ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Mercer was the most explosive wing player to play for Kentucky in the 90's

When he would curl off the screens and hit the jumper was a thing of beauty. His dunks with what my son would call his spiderman landing was funny. Its like he posed like that after every dunk

Any response other than Mash is completely wrong and just speaks to a complete lack of understanding of what an "explosive wing player" actually is.

My opinion.

This is a bit different, but here is my starting 5 all 90's Kentucky team. Tony Delk; Derek Anderson; Ron Mercer; Jamal Mashburn; Antoine Walker. Position-less of course.

This is a bit different, but here is my starting 5 all 90's Kentucky team. Tony Delk; Derek Anderson; Ron Mercer; Jamal Mashburn; Antoine Walker. Position-less of course.
Would have to be a position less lineup. We all know TD isn't that good playing point. The 96 Cats are probably undefeated (until the finals of the SEC Tournament) if Pitino had Epps or Turner at point instead of TD, against Cal's UMass team. UMass upset us in our second game of the season that year. I remember being completely stunned. That 96 UK team was special.

Reactions: ruppcat

Id like to see this team play:
- PG Epps/Turner
- SG Delk/DA
- F - Mashburn/Mercer
- F - Walker/McCarty
- F/C - Mohammad/Magloire

Bench - Shep, Padgett, Mills (just for fun)

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
While Mashburn did shoot 3's, he was NOT a wing player. He was a do-it-all PF. He was on the wing, he posted up, he even brought it up vs the press some, yet that (last part) did not make him a PG. Also as great as Mash was, I wouldn't call him "explosive".

I would put Anderson as more explosive than Mercer, but it's debatable. A distant 3rd would probably be Heshimu Evans or Rhodes.

- PG Epps/Turner
- SG Delk/DA
- F - Mashburn/Mercer
- F - Walker/McCarty

I think the 96 team may have beaten the all 90's team (excluding guys on the 96 team).

Reactions: ruppcat
- PG Epps/Turner
- SG Delk/DA
- F - Mashburn/Mercer
- F - Walker/McCarty

T
- PG Epps/Turner
- SG Delk/DA
- F - Mashburn/Mercer
- F - Walker/McCarty

That would be a hell of a team.

Would have to be a position less lineup. We all know TD isn't that good playing point. The 96 Cats are probably undefeated (until the finals of the SEC Tournament) if Pitino had Epps or Turner at point instead of TD, against Cal's UMass team. UMass upset us in our second game of the season that year. I remember being completely stunned. That 96 UK team was special.
I think it was one of the best teams of all time. My 2nd favorite team of all time.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
First thought was DA but mash really did play sf and was the more accomplished player....depends on what you call explosive.

Mashburn was 1 of the best I've ever seen play in College but he wasn't what you would call explosive. Most explosive SF I've seen at UK was Anderson or Mercer.

First thought was DA but mash really did play sf and was the more accomplished player....depends on what you call explosive.

No Mash didn't play SF, much more than he played PG or C, he wasn't also wasn't either of those even though he did it all!

Anderson & Mercer were a dynamic duo, especially with Pitino's style of play. Mercer was the more talented, but Anderson loved to play the game. If Mercer played as hard as Anderson & had the same desire, he could have been one of the all time greats.

What is Mercer doing these days? Last I heard he was going to be an assistant for Pitino @ UL

Anderson & Mercer were a dynamic duo, especially with Pitino's style of play. Mercer was the more talented, but Anderson loved to play the game. If Mercer played as hard as Anderson & had the same desire, he could have been one of the all time greats.

What is Mercer doing these days? Last I heard he was going to be an assistant for Pitino @ UL
If I remember correctly, Kentucky became a better club down the stretch when Pitino decided to start DA over RM. Mercer still played and contributed, of course, but I believe DA helped the club a bit more overall.

29214994_906439292857579_4384251402566762496_n.jpg

Ron lives down near Nashville. He owns some successful businesses. Doing well, a loving father.

Was kind enough to bring his championship ring by, let me try it on. Awesome. I asked about the ' 97 runner-up ring .... he said it's never been out of the box. :chairshot:

Last edited:
Mercer was probably the best SF, though, outside of Mashburn.

It's worth noting that, even though they both get called SFs, both Mash and Mercer played most of their time at the PF spot.

Mercer didn't move over to the 3 spot until Derek Anderson got injured more than halfway through his final season here.

ADVERTISEMENT