ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Situation as of now

Yeah Hagans is more clearly going to be on the team then Gabriel , PJ and Vando . IMO the team ends up looking like this

Green/Hagans/KJ/EJ/PJ with Quick , Herro , Richards , and Vanderbilt playing a ton as well and Baker sorta being the odd man out but on nights where the SEC refs are going wild he will play a lot as well and there is always injuries to consider . Also I still think Wiseman might reclassify in August . I will have to see him not to believe it as why would you not want to play 2 years of college instead of 1 year of HS and 1 year of college ? Just doesn't make sense to me as one gets you way more ready to be the #1 pick in 2020 draft .
Listen up son, first off Wiseman has not sign with kentucky, he has said over and over not going to reclass are you that stupid or what.

I don’t entirely agree with this statement. Declaring for the draft isn’t what it used to be. They may all 3 want to be playing pro right now but declaring without an agent doesn’t in itself indicate that. It’s simply the first chance these guys have had to speak to nba people directly about how they are looked at by nba teams. I’ll admit, PJ’s dad has made some comments that seem to be leaning towards wanting to leave, which I still think is a bone-headed move. But Vanderbilt for one, has done nothing other than declare to show that he has a foot out the door already. And I honestly think he just wants some feedback.
I understand what declaring for the draft is, and while the only person to publically state anything about leaving is PJ's dad (PJ is the player we need back the most IMO BTW), many sources (yeah, I know...SOURCES) have indicated that these kids want out.

I obviously hope they all come back, but I also hope that Cal has a backup plan.

That's it...That's all I'm saying.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "sources" saying all these kids desperately want out. There is an inexorable rhythm to this process, and we are in the phase now where they are saying everything they can and doing everything they can to get the NBA execs and scouts to take them seriously. If they were saying, "yeah, I'm a little torn. I really dig Lexington" would you want to invest time and effort in evaluating a borderline candidate if you were with an NBA team?

Once they have all the information, then they will shift into the decision making phase. And the decisions are going to be stark and clear. And those decisions are not going to be between 1st round millions and returning to Kentucky. They are going to be between grinding out a year in D-League or Greece or Latvia and coming back to Kentucky and maybe having better options in a year.

That's no guarantee that any come back, but it is a more realistic way of looking at it than just saying, "sources say they all want out."

The players we needed to come back already have....Richards and Quade....the rest can do whatever they want

Reactions: mrbud
The players we needed to come back already have....Richards and Quade....the rest can do whatever they want
I would say no...just because if they are the ONLY ones we need

Then we are left with only Montgomery and Richards in the post....even w/ a grad transfer that will be pretty thin.

correct.

i dont get why people are so in love with our backcourt right now. just because we have bodies i guess. green, baker, and herro arent & wont be good defenders. none are very athletic, will struggle to get to the rim and finish plays. wont be able to get a shot off on their own. undersized. quickley i think is a nice all around guard, but dont see him "dominating"

add maxey and hagans. gives us much needed athleticism. tough guys that will guard and compete. guys that can disrupt and get into the lane, finish plays. i actually think green/quickly compliment hagans/maxey very well. those 4 could give us the right balance.

if all we have going into 2018 season is green/quickly/baker/herro as our backcourt, it will be a struggle.

No, it won’t be a “struggle”

Reactions: HoptownCat93
“Roster bail out” “they want out” It seems to me as though you take it personal that our players are very close to millions of dollars and want to take every step possible to see if they can make this money. I’m sorry, but UK doesn’t mean as much to the players as it does to me an you. That doesn’t mean they don’t wanna win or play with effort, but for them it’s about getting to the money. Gabriel may not have a chance of that, but he comes from a poor background and wants to make money. Personally, I can’t knock that, nor take it personal. Cal has set the tone for that, even if they’re not quite ready

I agree they are very close to millions, but not there. The ideal that you should be able to be a multi millionaire aftet 9 months of “work” is odd. PJ for example has very good gifts and if he were to come back he would most assuredly go mid first round/ late lottery (maybe higher) which is about $5-$9 million dollars as opposed to MAYBE getting $33k for an obscure G league team.

I totally understand that all of this is a business decision for most of these guys... if that’s the case then why not make the best business decision?

Vanderbilt literally can’t even work out/ scrimmage for teams right now lol

Edit- I totally “support” a guy leaving to make his millions if secured in the 1st round; the O&D culture has been very good to us and I think we should continue. Sometimes, however , coming back an extra year, building your brand , building your hype, working on your game and making even more connections is a better business decision than praying/ hoping a team “promises” you a 1st round Pick( that means nothing) and inevitably sinking to the 2nd round/ undrafted

Last edited:
Here is what i think will happen with Vando...he is gonna work out for these teams and i mean really work out and if he decides to come back to UK then he will have his surgery and choose not to play in Bahamas....if that plays out..im done with him

Last edited:
Reactions: shutzhund
Here is what i think is what will happen eitb Vando...he is gonna work out for these teams and i mean really work out and if he decides to come back to UK then je will have his surgery amd choose not to play in Bahamas....if that plays out..im done with him
In English?

We really do need 1-2 of our front court guys to come back for a year to be a very good team. I'm not really too worried about it, as I think Cal has a plan in place for whichever way this goes.
At least 1-2 out of Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington will come back. But if they didn’t come back, we would still be fine with Richards, Montgomery, Johnson, and other players Calipari would add under those circumstances.

Reactions: thepip
Some of you take this way too personally.
I don't think it is that they "want OUT that badly", but rather that they "want IN that badly". The NBA has been their dream for much of their lives, while they probably had not even thought about UK before their SOPH or JR year AND UK was just viewed as a way to help them reach their ultimate goal. Justly or not, they feel so close to reaching that dream they can taste it. They see the millions of $ that even mediocre NBA players make on that 2nd contract. No college experience can compete with that, with someone achieving their dreams. Also keep in mind these 19-20 yr olds are KIDS. Physically they might look like men, but they are still kids, with little experience in life decisions.

Now at some point the players have to face reality, and make an adult decision. But as I'm sure Cal advises, they should make those decisions with all of the information they can attain. That would include combine performance & discussions w/ the teams at the combine, as well as feedback from NBA teams (to Cal) on these players.
I have to disagree,Jon they do want out to a greater extent than their situation dictates.It isn't good basketball sense,common sense or business sense.Everyone should not want out as badly as they do,I wish it was different but it isn't.

Got crucified for trying to keep count of departures some time ago so we could then net out against who all is coming in. Looked at it then and looking at it now, it’s coming down to Richards development and a few decisions at the 4 as to how far we go next year
It just amazes me that Pj wants out of Lexington so bad he can taste it. If he leaves and we don't get Travis we are really gonna be put in a bad situation next year in that we will ride or die on the health of Jared's feet. (If he comes back of course) Still COULD be one of those special years if PJ comes to his senses though.

For those who envision a four guard lineup where do the rebounds and interior defense come from? This is still a team game and the pieces appear to be out of balance even if the three draft dabblers return. So far it appears our best front court option is a freshman.
If all three come back there is no point in adding anybody else.

At least 1-2 out of Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington will come back. But if they didn’t come back, we would still be fine with Richards, Montgomery, Johnson, and other players Calipari would add under those circumstances.
I disagree 100 percent. If we lose all three, we will not have a great year next year. In fact, I would predict a year like this past year if we lose all three.

Reactions: KyFaninNC and kev69
We really do need 1-2 of our front court guys to come back for a year to be a very good team. I'm not really too worried about it, as I think Cal has a plan in place for whichever way this goes.
Yep. Anyone worried about our frontcourt at this point is worrying for nothing. Like Cal is actually going to just have Richards and Montgomery as his only 2 frontcourt guys. I'm chuckling at the thought of people worrying over nothing.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
as of today, its probably our 2nd worst backcourt in the cal era. i dont get why fans think its so great.
2nd worst as far as athleticism? Maybe. But quite possibly the 4 best collection of 3 point shooters. 2013 which I’m assuming you’re talking about as being the worst backcourt, couldn’t shoot the 3... like at all. I’ll take a slight dip in overall talent for 4 great shooter, an experienced pg who averaged almost double digits last year, and lots of depth. Add Hagans to this group, then you add that athleticism and top tier defender you’re taking about. Then it all of a sudden becomes quite possibly the best backcourt in the nation

Reactions: kev69
Yep. Anyone worried about our frontcourt at this point is worrying for nothing. Like Cal is actually going to just have Richards and Montgomery as his only 2 frontcourt guys. I'm chuckling at the thought of people worrying over nothing.
You mean it will be as good as that world beating front court as last year?

B
because cal wants AH and TM to reclass and join the team. if we are so loaded at guard...cal wouldnt do it. he prefers to play guys 35 minutes a game. tells me all i need to know.

I don't know of any info that says Cal wants TM for 2018.

For those who envision a four guard lineup where do the rebounds and interior defense come from? This is still a team game and the pieces appear to be out of balance even if the three draft dabblers return. So far it appears our best front court option is a freshman.

Seems like Villinova did pretty well with a 3-4 guard lineup and the interior guys also being undersized..I remember having a center-poward forward in Chuck Hayes who held down the interior with hustle,strength,and great body position..Three guards would be great with two able to brake a team down off the dribble with penetration..Then two having a great touch from the outside demanding the defense to respect their shot and limiting the zone defense that clogs the inside and has killed us latley..Herro being somewhere around 6-5 I believe could also play the small forward position adding yet another outside shooter to open up lanes and would need as much foot speed to keep up defensively with guards

I wrote this before but I think the best thing Maxey could do would be to announce his decision to reclassify after the circuit he's on staying elligable to keep playing..Then come to KENTUCKY next year and red shirt this practicing daily against players head and shoulders better than any guards he would next year in high school..Learning the system bonding with players and adding a few college credits along the way..Then being prepared in the best way possible for 2019

Seems like Villinova did pretty well with a 3-4 guard lineup and the interior guys also being undersized..I remember having a center-poward forward in Chuck Hayes who held down the interior with hustle,strength,and great body position..Three guards would be great with two able to brake a team down off the dribble with penetration..Then two having a great touch from the outside demanding the defense to respect their shot and limiting the zone defense that clogs the inside and has killed us latley..Herro being somewhere around 6-5 I believe could also play the small forward position adding yet another outside shooter to open up lanes and would need as much foot speed to keep up defensively with guards

be honest...you never watched a single nova game. they started a two 6'9 guys and a 6'7 SF.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
We could easily do the same thing ourselves next year but the difference would have to be with Richards becoming stronger and more physical underneath and learn how to move his feet and stop reaching on defense getting silly fouls..Plus he has to get better catching a darn pass as his hands are weak.

Surely Cal knows something that the general public doesn't, but these 3 sure haven't made it a secret how badly they want out.

That in itself makes me want to find a few more players...

Before everyone starts up with the "these kids have a right to pursue their dreams" or "who are you to question these kids?", I definitely have no problem with them going through the process.

It's all of the stuff we're hearing from PJ's dad, and the chatter behind the scenes with the others that make me feel that way,

At the end of the day, it's about UK for me, and WE'RE the ones who'll be robbed of a chance to cut down the nets because we watched our entire roster bail out AGAIN!

I say, grab a grad transfer or two, and/or a reclass, and if somebody comes back, all the better, but the train needs to keep rolling IMO...

Is there any "off the radar" type big's Cal could bring in? I know what is on this site. I don't read much UK news other than what is here. (I do Facebook and Cal's site but that's about it.) It seems Cal needs at least one more interior player to make this work. (That being that one or two of the three testing the water's comes back.) Count me as one who loves Vanderbilt's game but can UK depend on him for a full season? Should UK depend on him for a full season? I don't think they should at this point. jmo

Reactions: stenchymouse
be honest...you never watched a single nova game. they started a two 6'9 guys and a 6'7 SF.
I watched them a few time and their usual starting lineup was...Booth 6"3 guard..Bridges 6"7 guard-forward..Brunson 6"3 guard..Paschall 6"6 forward...Spillman 6"9 forward..

Is there any "off the radar" type big's Cal could bring in? I know what is on this site. I don't read much UK news other than what is here. (I do Facebook and Cal's site but that's about it.) It seems Cal needs at least one more interior player to make this work. (That being that one or two of the three testing the water's comes back.) Count me as one who loves Vanderbilt's game but can UK depend on him for a full season? Should UK depend on him for a full season? I don't think they should at this point. jmo
This late in the game finding a decent enough center or big outside of Reid or the big from Eastern Kentucky wouldn' be worth the scholarship unless it' a grad transfer for only taking up a scholarship for one season

Reactions: BBUK
We must have an inside scoring option to be really good. Not just put-back baskets but a legitimate scoring threat of some kind. PJ would certainly fit the bill but at this point it looks like he may be gone. Not sure if either Richards or Montgomery will be able to provide this for us.

You mean it will be as good as that world beating front court as last year?

Honest question man. Is the only time during the Cal era that you’ve been happy 2012? Is everything else a colossal disappointment?

You seem to not care for Cal to much despite him being the most successful UK coach sans Rupp from the 1940’s and 50’s (Jim Crow was still in effect ... that’s how long ago ) so, who do you think he should be replaced with ?
Coach K? Not happening plus it’s been proven he turns a blind eye to cheating

Jay Wright? That’s not happening either

Roy ? Known cheater...

So... who then? Who would you want instead of Cal? Do we run off a HOF coach who has more tournament wins than any other coach, Multiple FF’s and a title? A coach who has legitimately given us the most success in over half a CENTURY?

He absolutely has his faults , no question but there is nobody else feasibly available that can do better. Nobody.

What in our storied programs history leads you to believe we aren’t successful as a program right now?

If Im guessing at a lineup....

Vanderbilt
Travis/Washington
Johnson
Hagans
Green

Bench:
Richards
Quickley
Montgomery
Baker
Herro

Experience, length, depth, athletic, shooters. Really like this group.

Honest question man. Is the only time during the Cal era that you’ve been happy 2012? Is everything else a colossal disappointment?

You seem to not care for Cal to much despite him being the most successful UK coach sans Rupp from the 1940’s and 50’s (Jim Crow was still in effect ... that’s how long ago ) so, who do you think he should be replaced with ?
Coach K? Not happening plus it’s been proven he turns a blind eye to cheating

Jay Wright? That’s not happening either

Roy ? Known cheater...

So... who then? Who would you want instead of Cal? Do we run off a HOF coach who has more tournament wins than any other coach, Multiple FF’s and a title? A coach who has legitimately given us the most success in over half a CENTURY?

He absolutely has his faults , no question but there is nobody else feasibly available that can do better. Nobody.

What in our storied programs history leads you to believe we aren’t successful as a program right now?
Jay Wright turned us down after Tubby left leading us to that drunk coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT