ADVERTISEMENT

Rondo as team motivator

Rajon Rondo played for Kentucky
Chris Paul did not

Therefore, Rondo >>>Paul

/end thread

Really hope everyone realizes this is spoken tongue-in-cheek :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: UK90
Counting last year's playoffs, Paul had played in the playoffs in nine of his twelve seasons. He had played in 76 playoff games without making a Conference Finals. That's a record, by the way. Tell me again how great Chris Paul is. [eyeroll]

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the main goal to win and advance in the playoffs? Last time I checked, that was the goal.

One wins and advances in the playoffs, the other does not. It's really that simple. To me anyway. [winking]

Now, argue that. I'll wait....

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: JASUN74
I would take Rondo over Paul if I'm choosing between the two. I don't really understand why that's such a big deal. Rondo wins in the playoffs, when it matters. Chris Paul is a choke artist. To each their own.
Lol. That’s exactly what I was trying to say but no one will let you have your own opinion without bringing in stats. Lol. You try to get out of a forum post , but they bring you back in. Lol. Has nothing to do with playing for KY.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just to place this in perspective, the WP did a survey of NBA sources before this season to compile this ranking of the 100 best NBA players. Paul ranked 12th, whereas Rondo did not even make the Top 100.

Rondo should obviously be back on that list now after the outstanding season he's had this year, but it still gives a glimpse of the huge gap between how the two players are regarded.

And, as someone else noted, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has arguably never even been the best player on his own team (he'd rank no higher than third or fourth on this Pelican team far behind AD and Holiday), whereas Paul has clearly been the best player on every single team he's ever played on until teaming up with Harden this year. That's a big distinction between the two.
He doesn’t have to be the best player on his team to be leader. Do u owe Paul money?Seriously , I’m asking for a friend.

And not just based on those stats, but in virtually every other measurable way as well. For example, Paul being like an eight time first team all defense selection vs. only two for Rondo, Paul being a six time steal leader vs. only one for Rondo, Paul being a four time First Team All NBA member vs. zero for Rondo, Paul being an 8 time first or second team selection vs. only 1 for Rondo, Paul leading the league in assists more times than Rondo, Paul having a far higher Player Efficiency Rating every season, etc.

I love Rondo's game too, but let's not get carried away, folks. He is not, and has never been, as good as Chris Paul.

at least he is not a nut-puncher like that punk Chris Paul. just ask Julius Hodge...

Rondo is better in the playoffs than Paul. That's what's not debatable. Give me the guy that wins when it counts, every single time. Paul can be a regular season champion, I reckon. [laughing]

I've always said Robert Horry is better than Karl Malone.

Apples to oranges.

Karl Malone doesn't eat fruit.

But how so? If anything, Malone had way more help, a much better coach, and a consistent system than Paul has had, which is why he advanced to a couple NBA Finals.

Horry, like Rondo, was an above average role player on good teams. Switch them on any successful team they were on with their counterpart we're discussing here and it's immediately an even better team.

Chris Paul on those Celtics teams would have won 65-70 games and multiple titles. Rondo on those Hornet teams would have pouted and gotten the coach fired.

LOL. You make it sound like those "veterans" were just along for the ride following Rondo's orders. Sorry, but NO, they were THREE ALL STARS, three CERTAIN HALL OF FAMERS, including one guy (Garnett) who was that season's Defensive Player of the Year who finished a close third in the MVP voting (behind only Kobe and Chris Paul).

Rondo, on the other hand, was not an all star that year, he was merely a supporting character to the three stars. Admittedly, a DAMN good supporting character, but still no better than the fourth best player on his own team that season behind Garnett, Allen and Pierce.

Sorry, but it's just silly to use that title as the basis for claiming Rondo over Paul. Paul has never had the luxury of merely being his team's fourth best player. In fact, until this year (ie. with Harden), he'd never even experienced not being his team's first best player. I'm quite certain that if Paul (who was merely runner up for MVP that season) had been given the same chance to play with Garnett/Allen/Pierce in 08 he'd have a title as well.
Paul had the best defensive center in the league in DeAndre Jordan and some guy name Blake Griffin who falls out of the rafters. I don't want to hear any excuses for Chris Paul. Mike Conley completely owned Chris Paul a couple of series. Eric Bledsoe had to come to the rescue.

I watched Lebron James completely shut down Derrick Rose one series. The very next series he tried to guard Rondo and just got destroyed. The Heat even tried to put Wade on him but their was nothing they could do. Heat beat Celtics in that series because refs swallowed their whistles.

Karl Malone doesn't eat fruit.

But how so? If anything, Malone had way more help, a much better coach, and a consistent system than Paul has had, which is why he advanced to a couple NBA Finals.

Horry, like Rondo, was an above average role player on good teams. Switch them on any successful team they were on with their counterpart we're discussing here and it's immediately an even better team.

Chris Paul on those Celtics teams would have won 65-70 games and multiple titles. Rondo on those Hornet teams would have pouted and gotten the coach fired.
There's no way to truly know what Chris Paul could have accomplished on those Celtics teams. Rondo came within one game 7 against Kobe and the Lakers from winning multiple titles. KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce all say they wouldn't have even won a title if they didn't have Rajon Rondo. Chris Paul has played in the playoffs on ten separate occasions and has yet to make even a Conference Finals. It's looking like he may finally do that this year, though. He had a really good supporting cast the whole time in LA and never won shit.

There's no way to truly know what Chris Paul could have accomplished on those Celtics teams. Rondo came within one game 7 against Kobe and the Lakers from winning multiple titles. KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce all say they wouldn't have even won a title if they didn't have Rajon Rondo. Chris Paul has played in the playoffs on ten separate occasions and has yet to make even a Conference Finals. It's looking like he may finally do that this year, though. He had a really good supporting cast the whole time in LA and never won shit.

Eh, really good supporting cast is generous. Blake Griffin isn't a guy you win anything with.

I hear you though. He's underachieved in the playoffs relative to his greatness. But the West is tough and you can count on just a few fingers how many teams have been led to greatness with a point guard being their best player. Especially one who isn't a 30+ scorer.

I just don't think it's accurate to give Rondo credit when he played with three hall of famers at once. It's like saying Ron Harper is better than Gary Payton.

Eh, really good supporting cast is generous. Blake Griffin isn't a guy you win anything with.

I hear you though. He's underachieved in the playoffs relative to his greatness. But the West is tough and you can count on just a few fingers how many teams have been led to greatness with a point guard being their best player. Especially one who isn't a 30+ scorer.

I just don't think it's accurate to give Rondo credit when he played with three hall of famers at once. It's like saying Ron Harper is better than Gary Payton.
Still, Rondo's career postseason stats are pretty impressive. Why not give him credit? The guy had huge playoff games for those Celtics teams. Huge.

I am definitely not a Chris Paul fan and Rondo has been one of my favorite players for a long time. With that being said, Chris Paul is a future HOF. Rondo is not.

Still, Rondo's career postseason stats are pretty impressive. Why not give him credit? The guy had huge playoff games for those Celtics teams. Huge.

Rondo gets plenty of credit. He's a good player. He's just not even close to Chris Paul, and if we're using postseason success to somehow make that argument, then you have to point out the role they played on their teams.

A team with Rajon Rondo as its best player probably doesn't make the playoffs in the West during Paul's time in the conference.

CP3 had 41/10/7 with zero turnovers in a closeout game to advance to the conference finals last night, by the way. Against one of the best defenses in the league.

Rondo gets plenty of credit. He's a good player. He's just not even close to Chris Paul, and if we're using postseason success to somehow make that argument, then you have to point out the role they played on their teams.

A team with Rajon Rondo as its best player probably doesn't make the playoffs in the West during Paul's time in the conference.

CP3 had 41/10/7 with zero turnovers in a closeout game to advance to the conference finals last night, by the way. Against one of the best defenses in the league.
Yes, he had a great game last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT