ADVERTISEMENT

Road trip

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
For those who have traveled to road games, do you recommend buying tix thru UK or another source? I am contemplating the trip to Texas. I don’t own a bucket list, but if I did, a game at College Station would be on it. I plan to check that box in October.

Any advice from the more experienced away game fans?

Reactions: bluecoon1
I buy through UK. I’m also going to College Station for the first time. Can’t wait.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I like to think over the past 2 years I have influenced some (many ???) here to make plans to make the road trip to College Station. :D I am thinking very hard about missing the UofL home game that weekend and returning to College Station to see for myself if game day there is still what it was before.

I had very good seats on that trip many years ago but I had some connections back then. And the stadium was about 25,000 seats smaller than what it is now. The only seating advice I can offer is if you buy "outside" the visitor's section you will likely be in crowd that stands the entire game. The standing tradition is "mandatory" in the near 40,000 seat student section but, unless they have gotten too old, was a staple throughout the stadium when I was there in the 90s.

Peace

I’ve been to Mizzou, South Carolina, and Alabama on the road and plan to go to A&M this season. I always scalp. Nothing better than road games

I admire you hardy travelers. I gave it up in football. Watching UK lose just bothered me too much.

Maybe we can all road trip together in a big ass RV. I’ll supply the beer and drive until I feel like I’m ready to pass out.

I’ve been to Columbia, Athens, and Gainesville. I’d love to hit games in Texas, Bama, and Baton Rouge.

For those who have traveled to road games, do you recommend buying tix thru UK or another source? I am contemplating the trip to Texas. I don’t own a bucket list, but if I did, a game at College Station would be on it. I plan to check that box in October.

Away game tickets through UK are generally in the end zone corners or other less desirable spots, so if you're looking for "good" seats you can do better elsewhere. On the other hand, it's more fun to sit amongst BBN, especially if we're competitive/winning, so you have to set your priorities. Always fun to run into Blue on the road, restaurants, sight-seeing, tailgating, Cat Walk....

I like to think over the past 2 years I have influenced some (many ???) here to make plans to make the road trip to College Station. :D I am thinking very hard about missing the UofL home game that weekend and returning to College Station to see for myself if game day there is still what it was before.

I had very good seats on that trip many years ago but I had some connections back then. And the stadium was about 25,000 seats smaller than what it is now. The only seating advice I can offer is if you buy "outside" the visitor's section you will likely be in crowd that stands the entire game. The standing tradition is "mandatory" in the near 40,000 seat student section but, unless they have gotten too old, was a staple throughout the stadium when I was there in the 90s.

Peace

I am good with that. I only sit at UK games because the people in front of me sit. I prefer to stand.

Away game tickets through UK are generally in the end zone corners or other less desirable spots, so if you're looking for "good" seats you can do better elsewhere. On the other hand, it's more fun to sit amongst BBN, especially if we're competitive/winning, so you have to set your priorities. Always fun to run into Blue on the road, restaurants, sight-seeing, tailgating, Cat Walk....

I like both. Being with UK fans, but also getting to speak with opposing fans. I hear the TAMU fans are good people.

Maybe we can all road trip together in a big ass RV. I’ll supply the beer and drive until I feel like I’m ready to pass out.

I’ve been to Columbia, Athens, and Gainesville. I’d love to hit games in Texas, Bama, and Baton Rouge.

How many beers do you have before you feel like you're ready to pass out, lol.

Just kidding, just kidding.

Sounds like a lot of people are going to make the trip to College Station. I’m way too excited about that trip.

Buying tickets for road games through UK sometimes isn’t as easy as it ought to be. But if you can get them through UK, that’s usually your cheapest option.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Maybe we can all road trip together in a big ass RV...

Excuse me!!! It's not that big.

I agree. I would add that IMO every UK football fan should make at least one SEC away game, excluding Vandy and maybe Mizzou, to watch and learn and take in what being an SEC football fan is and should be.

Nothing beats going to away games IMO. There is usually no easier ticket on anyone's schedule than the Kentucky game. You can often get tickets for free -- or very close to it -- on gameday.

I plan on going to College Station this fall as well.
Went there for a UK/A&M basketball game. There was a lot of blue there.

I would add that IMO every UK football fan should make at least one SEC away game, excluding Vandy and maybe Mizzou, to watch and learn and take in what being an SEC football fan is and should be.
Agree. I have been to away games at most of the SEC stadiums. Memorable experiences.

I like both. Being with UK fans, but also getting to speak with opposing fans. I hear the TAMU fans are good people.
I too like to cordially engage with the opposing fans. Seldom get the opportunity because Mrs. WildCard prefers to sit with the Cardinal crowd.

FWIW, the "worst" football environment I have experienced was at WV (however due to students, not adult fans). But the all time worse fans I ever suffered (students, fans, game announcing, everything) was the Memphis basketball crowd at the old Mid South Colosseum. Really ugly atmosphere for a visiting Louisville fan.

Peace

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Back in the Couch days we traveled with a group out of Danville KY, call Blue Diamond tours, it was great they handled the rooms, the food, and the tickets. What was best, they were able usually to drive right up to the stadium and we would get off at the gate and after the game be right there to pick us up. A great 4 years of travel with them.

I hope to go to a&m this year, might be interested in a tour if available!would be a long ride on a bus though so I don't know.

I do a road game or two a year.

Usually do Vandy, and have been to about everywhere else other than UF, and Auburn.

I buy from UK, and sit in the midst of the mist. Have had great times at SC and Mizzou most recently, as we out cheered the home folks (late in winning games).

The opposing fans are usually cool, and it seems that there are less drunks/fights/rude behavior each year.

Maybe I'm just getting too damn old to drink, fight and act rudely.

Went to LSU a couple of years ago, and after decades of hearing horror stories, I heard only one fan shout "Tiger Bait" . . . . a 10 year old kid whose mom nearly tore his arm off when he did it.

South Carolina surprised me the most. I expected a real "SEC atmosphere" at most places, but damn, that 30 minute pregame experience was pretty damn impressive, for a team that has struggled, of late, especially.

I hope to go to a&m this year, might be interested in a tour if available!would be a long ride on a bus though so I don't know.

Not sure if any tours are still around but Travel Crazy was the last one that we went on. They plan so many things and play so many games on the bus that time passes quickly. Plus because the average age was about 70 they would stop often for bathroom breaks and allow you to stretch your legs. Seats were nice and big so taking a nap was awesome letting someone else drive, lol.

The last 10 years, the worst stories I've heard have been from WV and Rutgers.
WV has a way of turning just about any opponent into a "hated rival". To the point of some teams swearing to never go back.

My first time there we parked the car in a somewhat distant lot and courtesy bussed over to the stadium. At one end of the stadium the adjacent land is significantly lower than the area we were walking through.

I heard a lot of music coming from that "hole" and walked over to take a look. The depressed area (I later learned was called "the pit") was absolutely crammed with fans (almost all students) and had several sound stages in full gear. I started to venture down and an adult WV passerby fan gently grasped my arm and politely said: "Sir, I appreciate you for coming but I would not go down there if I were you".

That was more than enough and we went straight to the stadium. I was a bit surprised to find the visitor section was literally fenced off from the adjacent home section. But they had hosts and hostesses "working" the visitor section saying "Thanks for coming".

I see you have been to a game in Baton Rouge - that is a place on my football bucket list.

Peace

I've been to two games in College Station. Saw them play Nebraska one year and Iowa State a couple years later. Go to the bars around campus on Friday night and follow everyone over to the stadium for midnight yell practice. One of the coolest traditions in college football.

Go to the bars around campus on Friday night and follow everyone over to the stadium for midnight yell practice.

Will do. I had asked for instructions on yell practice, thinking it was held indoors.

I see you have been to a game in Baton Rouge - that is a place on my football bucket list.

One of the more unique places I've been.

I'll tell my story, again, as I love to hear my lips flap.

Two hours prior to kickoff, my posse and I are driving in, with a 20-something doing the driving for the old folks. I tell him to just drive toward the stadium (per the Garmin) until he sees someone holding a sign for pay/parking. There is no traffic at lights on two lane streets that resemble the streets of Danville, Kentucky. I assume we are a long way from the stadium, so I lean my seat back and close my eyes.

Five minutes later, we hit a red light, and are the only car at the light. I hear the Garmin say, "Take a left onto Stadium Drive." I straighten my seat, look to the left, and see the rear end of the UK team bus 150 feet within the stadium chained-link fence. The Garmin had directed us to enter the damn stadium gate!!

We take a right and park at a grade school, and their little league coaches are operating a mini-bus service back the 5 blocks or so to the stadium.

I hop out of the mini-bus at the stadium and approach a uniformed officer and ask him "where is all the traffic." We are standing in the middle of a deserted street 100 feet from a stadium gate."

He looks confused for a second, repeating part of my question to himself . . . "all of the traffic?" And then he says, "oh, are you talking about traffic for the game?" I say, "uh, yes," and he says "oh, they all get here the night before, or early the morning of the game. There has been no traffic to speak of on these streets for hours, now."

The student body sits in the single deck end zone seats, I think, in the western end of the stadium. It is steep. I think it is the steepest portion of a stadium I have ever seen . . . . like a human wall. The "Golden Girls" are about a third of the way up, maybe on a little platform.

Mid-way of the third Q, one of the friendly fans (they were all pretty nice) tells me to take a glance at the student body . . . . and all that is left is a smattering of a few hundred, and the Golden Girls, kind of abandoned. So he tells me that is typical. I say, "but if we were Bama and giving you a good game, they would still be here," and he shakes his head "no," and smiles, and says that is simply a tradition for the SB to head home at the half???

I have been to, what, 20 major stadiums, and LSU is the only one I have seen without a traffic jam, 2 hours before kickoff . . . . The locals will tell you the story explaining why there are little windows on the exterior of the stadium walls . . . . Huey Long got a bill passed in the thirties to built "classrooms," but one side of the "classroom" building was sloped to allow football seating . . . . They are still there, but are empty, and no longer used for classes.

I do a road game or two a year.

Usually do Vandy, and have been to about everywhere else other than UF, and Auburn.

I buy from UK, and sit in the midst of the mist. Have had great times at SC and Mizzou most recently, as we out cheered the home folks (late in winning games).

The opposing fans are usually cool, and it seems that there are less drunks/fights/rude behavior each year.

Maybe I'm just getting too damn old to drink, fight and act rudely.

Went to LSU a couple of years ago, and after decades of hearing horror stories, I heard only one fan shout "Tiger Bait" . . . . a 10 year old kid whose mom nearly tore his arm off when he did it.

South Carolina surprised me the most. I expected a real "SEC atmosphere" at most places, but damn, that 30 minute pregame experience was pretty damn impressive, for a team that has struggled, of late, especially.
I have attended road games at South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Vandy, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, LSU. By far the coolest stadium is Georgia, but Bryant Denny also a fun experience. We were treated well everywhere but Knoxville. Over the years, have also been to road games at North Carolina, Clemson, IU, Penn State, UL. Most people are pretty nice everywhere, but UL’s crowd is horrible.

A&M is the only SEC away game I have yet to cross off my list. Most SEC crowds are courteous (sans ut) but ul fans suck and I won't ever return there.

I am going to A&M as well this fall. I bought through UK for Bama two years ago and it was fun because ended up sitting next to JD Harmon's family and it was cool talking to them. Last year, I waited too late for USC and had to buy from online one section over from UK, which was still fun, but I like being with all the UK fans so I recommend just going through them.

Good story Hack! The only SEC campus games I have made are TN and AL (many years back). TN is big but, IMO, nothing special. In Tuscaloosa, I recall walking through a huge lot of trailers. When I finally hit the row closest to the stadium I asked the guy when did get there to get a spot like that? "Wednesday" he drawled. [laughing]

Naturally the Cards got clobbered but we fell in with some 'Bama fans who took us around the campus followed by drinks and dinner. Still have a very worn out Big Al tee shirt.

Peace

Yeah, I would rank UT's pregame as about as good as UK's . . . . and Mizzou and Vandy below that.

Do a South Carolina game. VERY impressive pregame, that lasts for 30 minutes (or more).

Arkansas was OK. The call of the Hogs was impressive, and I'm envious of the variety of their Hog paraphernalia. Hogs on caps jumping through the "A", and hogs sitting on top of the "A," etc., etc. Our cheerleaders petted the one ton razorback in the huge trailer, behind the big red Chevy truck. A hog fan said some years ago the big hog bit an arm off, but the hog they had on my trip looked pretty content to lay and get petted.

Will do. I had asked for instructions on yell practice, thinking it was held indoors.

One of the more unique places I've been.

I'll tell my story, again, as I love to hear my lips flap.

Two hours prior to kickoff, my posse and I are driving in, with a 20-something doing the driving for the old folks. I tell him to just drive toward the stadium (per the Garmin) until he sees someone holding a sign for pay/parking. There is no traffic at lights on two lane streets that resemble the streets of Danville, Kentucky. I assume we are a long way from the stadium, so I lean my seat back and close my eyes.

Five minutes later, we hit a red light, and are the only car at the light. I hear the Garmin say, "Take a left onto Stadium Drive." I straighten my seat, look to the left, and see the rear end of the UK team bus 150 feet within the stadium chained-link fence. The Garmin had directed us to enter the damn stadium gate!!

We take a right and park at a grade school, and their little league coaches are operating a mini-bus service back the 5 blocks or so to the stadium.

I hop out of the mini-bus at the stadium and approach a uniformed officer and ask him "where is all the traffic." We are standing in the middle of a deserted street 100 feet from a stadium gate."

He looks confused for a second, repeating part of my question to himself . . . "all of the traffic?" And then he says, "oh, are you talking about traffic for the game?" I say, "uh, yes," and he says "oh, they all get here the night before, or early the morning of the game. There has been no traffic to speak of on these streets for hours, now."

The student body sits in the single deck end zone seats, I think, in the western end of the stadium. It is steep. I think it is the steepest portion of a stadium I have ever seen . . . . like a human wall. The "Golden Girls" are about a third of the way up, maybe on a little platform.

Mid-way of the third Q, one of the friendly fans (they were all pretty nice) tells me to take a glance at the student body . . . . and all that is left is a smattering of a few hundred, and the Golden Girls, kind of abandoned. So he tells me that is typical. I say, "but if we were Bama and giving you a good game, they would still be here," and he shakes his head "no," and smiles, and says that is simply a tradition for the SB to head home at the half???

I have been to, what, 20 major stadiums, and LSU is the only one I have seen without a traffic jam, 2 hours before kickoff . . . . The locals will tell you the story explaining why there are little windows on the exterior of the stadium walls . . . . Huey Long got a bill passed in the thirties to built "classrooms," but one side of the "classroom" building was sloped to allow football seating . . . . They are still there, but are empty, and no longer used for classes.

Neat story. thanks.

Now if we can just get the audio working so we can hear your lips flapping, that would be great, lol.

A&M is the only SEC away game I have yet to cross off my list. Most SEC crowds are courteous (sans ut) but ul fans suck and I won't ever return there.
Ones I will never go to again: UofL and UF.
I oddly have enjoyed my trips to Neyland.
By far my favorite: Auburn
I looked into TAMU when the schedule was announced - if you can find a decent hotel within 50 miles at less than $400/per, let me know.

Ones I will never go to again: UofL and UF.
I oddly have enjoyed my trips to Neyland.
By far my favorite: Auburn
I looked into TAMU when the schedule was announced - if you can find a decent hotel within 50 miles at less than $400/per, let me know.

I went to the Auburn game in 65 while working on the Saturn rocket in Huntsville, huge crowd and awesome watching the War Eagle circle the field. Alas, we lost the game although we had a FEW (Thin Thirty) of the most talented players we have ever had, Norton and Bird, (offense AND defense) #1s, Ball, Kestner, Davis, some others but no depth.

Nothing beats winning on an opponents field. S. Miss was a great trip last year but their fans were so damn polite that it took the fun out of it. If I heard "Welcome to Hattiesburg" one more time........

See you all in College Station. Bunch of us are going down.

Book your hotel now... helpful hint. Place is about booked up AND expensive. Staying right near campus.

Kyle Field ain’t got nuthin on the Krog.

I'm sure the College Station area fills up quick. Houston is about 100 miles away; about 20 miles further than Lexington from Louisville. Plenty of hotels in Houston.

Peace

See you all in College Station. Bunch of us are going down.

Book your hotel now... helpful hint. Place is about booked up AND expensive. Staying right near campus.

Kyle Field ain’t got nuthin on the Krog.

Yeah, besides over 40,000 more seats AND $400,000,000 spent recently on stadium improvements. Not to mention spending $75,000,000 on ONE coach.

But someone else said it might be hard to find rooms less that $400, in Texas they do everything big, including ripping you off I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT