ADVERTISEMENT

Football Roland Walder transferring

Saw this coming. Got lost on the Depth Chart just like Firios and the other LB that transferred to BGSU.

Saw this coming. Got lost on the Depth Chart just like Firios and the other LB that transferred to BGSU.

Lost on the depth chart? He was a RS Freshman, and the starter is graduating in 2017. Jamin Davis wasn't playing the same spot, was he? Otherwise, he was going to be competing with Kash Daniel for the starting MLB in 2018 as a RS-So.

Sorry, it's hard for me to make the comparison to Firios, Laster or Kobie Walker, who were all in the rising JR or SR class.

Lost on the depth chart? He was a RS Freshman, and the starter is graduating in 2017. Jamin Davis wasn't playing the same spot, was he? Otherwise, he was going to be competing with Kash Daniel for the starting MLB in 2018 as a RS-So.

Sorry, it's hard for me to make the comparison to Firios, Laster or Kobie Walker, who were all in the rising JR or SR class.
Kash will be the Mike starter next year. Yes, Walder could've competed for time but he didn't and why do you suppose he transferred?

Walker only touched the field on Special Teams. And that's when he wasn't injuried.

Laster was injuried for most of last season and was an OLB and judging off the spring game, he wasn't going to see much time behind Allen and Jamar Watson at Sam LB

Last edited:
Kash will be the Mike starter next year. Yes, Walder could've competed for time but he didn't and why do you suppose he transferred?

Walker only touched the field on Special Teams. And that's when he wasn't injuried.

Laster was injuried for most of last season and was an OLB and judging off the spring game, he wasn't going to see much time behind Allen and Jamar Watson at Sam LB

First off, I think my post may have seemed misleading as I don't fault the kid b/c I know everyone wants to play if they are working as hard as they do.

I don't disagree with anything you said about the other guys transferring...they were upper classmen with no apparent chance to break through on the depth chart. That's why Walder is a bit more confusing...he's still young, and he isn't buried deep on the depth chart after 2017.

It may very well be that he doesn't want to compete for the starting position, but if it's only due to the depth, man it seems short-sighted to think you are competing for the starting job, and even if you lose, you are 1 snap away from being the starter...

First off, I think my post may have seemed misleading as I don't fault the kid b/c I know everyone wants to play if they are working as hard as they do.

I don't disagree with anything you said about the other guys transferring...they were upper classmen with no apparent chance to break through on the depth chart. That's why Walder is a bit more confusing...he's still young, and he isn't buried deep on the depth chart after 2017.

It may very well be that he doesn't want to compete for the starting position, but if it's only due to the depth, man it seems short-sighted to think you are competing for the starting job, and even if you lose, you are 1 snap away from being the starter...

Its a different generation today, I want it NOW.

Scanning the roster looks like 14 returning letter men. Granted some only performed as special team players. To me line backing unit is second behind o. line as strength of squad!
Best overall recruiting I've seen in my life time for UK football!

Walder is a good football player. Our defensive roster has gotten a lot better in the last 2 recruiting classes. Our linebacker roster is amazingly better now. Walder could have played some here, but he was never going to play a lot because we have so many talented, young linebackers.

As we continue to improve our recruiting year after year, transfers like this are inevitable. It is not a bad sign, but more of a good sign that we have so much talent at his position, he doesn't feel like staying is the best choice.

At the high level we are recruiting, I expect to see more transfers due to being passed up on the depth chart by younger, more talented players.

Best of luck to this young man, Thank you for joining the University of Kentucky and we wish things could've worked out better for you in the program!

This happens all the time in big boy football. Sucks that it shakes out this way, but thanks for being a cat and I wish you the best in your destination.

Walder was moved to MLB this spring after practicing at Will last fall. Those fall 2016 depth charts were as follows:

MLB
Love RSJr
Ka Daniel Fr
N Firios RSSo

WLB
Jones So
Brown RSFr
Roland Walder Fr

and then this spring the depth chart was:

MLB
Love RSSR
Ka Daniel So
Roland Walder RSFr

WLB
Jones Jr
Brown RSSo
Davis Fr

With Love having to leave after this season and Ka Daniel the only other returnee at Mike then lack of playing time or opportunity could NOT be a reason to leave. What is apparent to me is it appears that Walder didn't take to the move from Will to Mike and likely is going somewhere that he can play Will in a 3-4 or Sam or Will in a 4-3.

Walder was moved to MLB this spring after practicing at Will last fall. Those fall 2016 depth charts were as follows:

MLB
Love RSJr
Ka Daniel Fr
N Firios RSSo

WLB
Jones So
Brown RSFr
Roland Walder Fr

MLB
Love RSSR
Ka Daniel So
Roland Walder RSFr

WLB
Jones Jr
Brown RSSo
Davis Fr

With Love having to leave after this season and Ka Daniel the only other returnee at Mike then lack of playing time or opportunity could NOT be a reason to leave. What is apparent to me is it appears that Walder didn't take to the move from Will to Mike and likely is going somewhere that he can play Will in a 3-4 or Sam or Will in a 4-3.

Yes I was surprised to see his name at MLB this spring.

MLB
Love RSJr
Ka Daniel Fr
N Firios RSSo

WLB
Jones So
Brown RSFr
Roland Walder Fr

MLB
Love RSSR
Ka Daniel So
Roland Walder RSFr

WLB
Jones Jr
Brown RSSo
Davis Fr

RV - your depth chart above is why I also was questioning playing time as a reason to transfer. It would be curious if your theory is correct b/c I would think any player would be better off in the long run to be elite speed at one position (MLB) as opposed to average or slightly above average at another (WLB).

ADVERTISEMENT