they check out of this world.

I think we do lose track of just how great Rupp and its crowd is for college basketball games. The old take for granted adage. It's a great place and I love being in there for every home game and doesn't matter to me that I sit in the nose bleeds.

Originally posted by ORCAT:
I think we do lose track of just how great Rupp and its crowd is for college basketball games. The old take for granted adage. It's a great place and I love being in there for every home game and doesn't matter to me that I sit in the nose bleeds.
I watched ESPN Sports Center after the Missouri game. It was held at Rupp. You could tell the way the hosts of the show acted that they knew they were in a special place. It was the greatest infomercial UK has had in years. It may be the best focus ESPN has done on UK basketball by capturing how special Rupp and the Kentucky program are. If it didn't get a UK fan fired up then they must be brain dead.

I don't have too many issues with Rupp. I know that will be an unpopular position here because everybody wants a new Big Blue Yum Center-type arena. Personally, the NBA arenas (like the Yum) don't have much in the way of character. I like the Allen Field House, Freedom Hall type places with history and character.
Rupp has hosted a Final Four, numerous State Championships and seen performances by some of the best to ever play college basketball. Heck, I don't even mind the bleacher seats. If I wanted to watch a UK game and kick back in a LazyBoy, I'd just stay home.
Does the old building need some cosmetic upgrades? Of course but, don't we all!
Getting rid of Big Bertha seems to be a no-brainer and should have been done years ago. Rupp deserves a state of the art sound system. Beyond that, maybe improve Wi-Fi reception in the building. People always complain about the concourses at Rupp. I was in the old RCA Dome in Indy back in '97 at the Final Four. Talk about tight concourses! Yeah, I know, the RCA Dome is also long gone but, it was built after Rupp and primarily for football. So, apparently the idea of super-wide concourses wasn't that important.
Finally, the real problem with Rupp seems to be the lack of luxury boxes. Of course that doesn't affect me personally but, apparently some feel we need those from a stature standpoint. Rupp makes a ton of money for both the City and UK. Could it be better? Of course but, we need to hang onto some history instead of trading it in on the newest, flashiest thing that comes along.

Originally posted by Blueworld_3.0:
I don't have too many issues with Rupp. I know that will be an unpopular position here because everybody wants a new Big Blue Yum Center-type arena. Personally, the NBA arenas (like the Yum) don't have much in the way of character. I like the Allen Field House, Freedom Hall type places with history and character.
Rupp has hosted a Final Four, numerous State Championships and seen performances by some of the best to ever play college basketball. Heck, I don't even mind the bleacher seats. If I wanted to watch a UK game and kick back in a LazyBoy, I'd just stay home.
Getting rid of Big Bertha seems to be a no-brainer and should have been done years ago. Rupp deserves a state of the art sound system. Beyond that, maybe improve Wi-Fi reception in the building. People always complain about the concourses at Rupp. I was in the old RCA Dome in Indy back in '97 at the Final Four. Talk about tight concourses! Yeah, I know, the RCA Dome is also long gone but, it was built after Rupp and primarily for football. So, apparently the idea of super-wide concourses wasn't that important.
Finally, the real problem with Rupp seems to be the lack of luxury boxes. Of course that doesn't affect me personally but, apparently some feel we need those from a stature standpoint. Rupp makes a ton of money for both the City and UK. Could it be better? Of course but, we need to hang onto some history instead of trading it in on the newest, flashiest thing that comes along.
This!

The home court advantage is the crowd, not the building. The advantage could be even greater if the building were designed for basketball where the crowd was much closer to the floor. The building itself is old and basically worn out. No amount of remodeling can change that. It can be covered up but it is still old and not designed with modern technology or standards. People let their hearts get in the way of good sense when they talk about replacing/remodeling. Rupp Arena has outlived its usefulness and should be torn down and replaced with a new modern arena with all the facilities that a the greatest program on earth deserves.

A co-worker of mine, who is an Ohio State fan is going to his first UK game tomorrow night. Even though he has nose bleed seats, I will be interested in his opinion of the Big Blue Experience. I will be there too but sitting in a different section. We will probably meet them for dinner beforehand and maybe drinks afterward.

Rupp is great. Count me out of the "bitchy" crowd that wants it torn down. I've got great memories in that place.

The new NBA arenas are just that. For the NBA. I go to the FedEx forum to watch the Grizz play and nearly fall asleep while sitting in a resturaunt style section eating steak. It's bad for the college experience.

I love college gyms. Rupp, Allen, Cameron etc........ I'll take these all day long over NBA style arenas.

Originally posted by KentuckyRLD:

The home court advantage is the crowd, not the building. The advantage could be even greater if the building were designed for basketball where the crowd was much closer to the floor. The building itself is old and basically worn out. No amount of remodeling can change that. It can be covered up but it is still old and not designed with modern technology or standards. People let their hearts get in the way of good sense when they talk about replacing/remodeling. Rupp Arena has outlived its usefulness and should be torn down and replaced with a new modern arena with all the facilities that a the greatest program on earth deserves.
What really amazes me about Rupp is that it is 38+ years old. Stop and think about that for a minute, Rupp holds more people than the largest NBA arena, now. Teams in '76 must have been in absolute awe when they walked in. Rupp is just a special place.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
Originally posted by KentuckyRLD:

What really amazes me about Rupp is that it is 38+ years old. Stop and think about that for a minute, Rupp holds more people than the largest NBA arena, now. Teams in '76 must have been in absolute awe when they walked in. Rupp is just a special place.
Following up with what you said, here is a list of the 15 largest basketball arenas. They have Rupp #2 behind the Carrier Dome but how can you call a dome stadium a basketball arena?

Largest Basketball Arenas on Earth

Until the NCAA quits asking Lexington to host couple rounds of the tourney, Im going to treat everything I hear about how outdated, etc..it is, as a opinion no facts..cause I truely believe NCAA would quit asking if it was soooooooooooo outdated

The people complaining about Rupp are the thirty-somethings who have penis envy over the YUM Center

It's nothing more than that and the fact they can't afford to sit in the prime seats and have to hunker down in the uppers until somebody whose supported the university for decades passes on and they earn enough points to get a better spot in the lowers

It's just petty jealousy, either of UveL or somebody else's success

Piss on 'em, I say

Originally posted by Sawnee Cat:

He was sold and said if his team, Georgia, approached basketball half as good as UK fans it would be the most exciting sport in Athens.
A perfect observation that reveals why SEC basketball as a whole might never be anything special. Most all of these schools have zillions of dollars from football and could, at the drop of a hat, build arenas to match their monolithic football stadiums (a few have, including South Carolina and Tennessee). Most are situated in fertile recruiting areas that, if properly tapped, could sustain a winning program. Likewise, any of them could throw serious money at good coaching candidates and lure them to campus.

The key, I believe, is in the fanbases. Perhaps the athletic administrations take their cues from the fans themselves, because even when these schools do taste some success, it seems to go mostly unnoticed by the legions who show up for their football games. Then, it's gone, and it's back to square one for the basketball program itself. My contention is that the zeitgeist, the culture or atmosphere that helps to sustain a program- and is primarily driven by fan interest- is just not there. That animating spirit described by the OP's anecdote is simply absent at both the administrative and fan levels, and until it's somehow manufactured, it will always be life as usual for the SEC come basketball season.

Florida seems to be a curious exception, but really one that proves the rule. Donovan has stayed and thrived not because of the atmosphere in Gainesville, but in spite of it.

Back in 1976, when I was a young cameraman/audio neophyte at Wlex Tv, I had the task of placing some banners in a brand new Rupp Arena. Can anyone guess what the first event in Rupp was?

Originally posted by Katsure:
Back in 1976, when I was a young cameraman/audio neophyte at Wlex Tv, I had the task of placing some banners in a brand new Rupp Arena. Can anyone guess what the first event in Rupp was?
A concert, wasn't it?

Strangely, it was Lawrence Welk and his champagne band who performed at Rupp in its debut.

Strangely, it was Lawrence Welk and his champagne band who performed at Rupp in its debut.
In an ironic twist, "Night of the Living Dead" was showing down the street at the Kentucky Theater.

Originally posted by Blueworld_3.0:
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Samwise Ganjee:
The people complaining about Rupp are the thirty-somethings who have penis envy over the YUM Center

It's nothing more than that and the fact they can't afford to sit in the prime seats and have to hunker down in the uppers until somebody whose supported the university for decades passes on and they earn enough points to get a better spot in the lowers

It's just petty jealousy, either of UveL or somebody else's success

Piss on 'em, I say
Agree, SG. I watched it as it was built. Had the pleasure of climbing down the ladder to get to the dirt floor of what is now the most famous basketball floor and arena in the world.

Count me as one of those who would never have it torn down. A huge, huge amount of our history rests in that structure. Newer is not always better.

Originally posted by Rush2112 UK:

In an ironic twist, "Night of the Living Dead" was showing down the street at the Kentucky Theater.
roll.r191677.gif

I was on board with the "build one bigger and better" crowd, but I've changed my mind. Rupp is just the right size, just polish her up a bit, modernize the sound systems and whatever other technology that needs improvement. Paint those darn ducts Blue and do something with the concourses. From '82 to my last visit a couple of years ago, I think Rupp is holding up well. It's history and mystique are important to UK, the BBN and college basketball.

Originally posted by Blouman:
Lawrence Welk?!? Damn I can't believe I missed THAT show.
I was there! I was only 10 years old. My dad took me and my Great Grandmother who was a huge LW fan. I just went because I wanted to go to the new arena. My dad took me to see KISS in Rupp the following year. Quite a different show.

Update and renovate as much as is feasible but hold on to the old girl as long as we can. I have been in Yum and I have been in Banker's Life several times. They are very nice and more modern than Rupp. We could build one even nicer than those but so could anybody else. The history, respect and nostalgia there are synonymous with Rupp can never be duplicated by anybody else.

I have been to all but four or five SEC basketball arenas most when UK was playing. But I have attended Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama when UK was not the opponent. It is like night and day. When UK plays it is the most important game of the season,. Throw out the record of UK they hate us just the same if we are ranked Top 5 as when we are unranked. When UK is not the opponent it is a different feeling and more like a high school game.

But Rupp is special because of several factors. The fans make it like a rock concert, the tradition of the program that goes back almost 100 years, the building itself and its location. It is in the center of hotels, bars and restaurants as well as shops. Bring in 24 - 25,000 fans and a visitor in the arena is overwhelmed. The fans are there for a victory and think the team will be victorious no matter who the opponent. The fans enthusiasm is overwhelming. That is what happened to the man in Roswell, GA who came for a visit. His life and perspective of UK basketball was changed forever. He had never experienced anything like that in his life at a sporting event.

As fans let's never forget or not appreciate what we have. No other program can match it. Not Duke, not North Carolina, not Indiana, not UCLA and especially not UL. We are blessed because our foundation is solid and the wrecking ball of our critics can not bring it down.

I was on board with the "build one bigger and better" crowd, but I've changed my mind. Rupp is just the right size, just polish her up a bit, modernize the sound systems and whatever other technology that needs improvement. Paint those darn ducts Blue and do something with the concourses. From '82 to my last visit a couple of years ago, I think Rupp is holding up well. It's history and mystique are important to UK, the BBN and college basketball.
I agree with this 100%. Please clean and repaint those freaking ducts. People who have never sat near the top in the upper arena probably don't realize how bad those things look. Also need to get rid of Big Bertha and put up a modern scoreboard and double the size of the video monitors in the upper arena. Do this and Rupp would be perfect IMO.

On a personal note I'd just like to give a shout out to all those great, great fans that have seats in the top of Rupp. I retired in 2002 and scored 2 season tix that same year thru the lottery. My tix are at the very top of Rupp, row KK and I love it up there although the climb up there gets a little harder each passing year. I drive 140 miles one way and have only missed maybe 5 games since I've had the tickets. Have made a lot of good friends, all of whom truly love the Cats . GO BIG BLUE!!!

This post was edited on 1/20 12:10 PM by stringmusiccat

Originally posted by stringmusiccat:

On a personal note I'd just like to give a shout out to all those great, great fans that have seats in the top of Rupp. I retired in 2002 and scored 2 season tix that same year thru the lottery. My tix are at the very top of Rupp, row KK and I love it up there although the climb up there gets a little harder each passing year. I drive 140 miles one way and have only missed maybe 5 games since I've had the tickets. Have made a lot of good friends, all of whom truly love the Cats . GO BIG BLUE!!!

This post was edited on 1/20 12:10 PM by stringmusiccat
^^^ This is why I say the best fans at UK games are in the upper deck. It's a great experience. You'll meet lots of good, down to earth folks in the upper deck and most are 10x more passionate than the hoity-toity crowd that look down their noses at you in the lower arena. Don't like the hard bleachers? Just take a UK seat cushion and all is well. Taking in a live event is NOT supposed to be like sitting in your recliner at home. It's a sensory experience and Rupp never fails to deliver.

ADVERTISEMENT