ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Barrett: “We have to be the cutest class”

I hope they watched the Cats play in the Bahamas. If so, I bet they shat themselves knowing that we are going to whoop that dookie ass in November.

Getting a lot of snow on the mountaintop so my memory ain't what it used to be, but... wasn't it a Dukie got himself teabagged at a frat party, and the pictures made public? Or did I just dream that? Because it seems to be a very Dukie thing to do.
I'm thinking that was a UNCheats player. Probably got an A for the course too.

Reactions: Newcattitudes
I cannot wait for this game. I assume it will be like #1 vs. #3. I believe KJ will shut down RJ and Zion will struggle going against grown men instead of dunking on small white children LOL. You never know they might be pretty good, but I can't see the pcs fitting together and I see RJ being a ball hog and pissing people off. Bolden will not be able to do anything against Nick, PJ, EJ and Reid. I see them struggling from outside and RJ taking way too many shots with KJ all over him or even Ashton like a fly in his face all day. This will bring them crashing back down to earth with along way to go to get the frosh ready. I think we beat them by at least 8-10. Can't wait!

Watched the video - well half of it - and honestly, don't know what some of you expect.

The whole premise was lame - the questions that Barrett was reading were beyond dumb - They were just trying to have fun with it. None of this is going to have any bearing on our game or the season going forward. No matter how lame those guys looked in that skit, all of those guys can ball.

Having said that - I thank god everyday that our team turned out the way it did. I look forward to a beatdown on November 6th.

Lol, I just want to point a few things out. Your analysis is pretty poor.
Duke has not been able to guard anybody in man-to-man in the OAD era. If they zone UK, they’re going to get absolutely blistered because UK has a lot of really, really good shooters. UK also has more capability of going 4 out and 1 in, or even 5 out on offense, than Duke has (let’s be real here. Bolden can’t shoot, Zion can’t shoot, Barrett has always had a pretty poor jumper, and Tre Jones is leaves a lot to be desired in regards to 3 point shooting over the course of his career. Cam Reddish is your only semi-consistent 3 point and free throw shooting threat, and the dude is fairly streaky, and super soft.
Mind you, when I say that these Duke players can’t shoot, I’m looking at shooting mechanics, historical numbers, so on and so forth.
I just don’t see Duke having the firepower from outside to be able to score effectively on UK, and if Duke is going to try to take it down low, the reality is they’re going to go against a deeper, more talented overall, and more experienced frontcourt than they have.

I think O'Connell is going to be their best shooter, but he's unlikely to get a lot of PT, because he won't be able to guard any 2 guard worth a damn.

It’s not homophobia and I certainly didn’t mean it that way - no serious basketball player, gay or straight, should be worried about being “the cutest team”. WTF? It just seems so arrogant and vapid.

To me it also reflects the fact the Duke tends to attract recruits who are a little too concerned with image and want the prestige of the Duke brand . We attract blue collar warriors. I’ll take that all day long.

Still can’t believe he said it - even as a joke. Can you imagine Keldon Johnson uttering those words?

Lol, I just want to point a few things out. Your analysis is pretty poor.
Duke has not been able to guard anybody in man-to-man in the OAD era. If they zone UK, they’re going to get absolutely blistered because UK has a lot of really, really good shooters. UK also has more capability of going 4 out and 1 in, or even 5 out on offense, than Duke has (let’s be real here. Bolden can’t shoot, Zion can’t shoot, Barrett has always had a pretty poor jumper, and Tre Jones is leaves a lot to be desired in regards to 3 point shooting over the course of his career. Cam Reddish is your only semi-consistent 3 point and free throw shooting threat, and the dude is fairly streaky, and super soft.
Mind you, when I say that these Duke players can’t shoot, I’m looking at shooting mechanics, historical numbers, so on and so forth.
I just don’t see Duke having the firepower from outside to be able to score effectively on UK, and if Duke is going to try to take it down low, the reality is they’re going to go against a deeper, more talented overall, and more experienced frontcourt than they have.

So Barrett gets the label of having a “pretty poor jumper” but I’m guessing Johnson is included in your list of “really really good shooters” despite Barrett shooting 8%higher from 3 over their hs careers. While I’m sure your mechanical breakdowns are impressive, sometimes you can just read the numbers, check your bias, and be honest. Duke has 3 threats from deep. Deal with that fact. It’s not an overwhelming number but it’s enough to keep defense honest.
As for shutting down the Duke offense, I loved how you disregard the idea that duke could hit any spot up 3’s, won’t ever score inside, but completely forget to give us your expert analysis on how uk would guard Duke off the bounce. Weird that you would leave out the most obvious advantage Duke has in this match up.
I also think it’s great that your historical analysis penalizes Duke for not having good defenses in the oad era (fair) but neglects to note that Duke has lived in the top 5 offenses during the same era.
Uk could very well win this game and they should prob be favored to do so but they are going to have to score like crazy to do it because any notion that they will just shut duke down offensively is pure fantasy.

Last edited:
I hate to say something silly too. duke will NOT be pretty. No they won't. Never was, never will be...

If some people actually knew the meanings to the words they use, they wouldn't use those words a whole lot of the time...

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
So Barrett gets the label of having a “pretty poor jumper” but I’m guessing Johnson is included in your list of “really really good shooters” despite Barrett shooting 8%higher from 3 over their hs careers. While I’m sure your mechanical breakdowns are impressive, sometimes you can just read the numbers, check your bias, and be honest. Duke has 3 threats from deep. Deal with that fact. It’s not an overwhelming number but it’s enough to keep defense honest.
As for shutting down the Duke offense, I loved how you disregard the idea that duke could hit any spot up 3’s, won’t ever score inside, but completely forget to give us your expert analysis on how uk would guard Duke off the bounce. Weird that you would leave out the most obvious advantage Duke has in this match up.
I also think it’s great that your historical analysis penalizes Duke for not having good defenses in the oad era (fair) but neglects to note that Duke has lived in the top 5 offenses during the same era.
Uk could very well win this game and they should prob be favored to do so but they are going to have to score like crazy to do it because any notion that they will just shut duke down offensively is pure fantasy.
Look you turd homer, take this crap back to your board where you all circle jerk to your head rat.
Get lost.

Reactions: -BBH-
Silly to say this. Duke will be damn good. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional, or just plain stupid.

No depth, multiple players who need the ball to play their game, questionable pg play- etc. They have top shelf talent but many of the pieces do not seem to fit.

Good is a relative term, by Duke standards they will not be very good which is Final Four/National Championship good.

So suck them off all you want or cower in the corner in fear, IDGAF

Barrett may be the best player in college basketball this year. He and Reddish will be a dealy pair to try to handle.

That was painful to watch.

1.) Zion wearing an "Adidas" shirt while they are trying to promote Nike "Overtime" gear. Weird.
2.) Barrett is a d-bag. When he asked Reddish who was guarding him when he had like 50 points for Team Canada was in poor taste. Reddish told him he stayed on the bench most of the time because of fouls, but Barrett wouldn't let it go and Reddish looked pissed. Laughing at a teammate is not funny, cute, or cool with me. #Brotherhood
3.) I'm assuming there is a part 2, but it's going to be a HARD pass for me.
4.) Barrett asking Zion how much he weighs while they are doing a promo for McDonald's... Come on.
5.) When Jones was asked about his best game in high school, then he mentioned the game was at 8am, and Zion looked at him like, "8am? What are you doing up that early?"

I dunno... I like UK's kids. I think Calipari and company did a great job judging character and I'm glad Zion, Reddish, Barrett, and Jones all went to Duke.

Btw, I do not think Barrett will be the #1 pick in the NBA Draft next year. I think that will probably go to Fernando at Maryland. Jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catzman

1.) Zion wearing an "Adidas" shirt while they are trying to promote Nike "Overtime" gear. Weird.
2.) Barrett is a d-bag. When he asked Reddish who was guarding him when he had like 50 points for Team Canada was in poor taste. Reddish told him he stayed on the bench most of the time because of fouls, but Barrett wouldn't let it go and Reddish looked pissed. Laughing at a teammate is not funny, cute, or cool with me. #Brotherhood
4.) Barrett asking Zion how much he weighs while they are doing a promo for McDonald's... Come on.
5.) When Jones was asked about his best game in high school, then he mentioned the game was at 8am, and Zion looked at him like, "8am? What are you doing up that early?"

I dunno... I like UK's kids. I think Calipari and company did a great job judging character and I'm glad Zion, Reddish, Barrett, and Jones all went to Duke.

Btw, I do not think Barrett will be the #1 pick in the NBA Draft next year. I don't even think he is going to be the best player in the ACC. I think that will probably go to Fernando at Maryland. Jmo.

We wanted Zion, Reddish, and Barrett badly. We didn't get them. Oh well.

Implying they have poor character is in poor taste.

Maryland is not even in the ACC anymore.

I get the feeling RJ is one of those guys who likes to subtly tear everybody down around him to build himself up - all with a smile and a laugh, so it’s okay, right? Used to have a co-worker like that - he was obnoxious and overbearing, but I thought he was kind of funny until I realized he’d very skillfully made me start doubting myself. That’s going to be an unhappy locker room in a few months.

And what is with all this promo stuff? Overtime? McDonalds? Who’s getting paid for this?

Btw, I do not think Barrett will be the #1 pick in the NBA Draft next year. I don't even think he is going to be the best player in the ACC. I think that will probably go to Fernando at Maryland. Jmo.

Thanks for the recap. I will read your posts but not waste a second reading the cute teams post(s).

Reactions: Cindog28
I didn’t want to have to list all of the teams that have gone small because there are so many of them. I just listed the champs and assumed the concept was obvious from there.
It threw me as well - only because of how you worded it. We were talking Kentucky/Duke - which generally means NCAA and you threw Warriors in there, LOL.

At any rate - appreciate your comments on this thread. Good info and discussion

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I understand that the root word phobia traditionally means “fear of” but that is not it’s only meaning and homophobia does not strictly mean fear of gayness.
giphy.gif

Barrett will be good.
Reddish will be just all right.
Zion will average 7 points a game and have his shot blocked 3 times a game on average. He might hit the rim on 25% of his 3's if he shoots any.

What I'm saying is f.u. Zion and I hope your a bust mfer. I hate on you all day everyday just like the little running back from Richmond who plays for Bama'. Watch those hamstrings boys.

Last edited:
Everything about Duke basketball seems so gay. Is that just me & my bias or everyone think that?

I don't see that with UNC or Kansas. Don't like them but I don't see the weird gay perception I see at Duke.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Silly to say this. Duke will be damn good. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional, or just plain stupid.

Their roster is not as strong as last 2 seasons. They have some talent but roster not nearly as balanced as last 2. They'll be good but they don't have the talented depth of UK or Kansas, nor the solid amount of returning players as a Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT