Washington, So.
Vanderbilt, So.

Reclassify Options:
Hagans, Fr. Point Guard

Grad Transfer:
Reid Travis, Sr. Forward

-Deep with guards
-Good 3-point shooting
-Light in the post right now, 3-4 experienced players still need to make decisions...I feel like we will be set at that position.
-Has the makings of a National Title team if we can get 3 of the 4 draft guys and/or Reid Travis

2019 now has an elite guard coming in along with Jeffries...both guys are good with Wiseman. Wiseman/Carey/Maxey....with other 5-stars and some other returning guys makes me feel good even for the next year.

This is going to be so much fun. We are going to have shooters. Not one or two scorers, but shooters.

Even if Hagans isnt in the class we could run a lineup of 4 shooters out there with 1 big man.

If Gabriel comes back we could have 5 capable 3 point shooters out there getting minutes. Not saying Gabriel is a great shooter by any means, but we are talking about a guy who mad 7-3s in a game. That's a small lineup, but surround those 4 guards with Vanderbilt to crash the glass. MAN THIS IS EXCITING STUFF!!!! Is it March Madness yet.

I don’t think Hagans is a wait and see. He’s clearly a 2018 guy
Yeah Hagans is more clearly going to be on the team then Gabriel , PJ and Vando . IMO the team ends up looking like this

Green/Hagans/KJ/EJ/PJ with Quick , Herro , Richards , and Vanderbilt playing a ton as well and Baker sorta being the odd man out but on nights where the SEC refs are going wild he will play a lot as well and there is always injuries to consider . Also I still think Wiseman might reclassify in August . I will have to see him not to believe it as why would you not want to play 2 years of college instead of 1 year of HS and 1 year of college ? Just doesn't make sense to me as one gets you way more ready to be the #1 pick in 2020 draft .

Reactions: JASUN74
We’re going to be dominant in the backcourt, but I’m still concerned about the lack of rebounding and rim protectors.

For 2018?? Bc I see wiseman being a rim protector in the 2019 class.

Very disappointed about Maxi staying in 2019. Praying Hagan comes the season. And I don't care about autocorrect you guys know what I'm saying

Reactions: JASUN74
Got crucified for trying to keep count of departures some time ago so we could then net out against who all is coming in. Looked at it then and looking at it now, it’s coming down to Richards development and a few decisions at the 4 as to how far we go next year

Why are you disappointed that he’staying in 2019? How would he get playing time this season?

I think he's better than the guards we have on the roster at present but that's just an opinion and could very well be wrong. We just don't have any upper-tier guard Talent

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Seems that most would rather stay in H.S since way more top guys stay in their class over reclassifying. So it’s way more common and I’m guessing kids much rather do that

Yeah Hagans is more clearly going to be on the team then Gabriel , PJ and Vando . IMO the team ends up looking like this

Green/Hagans/KJ/EJ/PJ with Quick , Herro , Richards , and Vanderbilt playing a ton as well and Baker sorta being the odd man out but on nights where the SEC refs are going wild he will play a lot as well and there is always injuries to consider . Also I still think Wiseman might reclassify in August . I will have to see him not to believe it as why would you not want to play 2 years of college instead of 1 year of HS and 1 year of college ? Just doesn't make sense to me as one gets you way more ready to be the #1 pick in 2020 draft .

We have Richards and EJ for 4/5 for now. We lack depth, so we definitely need to have 1 or 2 to come back.

Other than that this team is pretty set. Love that we also have summer games to get a early start!!!

So true. We'll know better in about 21 days. If we get all 3 of our bigs back I wouldn't want to be the other 350 teams in college basketball. UK will be the deepest most talented team in the Nation.
I like your thinking there buddy. Lol. Gooooooo Cats. Making me ready for some college b-ball. I was sure awful sad after the pelicans game last night, but this has cured me. Thank u sir.

2 of 3 bigs come back and this is a special team. Maybe not the overwhelming favorite but they will definitely be in the conversation.

I think he's better than the guards we have on the roster at present but that's just an opinion and could very well be wrong. We just don't have any upper-tier guard Talent

correct.

i dont get why people are so in love with our backcourt right now. just because we have bodies i guess. green, baker, and herro arent & wont be good defenders. none are very athletic, will struggle to get to the rim and finish plays. wont be able to get a shot off on their own. undersized. quickley i think is a nice all around guard, but dont see him "dominating"

add maxey and hagans. gives us much needed athleticism. tough guys that will guard and compete. guys that can disrupt and get into the lane, finish plays. i actually think green/quickly compliment hagans/maxey very well. those 4 could give us the right balance.

if all we have going into 2018 season is green/quickly/baker/herro as our backcourt, it will be a struggle.

Do u guys think it would be better for him to play this year , even if we only get one of the three big guys back? It would be one of the most entertaining groups for sure. I don’t see how you could guard all of them. Lol. I think our defense would still be awesome because of the size of all the guards. I’m excited either way.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Worst case scenario, we only have Montgomery and Richards inside. We would have to play with Johnson at the 4 most of the time. Can't play Montgomery and Richards together much, we would have to rotate them at the 5.

We would be 8 deep:

Starters

G Green
G Hagans
G Quickley
F Johnson
F Richards

Bench

G Baker
G Herro
F Montgomery

That team should really be able to shoot and score, especially in transition. Rebounding would be a problem, most likely.

That's worst case scenario.

We will have someone else at forward, whether it be Washington, Gabriel, or Vanderbilt back, or some newcomer.

First off, I'm not counting on any big's coming back because by all accounts, they all want to leave very badly and would probably be disappointed to HAVE to come back.

If Richards and EJ BOTH were in foul trouble, say in the elite 8 against someone like UNC, we're going home.

Even without foul trouble, Richards and EJ can't play 80 minutes between them, and Keldon Johnson at the 4 is not a solution to that problem.

People keep mentioning Reid Travis as a possible addition, but even if he DID transfer, there's no indication that he'd go to UK.

We need AT LEAST 2 more front court players to have a legitimate at winning it all next year.

First off, I'm not counting on any big's coming back because by all accounts, they all want to leave very badly and would probably be disappointed to HAVE to come back.

If Richards and EJ BOTH were in foul trouble, say in the elite 8 against someone like UNC, we're going home.

Even without foul trouble, Richards and EJ can't play 80 minutes between them, and Keldon Johnson at the 4 is not a solution to that problem.

People keep mentioning Reid Travis as a possible addition, but even if he DID transfer, there's no indication that he'd go to UK.

We need AT LEAST 2 more front court players to have a legitimate at winning it all next year.
Honestly, my thoughts exactly. If we lose all three, we’re going to be even worse off than last season inside.

Honestly, my thoughts exactly. If we lose all three, we’re going to be even worse off than last season inside.
Surely Cal knows something that the general public doesn't, but these 3 sure haven't made it a secret how badly they want out.

That in itself makes me want to find a few more players...

Before everyone starts up with the "these kids have a right to pursue their dreams" or "who are you to question these kids?", I definitely have no problem with them going through the process.

It's all of the stuff we're hearing from PJ's dad, and the chatter behind the scenes with the others that make me feel that way,

At the end of the day, it's about UK for me, and WE'RE the ones who'll be robbed of a chance to cut down the nets because we watched our entire roster bail out AGAIN!

I say, grab a grad transfer or two, and/or a reclass, and if somebody comes back, all the better, but the train needs to keep rolling IMO...

Surely Cal knows something that the general public doesn't, but these 3 sure haven't made it a secret how badly they want out.

Before everyone starts up with the "these kids have a right to pursue their dreams" or "who are you to question these kids?", I definitely have no problem with them going through the process.

It's all of the stuff we're hearing from PJ's dad, and the chatter behind the scenes with the others that make me feel that way,

At the end of the day, it's about UK for me, and WE'RE the ones who'll be robbed of a chance to cut down the nets because we watched our entire roster bail out AGAIN!

I say, grab a grad transfer or two, and/or a reclass, and if somebody comes back, all the better, but the train needs to keep rolling IMO...
Totally agree. I’m sure Cal is doing everything he can to make sure we’re not weak again inside. (Weak by our standards)

“Roster bail out” “they want out” It seems to me as though you take it personal that our players are very close to millions of dollars and want to take every step possible to see if they can make this money. I’m sorry, but UK doesn’t mean as much to the players as it does to me an you. That doesn’t mean they don’t wanna win or play with effort, but for them it’s about getting to the money. Gabriel may not have a chance of that, but he comes from a poor background and wants to make money. Personally, I can’t knock that, nor take it personal. Cal has set the tone for that, even if they’re not quite ready

Maxey is not coming in next year...the pieces are now coming together

Guards:
Green, So.
Baker, RS Fr.
Quickley, Fr.
Herro, Fr.

Forwards/Wings:
Richards, So.
Johnson
Montgomery, Fr.

Draft Decisions:
Gabriel, Jr.
Washington, So.
Vanderbilt, So.

Reclassify Options:
Hagans, Fr. Point Guard

Grad Transfer:
Reid Travis, Sr. Forward

-Deep with guards
-Good 3-point shooting
-Light in the post right now, 3-4 experienced players still need to make decisions...I feel like we will be set at that position.
-Has the makings of a National Title team if we can get 3 of the 4 draft guys and/or Reid Travis

2019 now has an elite guard coming in along with Jeffries...both guys are good with Wiseman. Wiseman/Carey/Maxey....with other 5-stars and some other returning guys makes me feel good even for the next year.
I wouldn't pencil in Carey or even Wiseman just yet. There is a long way to go in both recruitments. I would say we probably land Wiseman but you know how recruits always talk about playing together but it seldom happens. The Carey recruitment will be a fight til the end I think but Wiseman Carey Jeffries Maxey and maybe throw in Keion Brooks and Jalen Lecque and some returning players like Herro Baker Montgomery and that's a great team.

It seems the remaining 3 want to leave more than their current skill and situation says they should.If they are willing to take whatever risk is involved then they should go,it is apparent they would rather be somewhere other than at UK.

Cal and the UK team are in this situation every year,it should be expected with players like Fox,Monk,Bam,Murray and several others but the talent and readiness level slides down every year. Players like Hump,Gabriel,Washington,SKJ and Vanderbilt run for the door when there is no where to go,just go to be going.

Maybe it comes with the territory but there is plenty of reasons to ask why. The follow their dream crowd has a point but at the end of the day for most of us UK basketball is our priority and why we are here in the first place.There should be more balance to the process.Staying at UK should not be the failure that it has become and leaving at any cost is not the success that every player seems to believe it to be

“Roster bail out” “they want out” It seems to me as though you take it personal that our players are very close to millions of dollars and want to take every step possible to see if they can make this money. I’m sorry, but UK doesn’t mean as much to the players as it does to me an you. That doesn’t mean they don’t wanna win or play with effort, but for them it’s about getting to the money. Gabriel may not have a chance of that, but he comes from a poor background and wants to make money. Personally, I can’t knock that, nor take it personal. Cal has set the tone for that, even if they’re not quite ready
How in the world did what I said (I even clarified myself) sound like I take it personally?

I don't have a problem with kids going pro AT ALL!!!

It's not them leaving, it's another season at UK being a "worst case scenario" for them that is concerning.

What I meant was, when the players want out so badly, that they'd rather play in the D League for a season, than to come back with a chance to become a lottery pick in the next draft, it's time to take care of UK.

JV hasn't made it a secret that he'd love to find a path out of here, and coming back is something he'll do it he has to.

PJ can ABSOLUTELY be a SOLID first rounder next year if he comes back, but his dad comes out and indicates that they're looking for a path out.

Gabriel, while he may not be an NBA prospect, can definitely solidify a pro future by improving other parts of his game next year.

I have NEVER begrudged the OAD culture that Cal created, but when leaving is NOT in the kid's best interest, and they STILL want out, I think that we should cover our own ass, because after all, we're still UK, and we should never be held hostage.

For those who envision a four guard lineup where do the rebounds and interior defense come from? This is still a team game and the pieces appear to be out of balance even if the three draft dabblers return. So far it appears our best front court option is a freshman.

For those who envision a four guard lineup where do the rebounds and interior defense come from? This is still a team game and the pieces appear to be out of balance even if the three draft dabblers return. So far it appears our best front court option is a freshman.
The Murray and Ulis season ought to be enough for people to realize that an unbalanced roster ain't gonna cut it in the NCAA tournament past the sweet 16.

Some of you take this way too personally.
I don't think it is that they "want OUT that badly", but rather that they "want IN that badly". The NBA has been their dream for much of their lives, while they probably had not even thought about UK before their SOPH or JR year AND UK was just viewed as a way to help them reach their ultimate goal. Justly or not, they feel so close to reaching that dream they can taste it. They see the millions of $ that even mediocre NBA players make on that 2nd contract. No college experience can compete with that, with someone achieving their dreams. Also keep in mind these 19-20 yr olds are KIDS. Physically they might look like men, but they are still kids, with little experience in life decisions.

Now at some point the players have to face reality, and make an adult decision. But as I'm sure Cal advises, they should make those decisions with all of the information they can attain. That would include combine performance & discussions w/ the teams at the combine, as well as feedback from NBA teams (to Cal) on these players.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I don’t entirely agree with this statement. Declaring for the draft isn’t what it used to be. They may all 3 want to be playing pro right now but declaring without an agent doesn’t in itself indicate that. It’s simply the first chance these guys have had to speak to nba people directly about how they are looked at by nba teams. I’ll admit, PJ’s dad has made some comments that seem to be leaning towards wanting to leave, which I still think is a bone-headed move. But Vanderbilt for one, has done nothing other than declare to show that he has a foot out the door already. And I honestly think he just wants some feedback.

Reactions: Blue Decade
I don’t entirely agree with this statement. Declaring for the draft isn’t what it used to be. They may all 3 want to be playing pro right now but declaring without an agent doesn’t in itself indicate that. It’s simply the first chance these guys have had to speak to nba people directly about how they are looked at by nba teams. I’ll admit, PJ’s dad has made some comments that seem to be leaning towards wanting to leave, which I still think is a bone-headed move. But Vanderbilt for one, has done nothing other than declare to show that he has a foot out the door already. And I honestly think he just wants some feedback.
I agree. A couple of years ago, NBA rules changed so that a player can pull out of the draft at the end of May if he hasn't hired an agent or taken money before then. These days, it is to the player’s direct advantage to investigate his options and learn as much as possible about the way NBA executives view him. Calipari is smart to take the players’ side of this. Most college coaches can’t do that, because most simply don’t have the recruiting traction to cope with the consequences. Out of Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, at least 1-2 will be back. With Richards, Montgomery, Johnson in the fold and ready access to grad transfers, Calipari is in good shape regardless of what the 3 players decide to do.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
There isn’t going to be a 4 guard lineup. The roster probably won’t be clarified until August, but I think UK’s baseline game this coming season will be significantly better than the last 2 years.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT