ADVERTISEMENT

Roundball to gridiron

Good catch.

I remember reading about UK's interest in him as a recruit, pretty serious if he had an offer. Sounded like he was a possibility for us then AND sounded like a pretty good prospect, doubt if Urban would still be that interested.

Have to sit a year and get in the football groove again.

Reactions: hunterpapa
Was just about to post something on here about him.
Intriguing to say the least but would we want to pursue him only having one year of eligibility?

Not sure what prompted me to do this, but a few weeks ago out of sheer boredom and curiosity I checked out a few random Rivals sites, including Iowa. Anyway, browsing through their discussion threads, it became apparent there are a lot of unhappy fans regarding Iowa basketball. Their program is clearly not going in the right direction. This may very well have contributed to his decision to quit Iowa BB.

He never redshirted as a basketball player but could he consider his true freshman year as a redshirt year for football since it is a different sport, giving him two years of football eligibility?

He never redshirted as a basketball player but could he consider his true freshman year as a redshirt year for football since it is a different sport, giving him two years of football eligibility?

Doesn't the five year clock start whether you are playing football or not? He was in the 15 class, so three years gone, he will lose year if he transfers here (not near a sick relative) and only have one year left------I think.

Doesn't the five year clock start whether you are playing football or not? He was in the 15 class, so three years gone, he will lose year if he transfers here (not near a sick relative) and only have one year left------I think.

You are correct, once he enrolls he has 5 years of eligibility. Of course there is the medical hardships that allow a 6th in some cases and I believe BYU where all students not named Jim McMahan are required to do a 2 year mission, which is why they have quite a few 24 year olds, unless that rule has been revoked.

Reactions: cat888

As I understand the rules now, while a transfer can no longer request a waiver of the one year sit out rule due to a sick relative, he can request a waiver of the 5 to play 4 rule due to a sick relative. If granted he would have 6 to play 4 and thus two years of fb eligibility remaining.

Last edited:
You are correct, once he enrolls he has 5 years of eligibility. Of course there is the medical hardships that allow a 6th in some cases and I believe BYU where all students not named Jim McMahan are required to do a 2 year mission, which is why they have quite a few 24 year olds, unless that rule has been revoked.
Grump... kids who are LDS are not required to do a church mission , but a lot of them do. Steve Young was LDS and his great-great grandfather was Brigham Young and he never served a mission because the coaches and leaders felt he was a better ambassador for the church with the notoriety he brought to the team, school and church. Some kids who play for BYU today certainly are not members , but still must sign the honor code agreement and I'm sure Jim McMahan did, I'm sure not all totally abide by it.

Grump... kids who are LDS are not required to do a church mission , but a lot of them do. Steve Young was LDS and his great-great grandfather was Brigham Young and he never served a mission because the coaches and leaders felt he was a better ambassador for the church with the notoriety he brought to the team, school and church. Some kids who play for BYU today certainly are not members , but still must sign the honor code agreement and I'm sure Jim McMahan did, I'm sure not all totally abide by it.

thx, makes sense for non LDS kids not requred to go on mission. But being Brigham Young's grandson probably had more to do with getting him out of going on a mission. BYU just signed a pretty good qb prospect who is LDS and going on missiion before he enrolls,. But this is really what I was talking about, I was talking about exceptions of having 5 years to get in 4 years of elgiblity. When BYU kids go on mission, their eligibility clock stops and restarts 2 years later, giving them as many as 7 years to get in their 4 years, and possibility 8 if a medical RS gets approved. But they usually have several guys 24 or so on their team.

As I understand the rules now, while a transfer can no longer request a waiver of the one year sit out rule due to a sick relative, he can request a waiver of the 5 to play 4 rule due to a sick relative. If granted he would have 6 to play 4 and thus two years of fb eligibility remaining.

But does he even have a sick relative? I could claim I am sick (no mental jokes, please) but I am not related and too far away anyway, although not in the middle of he Pacific Ocean.

"But does he even have a sick relative?" Heck if I know! Just trying to clarify the current rule.

Don't like the rule? Not anything I can do about that.

thx, makes sense for non LDS kids not requred to go on mission. But being Brigham Young's grandson probably had more to do with getting him out of going on a mission. BYU just signed a pretty good qb prospect who is LDS and going on missiion before he enrolls,. But this is really what I was talking about, I was talking about exceptions of having 5 years to get in 4 years of elgiblity. When BYU kids go on mission, their eligibility clock stops and restarts 2 years later, giving them as many as 7 years to get in their 4 years, and possibility 8 if a medical RS gets approved. But they usually have several guys 24 or so on their team.
Let me say this again because I don't think you got it...LDS young men who attend BYU are NOT REQUIRED to go on a mission, but you are correct about the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT