ADVERTISEMENT

Rondo as team motivator

I love me some Rondo, but let’s not get carried away. He told one dude to take a nap and the other to be aggressive. My mom said I should nap before games. And the cheerleaders had a “Be Agressive” cheer.

So...you know... basic stuff.

Reactions: UK90
Don't hear much how other players ''' the little things" to be champs. Like this Rondo, sharing himself what it takes to be champ

Love Rondo, individual stats favor Paul.

Paul Career
892 games
18.7 Points
4.5 Rebounds
9.8 Assists

Rondo Career
779 games
10.5 Points
4.8 Rebounds
8.5 Assists

And not just based on those stats, but in virtually every other measurable way as well. For example, Paul being like an eight time first team all defense selection vs. only two for Rondo, Paul being a six time steal leader vs. only one for Rondo, Paul being a four time First Team All NBA member vs. zero for Rondo, Paul being an 8 time first or second team selection vs. only 1 for Rondo, Paul leading the league in assists more times than Rondo, Paul having a far higher Player Efficiency Rating every season, etc.

I love Rondo's game too, but let's not get carried away, folks. He is not, and has never been, as good as Chris Paul.

Last edited:
And not just based on those stats, but in virtually every other measurable way as well. For example, Paul being like an eight time first team all defense selection vs. only two for Rondo, Paul being a six time steal leader vs. only one for Rondo, Paul being a four time First Team All NBA member vs. zero for Rondo, Paul being an 8 time 1st or 2nd team selection vs. only 1 for Rondo, Paul leading the league in assists more times than Rondo, Paul having a far higher Player Efficiency Rating virtually every season, etc.

I love Rondo's game too, but let's not get carried away, folks. He is not, and has never been, better than Chris Paul.
You left out , Point guard and leader of two Championship teams. I think that carries a little weight and would bring those numbers a little closer. I’m not saying Paul wouldn’t have won on that team, but as of now rondo is a champion. Paul may get one this year and it will be a different conversation.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Point guard and leader of two Championship teams.

"Two"? I think you need to work on your counting skills, my friend. "One" is the correct answer.

And I'm sure Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce would dispute your characterization of who was the "leader" of that team. There were three All Stars on that team (not to mention the Defensive POY in Garnett) and NONE of them were named Rondo. Garnett, Allen and Pierce were the veteran All Stars on that team, Rondo was just the second year upstart.

Last edited:
"Two"? I think you need to work on your counting skills, my friend. "One" is the correct answer.

And I'm sure Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce would dispute your characterization of who was the "leader" of that team. There were three All Stars on that team (not to mention the Defensive POY in Garnett) and NONE of them were named Rondo. Garnett, Allen and Pierce were the veteran All Stars on that team, Rondo was just the second year upstart.
Yes only one. My bad. But I stand by everything else. I agree he had veterans on the team but he ran the show. Without him that team isn’t near what they were. Of course this is just my opinion and I’m sure you see it differently. I do love Chris Paul as a basketball player and think he’s one of the all time greats. I still take Rondo as my point guard to lead my team.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
For all the crap Rondo has gotten deserved or not he never punched a dude in the nuts like Chris Paul did. Imagine punching a guy in the balls in a game. Paul did that. His stupid ass state farm commercials have given him perhaps undo personal favor. Funny how things work out.

Reactions: JASUN74
For all the crap Rondo has gotten deserved or not he never punched a dude in the nuts like Chris Paul did. Imagine punching a guy in the balls in a game. Paul did that. His stupid ass state farm commercials have given him perhaps undo personal favor. Funny how things work out.
Lol. The ol nut punching thick. Haha

I agree he had veterans on the team but he ran the show.

LOL. You make it sound like those "veterans" were just along for the ride following Rondo's orders. Sorry, but NO, they were THREE ALL STARS, three CERTAIN HALL OF FAMERS, including one guy (Garnett) who was that season's Defensive Player of the Year who finished a close third in the MVP voting (behind only Kobe and Chris Paul).

Rondo, on the other hand, was not an all star that year, he was merely a supporting character to the three stars. Admittedly, a DAMN good supporting character, but still no better than the fourth best player on his own team that season behind Garnett, Allen and Pierce.

Sorry, but it's just silly to use that title as the basis for claiming Rondo over Paul. Paul has never had the luxury of merely being his team's fourth best player. In fact, until this year (ie. with Harden), he'd never even experienced not being his team's first best player. I'm quite certain that if Paul (who was merely runner up for MVP that season) had been given the same chance to play with Garnett/Allen/Pierce in 08 he'd have a title as well.

Last edited:
A
LOL. You make it sound like those "veterans" were just along for the ride following Rondo's orders. Sorry, but NO, they were THREE ALL STARS, three superstars, three CERTAIN HALL OF FAMERS, including one guy (Garnett) who was that season's Defensive Player of the Year who finished a close third in the MVP voting (behind only Kobe and Chris Paul).

Rondo, on the other hand, was not an all star that year, he was merely a supporting character to the three stars. Admittedly, a DAMN good supporting character, but still no better than the fourth best player on his own team that season behind Garnett, Allen and Pierce in the team's pecking order.

Sorry, but it's just silly to use that title as the basis for claiming Rondo over Paul. Paul has never had the luxury of merely being his team's fourth best player. In fact, until this year (ie. with Harden), he'd never even experienced not being his team's first best player. I'm quite certain that if Paul (who was merely runner up for MVP that season) had been given the same chance to play with Garnett/Allen/Pierce in 08 he'd have a title as well.
. And I said , paul may have won if he was on that team. Rondo wasn’t an all star that year but he was a champion. As I said before , I know he had veterans and who they were. I watched every game they played in the playoffs that year and Rondo was great. I didn’t say he was the best player on the team. You can give all the stats and MVP VOTES or anything else but I still would rather have had and still would take Rondo. Again it is MY OPINION and I understand you don’t agree but it is what it is. Also , Im sure I never made it sound like the other guys were just along for the ride. But your sure making it sound like he was getting clean up minutes or something. Lol. Anyway , I do respect your opinion on Paul and I agree he is a great player, actually one of the top ten point guards of all time. Thanks for replying and I have learned a couple things about Paul I didn’t know. Later

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I would still take Rondo also. How many playoff series has Paul won, one or two? LOL Get real.
Well, you'd make a pathetic GM, then.

"Get real"? Look in the mirror on that one. No one in the NBA would take Rondo over Chris Paul. No one. Paul is a first-ballot HOF player who's been named All-NBA 8 times. Rondo's been named All-NBA once.

The Hornets were good when Paul played there. The Clippers went from dog doo to winning over 50 every year Paul was there. The Rockets took a big step up this year. In every case except this past season, Paul was the best player on the team.

Rondo, OTOH, has never really been the best player on any team he's played for. And in his last 3 stops before NO, he didn't make any of the teams he played for demonstrably better. He actually made the Mavs worse.

It's nice that he's found a comfortable spot, but your evaluation of him is based on something besides reality.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Well, you'd make a pathetic GM, then.

"Get real"? Look in the mirror on that one. No one in the NBA would take Rondo over Chris Paul. No one. Paul is a first-ballot HOF player who's been named All-NBA 8 times. Rondo's been named All-NBA once.

The Hornets were good when Paul played there. The Clippers went from dog doo to winning over 50 every year Paul was there. The Rockets took a big step up this year. In every case except this past season, Paul was the best player on the team.

Rondo, OTOH, has never really been the best player on any team he's played for. And in his last 3 stops before NO, he didn't make any of the teams he played for demonstrably better. He actually made the Mavs worse.

It's nice that he's found a comfortable spot, but your evaluation of him is based on something besides reality.
Look in the mirror, eh? You got a problem? All the fluff you speak of doesn't matter, Paul has never came close to winning shit. Keep swinging on his nutsack, though, clown.

Look in the mirror, eh? You got a problem? All the fluff you speak of doesn't matter, Paul has never came close to winning shit. Keep swinging on his nutsack, though, clown.
Oh.

Now I see. I'm dealing with a 12 year old who rides the short bus.

Being an obnoxious asswipe doesn't make you right, BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Paul in the regular season over Rondo, Playoff Rondo over playoff Paul. Rondo has had legendary playoff performances, Paul not even close. Even playing with and without the Big 3 Rondo did things that CP has yet to do. The year Garnett was out Rondo kept the Celts alive, the near triple doubles he averaged with them the dislocated elbow game. Both great. Both HOF>

I am not even sure if the poster is being serious as this ranking Paul is one of the 15 best players in the NBA . Rondo would be hard pressed to be one of the top 30 . And Rondo is my 2nd favorite player of the Tubby era ( chuck Hayes is #1)

Just to place this in perspective, the WP did a survey of NBA sources before this season to compile this ranking of the 100 best NBA players. Paul ranked 12th, whereas Rondo did not even make the Top 100.

Rondo should obviously be back on that list now after the outstanding season he's had this year, but it still gives a glimpse of the huge gap between how the two players are regarded.

And, as someone else noted, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has arguably never even been the best player on his own team (he'd rank no higher than third or fourth on this Pelican team far behind AD and Holiday), whereas Paul has clearly been the best player on every single team he's ever played on until teaming up with Harden this year. That's a big distinction between the two.

Last edited:
Just to place this in perspective, the WP did a survey of NBA sources before this season to compile this ranking of the 100 best NBA players. Paul ranked 12th, whereas Rondo did not even make the Top 100.

Rondo should obviously be back on that list now after the outstanding season he's had this year, but it still gives a glimpse of the huge gap between how the two players are regarded.

And, as someone else noted, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has basically never even been the best player on his own team (he'd rank no higher than third on this Pelican team far behind AD and Holiday), whereas Paul has clearly been the best player on every single team he's ever played on until teaming up with Harden this year. That's a big distinction between the two.

You could say that Paul has clearly always been the best player on every team he’s played on, but then you’d have to ignore Blake Griffin finishing 3rd in the MVP voting in 2014 (Paul finished 7th).

Not that that proves Griffin was better. Just makes it much more debatable than you’re letting on.

I would take Rondo over Paul if I'm choosing between the two. I don't really understand why that's such a big deal. Rondo wins in the playoffs, when it matters. Chris Paul is a choke artist. To each their own.

Rondo always has had the talent,sometimes his head would get in the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT