ADVERTISEMENT

Roster/Cal’s coaching

Kattopper

Sophomore
Oct 7, 2004
I’m not a guru by any stretch but like the majority here I am more than frustrated with offense style/chemistry issues that have plagued us for years.

I like parts of our roster but still think there are holes. Cal’s stagnant offense, wacky subsitution patterns, constant yelling/coaching every dribble makes it tough for the guys to play in. Clearly we see kids go to the league and blossom offensively- I think it’s more freedom than Cal preparing them.

Just not sure we are as talented as we thought (outside of Oscar) looking at this roster. Ugonna might have the best upside on the whole team long term. The rest I just dont see any surefire pros that will be allstars at the next level.

Collins/Toppin- elite athletes but not basketball players- no skill set, nothing other to fall back on other than 45 inch verticals. Both got worn out last night by a slow white boy who is a basketball player with skill.

Ware- not sure what he is good at. Seen nothing yet. Nothing. Hasn’t progressed same as last year and the year before.

CJ- elite shooter. Cant guard the perimeter or stop the drive and struggled with speed on defense getting off shots.

Reeves- Think jury is out a bit. Think he is a kid that Cal will jerk around and just basically lose his confidence. See M. Mulder.

Wheeler- Frustrating. Short and is not a great defender in my opinion. He got shot over basically last night several times (he is 5’8” on a good day. Decision making and irratic play are well documented. On Cal’s list of PG’s at UK he ranks very low. Just not a fit in my opinion here for what Cal has done.

Wallace- good player from what I have seen. Missed a couple FT’s last night but had 7 steals and can guard. Think he pressed a bit when we got stagnant on offense and tried to hard but you can’t blame the kid. He isnt going to get help looking to the sideline. Will be a pro/or at least leave after this year but I don’t see him as a high level guard in the league.

Livingston/Theiro- jury still out on both but upside is there. Think Livingston is a classic tweener. Not enough offensive skillset for a 3 and to small for a wing.

Oscar- just a great college player. Love the guy. Cal should give him 2/3’s of his salary for what he has bailed him out of the last 2 years.

Ugonna- kid needs to play. If we are going to shit the bed early in the season like usual then let the kid play and learn.

All in all I still dont think we are at the talent level or anywhere near it looking back 2010-2015. Cal can’t get by without a couple of top 5 picks on the roster. I think guys play tight under him. It seems his coaching adjustements are quick irregular substitution patterns that are desperate attempts without a plan. I am afraid we are in for more of the same this year. We wont have a 1st round loss but I just don’t see us winning it. Mediocore coaching, a single great college player, surrounded by lack of any additional star talent will end with another disappointing season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT