ADVERTISEMENT

Rogers in portal

Whether anyone else is doing it or not is irrelevant to my point. It IS something that Mitch could do to help keep our program competitive. Would some of the non-revenue sports have to cut back, sure. This hasnt been something athletic dept’s have had to deal with for a long enough time, so how do you know that it won’t be used in the very near future? Why won’t Mitch be the groundbreaker for it???

I’ll tell you why, because he would have to GIVE UP some of his CONTROL over UK Athletics.

You KNOW it. That’s why you are CONSTANTLY defending him and have been for years.
Mitch could rob banks and give the money to collectives. That’s something he could do to help out program be competitive. LOL at these KSR cult members and the ignorant nonsense they constantly spew.

Hayes has not been close to as good as Rogers…I don’t get why a debate here.
No reason to debate. Rogers is gone. Next man up. Walker starts at NG whether Rogers returns or not, IMO. Hayes and someone else will have to back him up. We have reasonable depth at the other two DL positions. Hopefully, our returners work really hard in the off season to improve.

No reason to debate. Rogers is gone. Next man up. Walker starts at NG whether Rogers returns or not, IMO. Hayes and someone else will have to back him up. We have reasonable depth at the other two DL positions. Hopefully, our returners work really hard in the off season to improve.
True...it is what it is . But let's not act like our ability to take away the run game..which in turn makes teams one dimensional and our defense can be suffocating will not take a step back with this DL rotation

DE: Rybka?
NG: Walker/Hayes/Dinkins
DT: A bigger Oxendine/Saunders

vs. what it was shaping to be

DE: Ox/Rybka
NG: Rogers/Hayes/Dinkins
DT: Walker/Ox

You can't run at Rogers - Ox - Walker Dline. And that keeps the interior Lber pretty clean to make all kinds of tackles. Those guys are big part of why Jacquez Jones, Square, Wallace, DeRyck Jackson are so impactful.

True...it is what it is . But let's not act like our ability to take away the run game..which in turn makes teams one dimensional and our defense can be suffocating will not take a step back with this DL rotation

DE: Rybka?
NG: Walker/Hayes/Dinkins
DT: A bigger Oxendine/Saunders

vs. what it was shaping to be

DE: Ox/Rybka
NG: Rogers/Hayes/Dinkins
DT: Walker/Ox
Agreed. Rogers and Hayes on the line together would make UK’s defense next year, again, one of the best in the country. I think, however, Walker is better at NG than Rogers and I hope we have talent that can fill those other spots. Hayes needs to get healthy and work like crazy to be his best.

Agreed. Rogers and Hayes on the line together would make UK’s defense next year, again, one of the best in the country. I think, however, Walker is better at NG than Rogers and I hope we have talent that can fill those other spots. Hayes needs to get healthy and work like crazy to be his best.
Again, Rogers at NT freed up Walker to be a DT and an AA. Would Walker at NT free up Ox or Saunders to play at a higher level? Guess we'll find out in time although I don't think it's a given Rogers hauls ass. If Rogers looks at McCall/Q he should see where he needs to be.

Reactions: delk4three
Stoops ought to donate the 2 million dollar raise to the collective. He didn’t deserve it anyway and it would help recruiting and retaining kids.
He tried to do just that but was told it was against the rules.

Highest bidder will win this free agent

Just hope he doesn't have any teammates who see all the serious football programs willing to pay oh so much more than us

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Does the transfer from Oh State get any PT next year and, if so, at what position - DE? Anyone else who may step up?

Does the transfer from Oh State get any PT next year and, if so, at what position - DE? Anyone else who may step up?
Henry-Young is a DE...not really a NG or DT. And given he didn't sniff the field...I'd argue he is not to the level of ability as was Rogers.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Again, Rogers at NT freed up Walker to be a DT and an AA. Would Walker at NT free up Ox or Saunders to play at a higher level? Guess we'll find out in time although I don't think it's a given Rogers hauls ass. If Rogers looks at McCall/Q he should see where he needs to be.
I agree with your last comment, but I am not sure that is how he will view it. KSR had a report that UK’s defense was top 5 this past year. One would think playing on a top 5 defense for a program that has created NFL NGs would be a good place to continue your development. But, then, UM has holes to fill and Rogers may think that sounds better.

Reactions: mrschwump
Henry-Young is a DE...not really a NG or DT. And given he didn't sniff the field...I'd argue he is not to the level of ability as was Rogers.
Would agree that he wasn't to Rogers ability...this year (and, of course, maybe never). Perhaps after a year in our system, hopefully putting on some good weight (wasn't he like 255, i.e., too light for DE unless it's obvious passing situations/rush package?), brush up on some technique, etc., he can be a contributor. If he's got the goods, I'd love to see him in rush package at 265 coming around one end with K. Wade coming from the other side. I did notice that White, late in the season, went more and more to 1 or 2 big guys with 2+ smaller/LBs on obvious passing downs. No way 3 big guys are ever gonna get to the QB, imo. I'd love to see maybe 1 big guy (Walker) and 3+ faster, smaller guys giving the QB hell next year, but that's just me.

Would agree that he wasn't to Rogers ability...this year (and, of course, maybe never). Perhaps after a year in our system, hopefully putting on some good weight (wasn't he like 255, i.e., too light for DE unless it's obvious passing situations/rush package?), brush up on some technique, etc., he can be a contributor. If he's got the goods, I'd love to see him in rush package at 265 coming around one end with K. Wade coming from the other side. I did notice that White, late in the season, went more and more to 1 or 2 big guys with 2+ smaller/LBs on obvious passing downs. No way 3 big guys are ever gonna get to the QB, imo. I'd love to see maybe 1 big guy (Walker) and 3+ faster, smaller guys giving the QB hell next year, but that's just me.
White used what was essentially a 4-man front a few times in obvious passing situations with Wright/Weaver as DEs and Ox/Walker as DTs. Interesting look. Henry-Young played a little late in the year. A guy I really like is Noah Matthews, I think he'll be a star one day as a likely Jack-type.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Our NIL is currently dependent on a very few big donors. This is not sustainable. 2) Our AD is very opposed to NIL, and is not energetically promoting NIL.

1 is true because of 2. The AD should be courting donors for nil. Big ones. It's extreme laziness to punt it to the average fan. Plus you can bank that no flush program is getting their bank roll from blue collar folks at $25 per month.

The average fan should take it for what it is - an absolute slap in the face from an out of touch ad.

Barnhart views NIL as a zero sum game. Every dollar donated to a collective is one dollar less in K Fund, 1 dollar less to non-revenue generating no attendance generating sports, 1 dollar less to JMI.

@bigblueinsanity & @JHB4UK, I'm just responding to both because I read both replies at same time.

To @bigblueinsanity point, I think it will take 2-3 years to see the results of "Few big donors -vs- many small contributions." The Mon night football tragedy was terrible, and I pray the player has a full recovery. It was interesting to see his charity go from approx $2500 to over $5 mil in one day. I heard radio report that it was over $2.5 mil at lunch. The interesting thing was the average contribution was $28. That's a bad illustration, but does show the power of an average gift.

Many NPOs thrive on small donations. They know the large donations are like the skeleton of their revenue plan, but rely on small donations to complete the plan. I'll never view an NIL Collective like an NPO. (I don't think many fans will.) Thus, it is imperative the average fan receive something in return for their contribution. Tailgating events, events during offseason, opportunities to hang out with coaches, video conferences, etc ... are imperative rewards for soliciting small contributions.

@JHB4UK, I don't know how Barnhart views NIL today. I agree with you that it appears this was his initial position. I'm guessing that AD's know NIL/Collectives are essential for future success. I don't expect MB to be the cheerleader, rah rah guy. Yet, he needs to enlist 3-4 key people to travel the state and be these people. They need to do barnstorming trips during the offseason. Most towns in Ky would love to host a UK representative to hear someone tell stories about UK sports plus learn how the common person can help UK sports. (I remember as a young man hearing Cawood at a corporate dinner. He told stories for about 30 minutes. People would have listened for hours. He was funny, engaging, and I heard stories I'd never heard before.) I'll never forget this line. "Bill Curry was visiting me in Harlan Co when his wife received the death threat. I told Bill not to worry, people in Harlan Co threaten to kill each other all the time. (Long pause) I didn't want to tell him that many of them make good on their threats."

Well, I ventured off into story telling. I agree, it will be interesting to see how MB handles NIL/Collectives. They are an important part of SEC sports moving forward. I believe the common fan is contributing heavily in Tn and other states. At least, the collectives claim to be supported by small contributions. But, people will not contribute until someone connects and begins telling good stories and gives people chances to get together with other groups of fans.

Barnhart views NIL as a zero sum game. Every dollar donated to a collective is one dollar less in K Fund, 1 dollar less to non-revenue generating no attendance generating sports, 1 dollar less to JMI.
Only K Fund donations UK receives are connected to season tickets and suites. As if fans were just donating to the program or JMI. UK athletics has a nearly $150 million budget and does it with minuscule donations from fans. LOL at Barnhart fretting over the also minuscule donations that are made to collectives as if that’s gonna bring UK athletics to its knees. Any nonsense for the narrative.

So Rogers is visiting LSU/Miami so I'm assuming they offer......so now does UK come back with a counteroffer? Can't believe UK would let him walk so easily.

So Rogers is visiting LSU/Miami so I'm assuming they offer......so now does UK come back with a counteroffer? Can't believe UK would let him walk so easily.
Not enough money at UK. Fans & boosters too tight fisted. Just barely enough to pay the top guys.

If they offer Rogers more money then about 10 or 15 teammates are gonna be left wondering why they weren't paid more. They will question why it takes going in the portal on visits to get UK to pay up.

He gone

Says alot. Imo he is valued but not overly so. They can replace his production but I'm sure they wanted to keep him if they could.

Thus, it is imperative the average fan receive something in return for their contribution. Tailgating events, events during offseason, opportunities to hang out with coaches, video conferences, etc ... are imperative rewards for soliciting small contributions.

Plus they need to better describe exactly where fans money go. If I give $25 per month - who gets it? Who decides who gets it? Way too much information missing

He tried to do just that but was told it was against the rules.
Lol he did not try to donate money. He knows he’s not allowed. It’s easy to say “Geez I would totally donate a ton if only I could” when you know you’ll never have to.

Weird tweet. Wonder if he’s weighing going pro or portal. Also could be completely unrelated to football lol

He definitely didn't look completely focused in either the UL or Iowa game. I think he definitely wants to be done. Not sure how much of a pro prospect he is or if it will even matter

It’s just the nature of the beast. South Carolina is losing Burch a 5* from Columbia to the portal. There are always going to be teams that have more money than UK for football. We got 3 or 4 years from Rogers and if he’s being offered more somewhere else it is what it is. Can’t fault the kid. Sure UK could try to come up with more money but against the LSU and Miami of the world that will always be a losing proposition.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT